Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Formerly known as Syzygy

I would be nice to also be able to get a smaller lens that would focus the light and allow for more LEDs to be used, for a driving/distance light. Blinding oncoming drivers in that case shouldn't be an issue as (hopefully) the driver would turn them off or dim them.

For use as a fog light, I wouldn't imagine having a lesser amount of light would be a major issue, and rather the low, wide dispersion would be the aim (pun intended). And technically, fogs should also be turned off for oncoming traffic unless they're the only lights lit up on the front of the car.

Stick with it. I'm very happy with your LED tail/brake and turn signal boards. Hoping these will be as good as those.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #681 (permalink)

The 26.5mm lenses won't work out well since the lenses are too big and too tall to allow all LEDs to be placed.

Now looking to use the 20mm family of lenses from Carclo. This one will use the 10192 lens. The pattern is similar but not as tight in the vertical direction but is the best compromise between size and vertical light dispersion.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #682 (permalink)

Moving forward with the Carclo 10192 LED lenses and 10734 lens holders. The lenses are 20mm across and take up a lot of room.

Because the edge of the inside of the clear glass lens has minimal clearance, the LED/lens/holders need to be moved a far towards the center as possible.

Here's a 3d printed mock-up of the board with the holders. The holders are about 11mm tall whereas the clearance inside the glass lens at the edges is about 9mm. The holders will need to be filed down.

The holders will all need to be trimmed to fit in such a close proximity to each other.

This pic shows the interference of the holders and the glass lens. I'll have to file off some of the holders around the edges.

The holders are visible in this pic. There will be an outside ring of 12 LEDs and an inside ring of 6 LEDs.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #683 (permalink)

I've sent the LED board to the fab house today. Hope to have the board back by the end of next week. I'm working on the dc-dc converter board now. I will be using the LT3755 step-up converter as it has >92% efficiency in the input voltage range of the vehicle (10-16V)

The LED board front and rear pics are attached. The board now has 19 LEDs. I estimate the output of the headlamp to be between 2500-3500 Lumens including the efficiency of the lenses at 83%.

I've found another issue with the original glass lens. The issue is the back side of the glass lens is not flat. This is the surface which the PCB will sit on when assembled. This surface must be flat else the board will flex and may cause reliability issues.

I need to figure out how to flatten the rear surface of the lens. Any ideas on how to do this? I am thinking that using something like a belt sander to try to flatten the rear surface.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #684 (permalink)

Started working on the front sidemarker board for the 911 ('69-'89). These will look like the front turnsignal boards except it will have 48 amber LEDs and will only have a dim setting like the front turnsignal board when on running lights. Thus they will have the same brightness as the front turnsignals.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #685 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Howdy Jerry...I'm looking forward to seeing your new front sidemarker LED's - Will they have a reflector?

Thanks!

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-13-2017, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #686 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A horse with no name View Post
Howdy Jerry...I'm looking forward to seeing your new front sidemarker LED's - Will they have a reflector?

Thanks!
They will need a refractor to go between the LEDs and the outside lens. The outside lens is clear amber plastic and anything on the inside is clearly obvious with the naked eye. A refractor will also be necessary to disperse the LED light as well. I'm thinking of something like what is used in some fluorescent lights. Ideally it will look just like the turnsignal lens.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #687 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Sweet!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912
Old 12-15-2017, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #688 (permalink)

Looking forward to checking them out. They look great in design.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #689 (permalink)

For the front sidemarker boards, a diffuser would be necessary since the lens is clear amber. Something like this would be needed:

2' X 4' Opal Acrylic Prismatic

It will need to be cut to fit in the lens.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #690 (permalink)

Started working on a 911 rear turnsignal with a round LED pattern like the round brake lights. This one will have 2 rows of LEDs not in the circle pointed towards the outside of the car like the standard rear turnsignal boards to provide light out at a 45 degree angle.

The LEDs in the circle will be pointing straight back behind the car and even though they are in an elliptical pattern, they will appear to be round from the rear of the car.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #691 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
As usual, amazing work your doing on making our vehicles more visible to the rear and safe while keeping our aging electrical systems in good health.

Bravo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912
Old 12-18-2017, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #692 (permalink)

Received the driving light boards today. These boards have white solder mask so looks a lot different from the normally black boards I've been using.

The board is designed such that all the board traces are on the top of the board. This leaves the entire back of the board for a ground plane. The bottom of the board has very little solder mask so the heat sink will be as efficient as possible.

The LED lens holders will need to be filed down on the sides where they interfere with adjacent holders. I had to do this so the lenses and holders will fit inside the clear glass lens of the fixture.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #693 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Jerry, I haven’t read all of this thread lately but am wondering if you have a set of boards for the ‘84 rectangular driving/fog lights? I’ve got all the other lights(except headlights) upgraded with your boards and they are fantastic. My fog lights are rotted out crap that can be salvaged structurally but electrically are toast. I’ve already bought new lenses from our host to move forward with this project.

Mark
Old 12-26-2017, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #694 (permalink)

Just sent this 911 rear turnsignal design to the board fab house. Should have the board in hand in a week or 2.

Like the other 911 rear turnsignal board design, there are 16 LEDs that will point out at 45 degrees from the rear of the car. The balance of the LEDs pointing rearward will appear to be a circle like the RS-style lights.

Here's how the board will look from the rear of the car. The oval positioning of the LEDs will appear to be round.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #695 (permalink)

Finally getting time to assemble the Marchal 356 running light.

Mounting the LEDs is not fun. First use a flux pen to coat the PCB pads then tin the pads. Using a heat gun, heat the area until the solder melts. Holding an LED with tweezers, place LED and wait for the solder to adhere to the LED. Remove heat; wait for solder to cool; remove tweezers. One LED placed...

The lens holders need to be filed down to fit so I'm using a sanding wheel to do that. Don't need to take off too much material.

Tested the PCB with 3 LEDs, then 6 LEDs. Everything looks good so far.

Running 0.3A in each LED or about 1W (VON ~ 3V).

The light pattern looks just the way the manufacturer calculated.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #696 (permalink)
‘84 911 3.2 Coupe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke View Post
Just sent this 911 rear turnsignal design to the board fab house. Should have the board in hand in a week or 2.

Like the other 911 rear turnsignal board design, there are 16 LEDs that will point out at 45 degrees from the rear of the car. The balance of the LEDs pointing rearward will appear to be a circle like the RS-style lights.
Will these rear boards (when ordered in red) have the ability to run tail lights if paired with the side markers, like the others can do?

"Honestly now, did you spend your youth dreaming of someday owning a Nissan or Mitsubishi?" - Porsche ad from early '90s
Old 01-03-2018, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #697 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne2 View Post
Will these rear boards (when ordered in red) have the ability to run tail lights if paired with the side markers, like the others can do?
Yes, it will have the same functionality as running light/turnsignal. All I did with this board is rearrange the LEDs.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #698 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

All LEDs are mounted on the first driving light board. As expected every lens holder had to be shaved down a bit where it interfered with the other lens holders.

Powered it up and made a few light intensity measurements that I'm not sure I believe at the moment.

At 1 meter, I measured my road car's low beam light and got about 3000 lux. At 1 meter with the LED light with 0.4A, I measured about 12000 lux. At 0.15A the measurement was 4000 lux. I just don't believe the LED light is that much brighter. Will continue to do measurements.

At this point, the LED light is not mobile to do more testing. The lenses are not glued in nor is the heat sink attached. Once the heat sink is attached, I can get some temperature data to make sure the light doesn't get too hot.

Also about comparing the headlight with the LED light, the headlight is more of a beam than the LED light. Until I get this thing mobile I won't be able to evaluate side-by-side light patterns.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #699 (permalink)

Sent the 911 front sidemarker board to the fab. Should have boards in hand in a week or 2.

The board has 48 LEDs and the current/brightness will be identical to the front turnsignal LEDs when on running light.

Still working on the lens or diffuser. I picked up a sheet of diffuser (probably for a fluorescent fixture) to see how it looks. More to come on this one...

Old 01-22-2018, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #700 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: