Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Again cling and a layer of bubble wrap.

Rolled the Burrito.

Stuffing the ends.

I added more layers of cardboard to the outside and closed up the cocoon.

Packing it into the Dish Barrel Box.

The finished product ready for UPS. Each weighed around 50lbs and cost a total of $88.76 to ship both to Arizona from the Bay Area.

It all arrived at Ollie's intact!

Cheers.

-Kav.

Last edited by kav; 11-14-2017 at 08:45 PM..
Old 03-13-2016, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
Top end machining

The machining is done for the top end parts. Ted Robinson at German Precision down in Santa Clara CA did a wonderful job refurbishing them. I do enjoy going down there and chatting with Ted and seeing his fantastic machine shop. He had an unbelievable amount of parts in various stages of reconditioning. He was working on not only Porsche but many other makes including Mercedes and Ferrari pieces. The only part of mine that needed a little more machining was the flywheel, so Lily and I got to watch Ted at work while he pressed in a new pilot bearing and took the edge off the starter gear.

The flywheel was resurfaced. The cam housings were cleaned and deburred for the rocker shafts. The cylinders honed, unfortunately number 1 cylinder had a scar in the bore that Ted couldn't hone out so I found a replacement at Easy's in the east bay and I will hone it myself. The pistons have some heavy pitting on the tops but I'm not sure how concerned to be as they will get coated in carbon anyway? The rocker shafts were polished and the rockers received new brass inserts and the faces polished. I had my damaged cams repaired and ground to E specs for a little more pep.

The heads are beautiful! Ted said that the value seat / stem wear was the worst he's ever seen, he was amazed the engine even ran! There was also a bent valve which he replaced. So my the source of the blue smoke was the heads and not the piston rings.

I also took a huge bite out of the budget and bought a new set of SSI heat exchangers and the M&K R muffler! The headers are a work of art and were an investment in the car. The muffler is a guilty pleasure, I know it's loud but if I'm not going to go terribly fast I may as well sound good doing it and it does sound great!

Things are coming together and I'm collecting parts for the engine rebuild. There are a few items that need attention under the rear of the car so I will remove the rear suspension / trailing arms and replace all of the bushings etc.

Ted hard at work.

Profiling a valve.

Lily and I got Ted a Star Wars T-shirt to say thank you!

All of the parts back from Ted's

Cam's ground to E-cam specs

The head's look beautiful!

Rockers and shafts

Flywheel with new pilot bearing

The SSI headers and M&K muffler

Cheers!

-Kav.

Last edited by kav; 11-14-2017 at 08:50 PM..
Old 04-07-2016, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Rear suspension removal.

With the engine out and apart it's time to clean up the underside ready for it's return. Not only is the drivetrain showing signs of it's mileage but the suspension components are too. Time for the 'while I'm in there scenario' to kick in.

I removed the oil tank, just unbelievable amount of gunk!

I pushed the car outside an popped it up and jack stands and went to town with the power washer and some Simple Green.

Back inside the garage and again up on jack stands. Time to remove the rear brake disk and caliper.

You can see that the rubber bushing is completely worn and the torsion bar tube cover is resting on the retaining plate!

The heater controls hardly worked in the car, you can see why.

The undercoat is brittle and peeling in places. More work!

Quite the mess. The shock comes out.

Brake rotor, caliper and dust shield removed. The hub would not come off with the crow bars and I don't have room or own a slide hammer so I'll press it out once the trailing arm is off the car.

The E brake mechanism comes out.

Last edited by kav; 11-14-2017 at 08:55 PM..
Old 04-17-2016, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Measuring the angle of the spring plate before I remove it so I know how to put it back!

With all the bolts removed I'm ready to pry off the spring plate from the torsion bar.

Torsion bar next.

Trailing arms and heater boxes removed.

Brake and fuel lines and I'm done for now.

Cheers!

-Kav.

Last edited by kav; 11-14-2017 at 08:59 PM..
Old 04-17-2016, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
I am not sure how I miss some of these fantastic threads when I am on here almost every day!

Nice work and documentation.
And a bunch of parts I haven't installed yet.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Super-interesting and very well done as always! Must be a lot of work to set up the lighting and camera to record this, not to mention the editing afterwards.

Last edited by 911T70; 04-18-2016 at 07:32 AM..
Old 04-18-2016, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Once again, Excellent writeup and video! very usefull indeed

David

"If you have everything under control,
you are going to slow..."
Old 04-18-2016, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

excellent! sub'd
Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Where did all the pics go?
Old 04-25-2016, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Hello Stuttgart!

A few colleagues and I were invited to give a talk on our work for 'Star Wars The Force Awakens' at a computer graphics conference called FMX. Now fortunately for me FMX happens to be held in ... wait for it... Stuttgart Germany!!! I accepted of course, it would be rude not to so I spent last week in the home of Porsche and yes it was awesome!

We took the S6 train from Stuttgart station and in less than 10mins we were on hallowed ground!

The sun shines down on our three hero's.

Dancing on the ceiling

Type 64

Carrera GT

SL coupe

The 904 is SO beautiful!

RS

Last edited by kav; 11-14-2017 at 09:03 PM..
Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
RS

Winners!

Revving a 911

The cutaway 968

The workshop was possibly my favorite part of the museum, too bad you can't go in.

Removing decals, he added the numbers '68' to the hood and deck lid.

As we were leaving a technician parked this GTS right in front of us. Must be a sign to get back to work on the Canary!

I also took the train to the Mercedes museum and again it was inspirational.

The 300 SL's were stunning.

Cheers!

-Kav

Last edited by kav; 11-14-2017 at 09:08 PM..
Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing. I hope to take my 71 911T to Stuttgart in a couple of years.

Jörgen
Old 05-01-2016, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Rear hub and wheel bearing removal

With the trailing arms out of the car I can try and remove the wheel hubs and bearings. I tried to pull the hub off with a couple of crow bars but it wouldn't budge. I don't own a slide hammer so another solution must be found! I had already bought all the parts to make my own wheel bearing puller based off the great thread I had read earlier. I had some angle iron kicking around so I came up with a similar solution for the wheel hub as the bearing, it's quite laughable but it got the job done without having to buy more tools or waste time shopping for them.

A video of the process:

With a piece of angle iron bolted to the hub I place the 12" threaded rod through it to the other side. There is a nut and square washer behind it which I will tighten.

Another piece of angle iron with a couple of C clamps holding it to the trailing arm. A nut stops the rod going through this angle iron when I tighten the other nut behind the hub.

So much pressure is placed on the hub and it pops out.

Unfortunately I discover why it won't come off easily as it takes the race from the bearing with it.

Next the wheel bearing. I follow a thread about wheel bearing removal with this homemade tool consisting of the 12" rod with a 1/2" nut, square washer, 1" floor flange and a 3" electrical conduit coupler on this side.

A 1/2" nut, square washer, 1/2" floor flange and a 2" electrical conduit coupler on the back side.

When I tighten the nut on the front side it pulls the 2" coupler through the trailing arm taking the wheel bearing with it.

The tailing arm bushings have had it. I have some new Elephant Racing ones to replace them.

I have a huge amount of bead blasting to do and the harbor freight cabinet was just frustrating to use so I found a kit online to upgrade it.

Tacoma Company

It has a new gun, foot peddle, pressure regulator, baffle and siphon feeder for the media. I also got a new pair of gloves. The 'Dust Deputy' is a must also. With a few other modifications that came with the kit and a new piece of glass I've got a pretty good setup now.

http://www.oneida-air.com/category.asp?Id={CC6B6F2A-E3D7-4F18-A53C-B5C357DFE131}

Cheers!

-Kav.

Last edited by kav; 11-15-2017 at 07:46 AM..
Old 05-01-2016, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Parts Prep

I was looking at a huge amount of parts from spring plates, trailing arms and engine tin to a pile of hardware that all needed to be cleaned and blasted for powder coating, yellow zinc plating and painting. I wanted to clean everything myself to get a consistent finish and keep costs down but I under estimated the effort involved in cleaning and blasting every little nut and bolt. I discovered I did save some money on the powder coated pieces by blasting them myself but the plating is a different story. They clean every part before the plating process whether you did it or not so there is really no point, just hand over your parts and let them do the dirty work! It makes no difference to the final price I was told. What a total PITA!

I made a little video of the process.

The rubber bushings on the spring plates had seen better days!

The front had completely gone and the retaining plate was resting on the torsion bar cover!

I removed the bushings with some heat on the inner edge and the utility knife.

After my initial blasting I found I needed to remove more rubber from the weld. I used a wire wheel.

All done.

I modified the engine cooling fins as per Wayne's book.

Next batch for cleaning and blasting.

Came out well!

Trailing arms just fit in the blast cabinet. One down, one to go!

The sway bar is the next victim! I have all new bushings.

Last edited by kav; 11-15-2017 at 07:50 AM..
Old 07-22-2016, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Removing the Heater Boxes

Good amount of grime, no wonder they hardly worked!

Before and after blasting

The powder coating batch!

I used compartment trays to keep organized.

The Yellow Zinc plating batch.

I called the plating company and they told me I would save a lot of money if everything was together in one package so I took pictures of every compartment and dumped them into a bag!

Cheers!

-Kav.

Last edited by kav; 11-15-2017 at 07:53 AM..
Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

I really enjoy you videos thanks for taking the time to do them. Inspirational. Sub'd.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Always enjoy your posts Kav. I've subscribed since day one.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Kav,

Any updates?

Cheers,

Harry.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Hold caller....
Old 09-01-2016, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Underseal

The underneath of the car looked a total mess, there was loose and chipped underseal as well as some surface rust showing through. What else lurked behind the dirt? I had to find out, what was the condition of the metal?! So I got out the grinder with a bunch of wire wheels and went to town.

The old underseal was missing and brittle in parts. Some surface rust was coming through, it all had to go.

The hours seemed to fly by (I'm kidding) and before I knew it I had stripped most of the underseal from the rear of the car!

Most of it gone and no rust in sight! A very solid car thankfully as I don't have any welding skills!

I bought the six pack of POR15 and the metal prep from their website to treat to bare metal and protect it from any rust in the future.

The metal prep etches the metal and surface rust returns as the metal dries. Just the way POR15 likes it.

You brush on the POR15 and it self levels as it dries.

I applied two coats and it dries to a hard gloss surface. I'm worried the Stoneguard won't stick to it.

I mask the whole car up for the next step.

I'm going to use Self Etching Primer over the POR15 to give the Stoneguard something to stick to. I will paint some parts of the engine bay in Satin Black and mask over for the Stoneguard. I bought the Schutz gun for that factory finish and a pressure regulator to keep the gun at 60psi.

Last edited by kav; 11-15-2017 at 07:58 AM..
Old 09-01-2016, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: