Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Straight shooter

Garage
I'd not put people's names on here directly - it's a bad idea and has potential to damage reputations. Please edit them out.

“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 02-26-2015, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #281 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapkritis View Post
I'd not put people's names on here directly - it's a bad idea and has potential to damage reputations. Please edit them out.
These are public records, not personal information. But I edited the names out.

The interesting thing here is that Smokey Truck and Auto Sales (AKA Smokey Deals) was at one time a real car lot at 701 S French Street in Sanford.

It is now occupied by a different lot, with a different name that appears to be unaffiliated with the previous business.

Now, about 2 years after the real Smokey lot went out of business, someone has established an elaborate con around the image of the defunct business.

I would guess that the scammer is running this out of Florida, and knew about the previous lot that was closed. If I were a PI, I would start there.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #282 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
At least one other person on this forum has also wired the money for the OP's Targa.

Very sophisticated scam. Unfortunate, as there are very good Pelicanheads in the Orlando area who are willing to help prospective buyers.

Guys, ask for local help. It can't hurt, and can save you pain.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #283 (permalink)
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLB View Post

The interesting thing here is that Smokey Truck and Auto Sales (AKA Smokey Deals) was at one time a real car lot at 701 S French Street in Sanford.

It is now occupied by a different lot, with a different name that appears to be unaffiliated with the previous business.

Now, about 2 years after the real Smokey lot went out of business, someone has established an elaborate con around the image of the defunct business.

I would guess that the scammer is running this out of Florida, and knew about the previous lot that was closed. If I were a PI, I would start there.
What's weird is the Loopnet listing shows that the lot is still unoccupied and available, the picture shows the old Smokey signs, AND the listing shows that it was last updated only 3 days ago.

If Smokey has been gone for 2 years and the lot occupied by someone else, why would the Loopnet ad still be up there, current and updated 3 days ago? Weird.

701 S French St, Sanford, FL, 32771 - Vehicle Related Property for Lease on LoopNet.com
Old 02-26-2015, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #284 (permalink)
Functionista

Moneys in Europe.

Until they nab Popescu (captured and released once already) this will continue to pull people into the trap.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #285 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
Great question... I contacted uship and they won't take it down, even though I pointed them in the direction of the news articles of the conviction, sentencing, etc.

Douche bags supporting douche bags...
That's really scary... I used Uship to bring my '70 VW Beetle from Illinois to PA without any problems, but now I'm worried thier "ratings" system isn't any good. I want to bring an '88 911 from Atlanta area to PA in the Spring so now I have that to worry about.
Yukon Yellow
Old 02-26-2015, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #286 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
What's weird is the Loopnet listing shows that the lot is still unoccupied and available, the picture shows the old Smokey signs, AND the listing shows that it was last updated only 3 days ago.

If Smokey has been gone for 2 years and the lot occupied by someone else, why would the Loopnet ad still be up there, current and updated 3 days ago? Weird.

701 S French St, Sanford, FL, 32771 - Vehicle Related Property for Lease on LoopNet.com
It is definitely an active listing (or was) on the Real Estate MLS: #O5144592 -- and most of the sales links show the building vacant -- and presumably older pictures.

I assume this is because the empty lot shows better than one occupied by sketchy cars. Trulia shows the google street view.

Last edited by COLB; 02-26-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #287 (permalink)
Retired, finally

Garage
I used Uship to get a Supra from Maryland to South Carolina with no problem and it was the dead of winter.

Of course, the guys just could have wanted to leave Maryland really badly.
2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S; 1999 E36 M3 Coupe; 1998 Porsche Boxster; 1989 Toyota Supra ChumpCar; 1989 Alfa Romeo Spider; 1977 Porsche 911S Targa 3.2L"Bwunhilde II" chimera; 1970 Datsun 240Z 2.9L "dogZilla" project
Old 02-26-2015, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #288 (permalink)

This is the case that keeps on giving. Check this out. If you go to google maps street view right now and walk up the side street next to the lot toward French street, when you get to the middle of the intersection and look toward the lot, smokey's lot is there. The image is there only in that spot. Keep arrowing up and when you get near the middle of the intersection, the image switches to an older image, turn your view toward the lot and it shows smokey's. You can clearly read the sign.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #289 (permalink)
Checked out

The only thing sketchier than buying a Porsche sight unseen on the Internet is hiring an auto shipping company.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #290 (permalink)

If you look at that current craigslist ad scroll down to the bottom.
Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.
Craigslist was voted Best Website at this years scammers and con men's annual convention.

Last edited by Derek911; 02-26-2015 at 11:57 AM..
Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #291 (permalink)

I missed this years convention Derek... maybe next year.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #292 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
That's really scary... I used Uship to bring my '70 VW Beetle from Illinois to PA without any problems, but now I'm worried thier "ratings" system isn't any good. I want to bring an '88 911 from Atlanta area to PA in the Spring so now I have that to worry about.
I have never used UShip for transport but I have used several other companies. But if you have ever watched that Shipping Wars show I would never let these idiots touch any car I have owned. They seem to damage everything they ship.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #293 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
I had a wonderful experience when Reliable Auto Carriers shipped my 914-6 from Chicago to last year's Porsche Parade in Monterey. How nice was it to get off the plane, have a text message with the valet number at our hotel, and arrive to find the car parked in a covered spot right by the valet station. The trip back home was handled equally professionally ( though the driver told me he had some folks see the car and ask if it was for sale!).

I'd use them again without hesitation, but you can't be too careful these days.
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 02-26-2015, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #294 (permalink)
Registered

There is no direct affiliation with any businesses and names everyone is posting here. Read this article below:

Europeans recruited for Internet schemes in Florida - Orlando Sentinel

This is what happened to the OP someone opened an account at BofA with fake ID's. The only chance here is that BofA screwed up on not doing due diligence upon opening the account. I hope the OP is concentrating on the bank account paper work.
2012.5 991 Carrera in Platinum Silver
Old 02-26-2015, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #295 (permalink)

Great article. So much for the "Boko Haram" and "Nigerians" referenced earlier.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #296 (permalink)
Registered

I too almost fell victim and the man did indeed have a European accent.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #297 (permalink)
Registered

Stay away from so called cars for sale in the Miami Florida area it's full of scammers
Old 02-26-2015, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #298 (permalink)
Make America Great Again!

They put Scarface on a loop.....miscreants.

PS. My priest had a European accent. I know what you mean.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #299 (permalink)

As I'm finding it's not just South Florida. It's a nationwide scam using Craigslist, AutoTrader and other online outlets. Just this month alone I've found ads in WA, OK, FL, MI, OH, CA tha are all this same sort of deal. The car is a little (or a lot) under valued if everything is ok, but a fair price for something needing hidden work - like a engine rebuild or rust repair and repaint. The seller has a "dealership" or a PPI from a repair shop that is a real name, but the Google earth pics show something different than what the seller is presenting.

I now just ask for an address and a time to meet. No reply from them and that ends it for me. On one deal I talked to an independent mechanic in the area of the "sale" that said he was trying to buy the same car, so that ruled him out for the PPI!

Maybe wer're all looking for something similar... Me? Just trying to find a fair price for a daily driver targa I can afford... just like the OP and likely a lot of you, too.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #300 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: