Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
LED Brake Lights

Thanks, ordered and should arrive on Wed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-01-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Old 10-01-2017, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #661 (permalink)

New projects are LED boards for the TR6 and Spitfire.

Interestingly when I made the first boards and shared online, received many comments on why I used the bulb bases with handles. Turns out the bulb sockets on the TR6 and Spitfire suck and I'm being gentle. These boards come with spade connectors for power and ring terminals for ground.

Also Triumph uses black wires for ground whereas Porsche uses brown wires for ground.

Beautifully restored TR6 belongs to a colleague's brother. LEDs on rear for brake, turnsignal, and reverse.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #662 (permalink)

Garage
Are there any LED replacement bulbs for fog lights? I know the fog lights are pretty useless, but since I have Spoke’s other LED’s and J Audette’s headlights I would like similar lighting for the fogs.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #663 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerkes View Post
Are there any LED replacement bulbs for fog lights? I know the fog lights are pretty useless, but since I have Spoke’s other LED’s and J Audette’s headlights I would like similar lighting for the fogs.
looks like our fog lights use h3 bulbs -- plenty of h3 led fog light bulbs options showed up on google --
Old 10-05-2017, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #664 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
LED Brake Lights

Turn/DLR LED sexiness thanks to Spoke.

Thanks for the Fog LED tip.

Cheers

1978 911SC Targa
Old 10-05-2017, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #665 (permalink)

Ooo.. The front turn signals are available with black circuit boards now?!

BTW I love having LED bulbs. Accidently left my parking lights on for 2 hours this weekend and the car still started up. Pretty sure incandescent would have killed the much smaller than stock battery.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #666 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
LED Brake Lights

That's good to know.... didn't even think about that little nugget.

It's killing me not having the car ready for power. I want to turn these bad boys on so I can bask in their magnificence.

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-06-2017 at 07:15 AM..
Old 10-06-2017, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #667 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggert View Post
BTW I love having LED bulbs. Accidently left my parking lights on for 2 hours this weekend and the car still started up. Pretty sure incandescent would have killed the much smaller than stock battery.
I'm sure that if you have a small battery, it would help. Back in the day, I left my dad's Westfalia lights on by accident all night. That thing had the same battery as what was stock in my 911 and with just the running lights on (headlights shut off with ignition like the 911s) it still started up.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #668 (permalink)

I got them installed yesterday and swapped out the side marker too.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #669 (permalink)

Nice car. Love the wheels.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #670 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg911 View Post
I got them installed yesterday and swapped out the side marker too.

Danny, Can you clarify this as I see the photo---BEFORE: you had both white and amber lens and AFTER: you switched to both clear lens with amber led lights after installation-correct?or am I missing something. Thanks
Gordon
1967 MGB GT
1968 Series 1 Jaguar E Type-FHC (Sold) /1969 911E (Sold)
Old 11-26-2017, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #671 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69porsche View Post
Danny, Can you clarify this as I see the photo---BEFORE: you had both white and amber lens and AFTER: you switched to both clear lens with amber led lights after installation-correct?or am I missing something. Thanks

Gordon

It looks like a bright amber LED bulb in a clear lens. Looks like it makes the clear lens to be amber. The OP will clarify.

Cheers

1978 911SC Targa
Old 11-26-2017, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #672 (permalink)

We're having a Christmas sale on till the end of the year. Everything is 10% off.

My latest project is for a Porsche 356 driving lights as shown below. This is Marchal fog light. I'm working with a guy from Europe to transform it into a driving light.

For me, this is more of science project as I haven't done any high power LED projects. All my boards have been for marker lights. I am attempting to make this using Cree XP-G3 high power surface mount LEDs.

The first attempt will use 18 LEDs, each with their own lens (Carclo 10412) running between 200ma and 350ma.

To drive this much current I'll use a step-down dc-dc converter which will be located on a 2nd board. The LED board will be backed by a large heat sink as power dissipation will be an issue. My estimation is this unit will burn 15-20W.

Here's all the parts including the first cut at the board mocked up in plastic. The original reflector will not be used.

The board will clip onto the glass and ring. You can see the 18 LEDs + lenses. The board color will likely be white.

This is what the board will look like with the heat sink attached. I hope to be sending this to the fab house by the end of the week.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #673 (permalink)

Garage
Spoke,

That looks fantastic! Could this possible roll into another "experimental" tinker into the fog/driving rectangular lower valance lights for the 911?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Old 11-27-2017, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #674 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstrider View Post
Spoke,

That looks fantastic! Could this possible roll into another "experimental" tinker into the fog/driving rectangular lower valance lights for the 911?

Cheers
It is a possibility. I've considered making the fog/driving lights on my 930. Not a big fan of the surface mount LEDs because they're hard to handle, are expensive ($1-$2 each), and require a lens for each one. again $1-$2 each.

So for these driving lights I'm doing for the 356 with 18 LEDs per side, I've got 18 x 2 x $2 x $2 = $144 invested per pair just in the LEDs and lenses.

To mount the surface mount LEDs on a board by hand requires using a microscope, tweezer, and a heat gun. I tin all the mounting pads, heat the footprint of one LED, wait for the solder to liquefy, then position the LED with tweezers.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #675 (permalink)

69porsche, bugstrider,

Apologies for the delay I have been swamped with work.

Original was stock,(orange lenses for both, not shown) I then purchased the Turnsignal/DRL from Spoke. I also purchased clear turn signal and side marker lenses. Installed the Spoke LED in front, Gently removed the diffusers from the stock side markers and put them with the new clear side markers and picked up inexpensive orange/amber led bulbs online to finish it up. The pictures are with the new lights and lenses. one with the lights on and one with them off.

Last edited by dannyg911; 11-29-2017 at 04:00 PM..
Old 11-29-2017, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #676 (permalink)

Any chance of LED's for Cibie hood mounted lights? Or would that be cost and time prohibitive?
Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #677 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggert View Post
Any chance of LED's for Cibie hood mounted lights? Or would that be cost and time prohibitive?
I'm working on the 356 driving lights now. All new territory for me so the science project continues. I'll see how this project goes then maybe consider others.

For the 356 driving lights, I'm targeting Cree's XP-G3 LEDs as shown a couple of posts ago. That mock-up was based on Carclo's 10412 10mm lens.

There's a better lens by Carclo which gives a much tighter vertical dispersion (don't want to blind oncoming drivers) and a wide horizontal dispersion. Here's the light pattern for the XP-G3 through a 10049 lens. The lens is part of their 26.5mm lens family.

Being that the 10049 lenses are 26.5mm, the eighteen LEDs I had with the 10412 lenses don't quite fit now. Just a bit of overlap on each lens.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #678 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

This is kind of interesting...

Each of the LEDs has their own lens? So you just build your board with diodes mounted and lenses for each of them and then a clear lens over the whole thing? That's really cool.

If those fog lenses are 26mm, it looks like you'll need to reduce the number of LEDs because those lenses won't overlap each other I presume. I don't know how much of an issue that would be. Those modern SMD or other high power LEDs put out a lot of light. Fogs I also think don't require as much light, anyway. Hell, I only have 35 watt halogens installed right now...

The smaller lenses are more for a driving light, no? That leaves room for additional LEDs to create a real flame thrower driving light!

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #679 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
This is kind of interesting...

Each of the LEDs has their own lens? So you just build your board with diodes mounted and lenses for each of them and then a clear lens over the whole thing? That's really cool.

If those fog lenses are 26mm, it looks like you'll need to reduce the number of LEDs because those lenses won't overlap each other I presume. I don't know how much of an issue that would be. Those modern SMD or other high power LEDs put out a lot of light. Fogs I also think don't require as much light, anyway. Hell, I only have 35 watt halogens installed right now...

The smaller lenses are more for a driving light, no? That leaves room for additional LEDs to create a real flame thrower driving light!
Surface mount LEDs do not focus light. They need a lens to do that. Each LED has a lens to focus their light.

The ones I'm looking at are a bit larger than 30mm and 13mm tall. The lenses cannot overlap so I'll have to reduce the number of LEDs.

The smaller 10mm lenses are more compact but the light dispersion is more suited to flood lighting than headlight beam.

Here's the 10mm lens with XP-G3 LEDs: Look how disperse the light is. This likely would blind oncoming drivers unless the lights are angled down.

Here's the 26.5mm Carclo 10049 lens. This is more of a beam as would be desired with a headlight.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #680 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: