Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Easter KY add down.

1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 02-27-2015, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #341 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Toledo ad is still up for some reason. Two of us have flagged it already.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #342 (permalink)
Troll Hunter

Garage
What happened with the PI that was hired?
I'd add an attorney contacting BofA and pressuring them.
$30k is $30k and worth another few k to chase this down.

Since they will never show up in person to an inspection or a sale, your only point of contact is with their bank. They could be operating from prison/Russia/east jabib for all we know. The bank is your only hope.

Good luck

Nick
Old 02-28-2015, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #343 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think I would find this guy and send Guido and Vito to say hello
08 GT3 RS (white/black) (modified of course)
67 911S outlaw (sold)
Old 02-28-2015, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #344 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
OK, for those who have more than 3 seconds and want to help. ...Send and email and INCLUDE the Toledo (or other known scam) links in the email to: abuse@craigslist.org

Or, you can use this online form to report it here. https://www.craigslist.org/contact?step=form&reqType=abuse_scam
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)

Last edited by tdw28210; 02-28-2015 at 09:27 AM..
Old 02-28-2015, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #345 (permalink)

He has these all over Michigan CL and other sites too.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #346 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
So what ARE the law enforcement people telling you??? Are they working on it? FBI, state, local? It would good to know if it is just up to the rest of us to try to stop these scum bags, or if our tax dollars are actually being properly utilized...I hope SOMEONE on the "official" side is actually helping.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #347 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle O View Post
So what ARE the law enforcement people telling you??? Are they working on it? FBI, state, local? It would good to know if it is just up to the rest of us to try to stop these scum bags, or if our tax dollars are actually being properly utilized...I hope SOMEONE on the "official" side is actually helping.
Yes.. mind boggling that someone can steal 30k from you and the authorities have next to no interest in tracking them down
Old 03-01-2015, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #348 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Hoping they at least are scooping up the stateside proxy if this is the European ring all over again... With names like what we've seen, it very well could be another organization mimicking the Europeans.
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 03-01-2015, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #349 (permalink)

oh please..... Authorities literally could not care less.
1963 356B T6 Coupe / 1962 356B T6 Cabriolet
Current projects - 1955 356 pre-a Speedster / 1964 356C
Old 03-01-2015, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #350 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jittsl View Post
Don't let up on them. It's bad enough you got scammed but you don't need to let your tax dollars go to waste too.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #351 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
I would go to my local field office in person with all materials in hand.

http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field/pinpoints/san-antonio-tx

and demand a case file be opened.
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 03-01-2015, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #352 (permalink)
Registered

In addition to the FBI I would go to Homeland Seciurity and dont forget the local news media..after all the money these scumbags are stealing could be finding terrorism/Isis..
Old 03-01-2015, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #353 (permalink)

Sorry to hear your heartache of a fellow Seminole County pulling a Nigerian craigslist scam on a Texan. I live about 10 miles from Sanford better know for the Trayvon Martin shooting. I used to travel past that car sales lot weekly for the past 20yrs. It was mostly a buy here pay here lot in a rundown area. It has a small sales office with no inside storage for high end cars. If these cars were left out side they all would be gone the next day by the local vultures. They have been known in that area to cut the catalytic mufflers off of trucks and SUV on car lots in the area. I would not leave my 1987 911 parked any where in the area unless I was close by with a loaded shotgun !!!

I take it you didn't do a PPI on it. I'm a 10yr member of the Citrus Region Porsche Club and a 40yr Porsche Car owner in this area and I know most of the places local to get a PPI done. The closest Aircooled Porsche shop is over 20miles south in Orlando. I have check out a few older Porsche's for sale for people here just a fast quick check for them before them spending $$$ for a PPI. I always love it when the owner says "RUST FREE" usually means a new cheap paint job over bondo, so much a magnet won't stick in most places.

I check the local Craigslist almost daily for Porsche's for sale and never saw this one for sale. As I would have rushed over to see it as I own a 1969 912 Soft Window myself. The photos you shared are of a 1968 easy to spot as it still has the side lights a one year only DOT requirement.

1967 911's and 912's were soft windows.
1968 911's and 912's were half soft and half hard windows
1969 911's and 912's were 90% hard windows and 10% soft.
Porsche made about less than 1000 of each model as I can remember without looking up.

I'm almost positive that 1968 white 912 soft window was not in Sanford when it was listed for sale.

People when you see something on Craigslist too good of deal or lots of cash do your homework !!
I sell a few items on Craig's list and always meet the buyer at a busy place. I just sold a pick-up though craigslist and meet the buyer at a Racetrack Gas Station . We even went in side to complete the money transfer. Even some Police depts. are asking people to come to the Police Station to have a officer present for your safety.

Let me know if you want any current photos of the place in Sanford. Also you might want to contact a Orlando TV station to see if they might run a story on your Craigslist problems.

Sorry again, Bill
1969 912 SWT #0053
Old 03-02-2015, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #354 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jittsl View Post
You are right. Don't think that the FBI, IRS, CIA, Homeland Security or AARP will put any investigative efforts in the loss. They really, really don't care and cannot help you. Your money has been in Nigeria for some time now.

Unless you sue BOA and prevail in court (unlikely) and the American banking system now has a financial fiduciary liability to claw the money back to the fraud victim, nothing will ever happen legally. until the banks start paying for the frauds..then the above alphabet agencies will be climbing all over the criminals to solve the problem.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #355 (permalink)

What he said! We are all on our own here and, I suspect that, unless we all act to protect ourselves and those around us this will just keep on happening and the problem will keep growing. Has made me ponder what the future holds for internet transactions. Quite obviously something has to change.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #356 (permalink)

Garage
It is really not an internet problem..it is a craigslist problem. CL is free or low cost..it is an advertisement, not a market-place. There are no authoritative moderators looking. CL is a free for all with no recourse. That is why CR puts warnings all over their website about "deal local" to avoid scams. Any Porsche that is a real good deal is a scam on CL.

Be careful about vehicles offered on Craigslist, AutoTrader, or other online sites that claim to be eBay transactions. They're not.

eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection (VPP) covers only certain vehicle transactions that are completed ON eBay.com. If a Craigslist seller "promises" you eBay protection programs, walk away. It is fraudulent. Only cars bought and sold on eBayMotors.com can legitimately offer up to $50,000 in vehicle protection.

With Ebay being a market-place you have some recourse with the VPP. A scam will get shut down fast as Ebay ends up paying.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #357 (permalink)
Checked out

It's not an internet problem, or a craigslist problem.

Wiring money to a far away state, to a person you've never met, for a car you've never seen, is and always has been risky.

When basic due diligence isn't done (such as googling the names of the company and people that you are considering sending large amounts of money to), it becomes extremely risky behavior.

As always, there's still ways to do long distance transactions, but you have to be very, very careful and exercise a good deal of due diligence and common sense. There are certain minimum things that must be done.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #358 (permalink)

Sometimes however even basic due diligence doesn't go far enough. In my case I did google the company, the person and even the VIN number and came up with nothing. I took nothing to mean that no one was complaining - I'm still not sure why the Ferrari chat reference didn't come up but apart from them (and us now) there was no one was talking. I guess that's what happens when you're dealing in fiction.

From now on, if the seller won't accept waiting till I get there with my trailer and a check then I ain't buying.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #359 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_cooper View Post
.... Any Porsche that is a real good deal is a scam on CL.....
The other side of the problem is that's not really true. Because of all the scamming most people, me, too, think it is. In early 2014 there was a 97 993 Turbo on LA CL, $57K, need to sell right now, I know I'm low, etc., and I decided it couldn't possibly be real.

It was, I know who bought it Seller got offered $55k by a dealer, needed money now, asked a little more.

Last edited by 88cs; 03-03-2015 at 11:16 AM..
Old 03-03-2015, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #360 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: