Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
kav kav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 168
Garage
The Primer goes on. I quite like the olive green!





Next I spray the Satin black over the areas where I don't want Stoneguard. I'm guessing at some of the side wall areas and making aesthetic choices about other areas where I think satin black will look cool.



I mask for the Stoneguard.






I figure this is about to get very messy so I cover the whole garage with plastic to protect from the Stoneguard over spray.



I'm really happy with the end result, it looks great! I used the Schutz gun at full open nozzle to give the most texture which seems to match the finish that was there originally, the pressure regulator was at the recommended 60psi.



Side wall.



Remember what this used to look like!



I now have no excuses, I have to start putting this car back together again!




With all that done I'm not totally sold on the POR15. I'm sure it will do an amazing job protecting the metal but the gloss finish doesn't lend itself to the adhesion of the Stoneguard? I had to use etching primer as a base which I'm not thrilled about. Is there another product or process I could use?

Cheers!

-Kav

Last edited by kav; 11-15-2017 at 08:03 AM..
Old 09-01-2016, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Registered User
 
78-911SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 1,064
Kav can you give us some idea as to how far the stone guard goes? How much of the three cans did you use? Like maybe one can for the engine bay??? Was the etching primer required before shooting the stone guard? Does the black color in the new stone guard match the black color of the old stone guard or is it just a texture match? Where did you purchase the Schutz gun? Sorry for all the questions. Great videos which are a great help to those of us following your progress.
__________________
PJ

78 911sc Targa
70 911T
Old 09-02-2016, 01:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Registered User
 
D@vid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Haarlem Holland
Posts: 184
Garage
Very impressive work, i've been wanting to do the same and was looking for a "sneak preview" of the finished job. Thanks man.

D@vid
__________________
1973 2.4 MFI
bone-stock 911T

"If you have everything under control,
you are going to slow..."
Old 09-02-2016, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
kav kav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 168
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78-911SC View Post
Kav can you give us some idea as to how far the stone guard goes? How much of the three cans did you use? Like maybe one can for the engine bay??? Was the etching primer required before shooting the stone guard? Does the black color in the new stone guard match the black color of the old stone guard or is it just a texture match? Where did you purchase the Schutz gun? Sorry for all the questions. Great videos which are a great help to those of us following your progress.
I used all three 1L bottles of Stoneguard. I would say one bottle for the engine bay, another for the underside and another for the rear inner fenders. I actually had to buy another for some touch ups. I used etching primer over the POR15, not sure if you can shoot it over bare metal? Well my original underseal is worn and dirty so the SKS black looks great! I think the original underseal was beige and they sprayed black paint over it? Anyway the Wurth SKS is a good shade.

I bought the Stoneguard and Schutz gun from here:

Goodspeed Motoring - Car Detailing and Auto Restoration Products

Hope this helps,

-Kav.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 13
To bad that you use POR15 as I have heard from various places that it is not a good product for rust protection.

Or as someone somewhere, cant remember where, called it "snake oil".

I myself have not had any good experience with it so I find very unfortunate that you use it on your beautiful 911.

Last edited by 1967; 09-06-2016 at 04:28 PM..
Old 09-06-2016, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
kav kav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 168
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 View Post
To bad that you use POR15 as I have heard from various places that it is not a good product for rust protection.

Or as someone somewhere, cant remember where, called it "snake oil".

I myself have not had any good experience with it so I find very unfortunate that you use it on your beautiful 911.
Well that doesn't sound good! I did some research and people raved about it!? I think it comes down to the correct prep before applying but I'm not sold on it like I said in the post, do you have a suggestion for an alternative?

-Kav.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
78-911SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 1,064
1967 i would do a little more research before you start bad mouthing someones work. POR15 is not only favored on this site but the early 911 site. I'm sure there are other good alternatives. But even if it were true it's not your place to criticize someone else's hard work. You have only contributed 11 posts to this site so you don't hold much credibility in my eyes. Take that crap somewhere else.
__________________
PJ

78 911sc Targa
70 911T
Old 09-06-2016, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 621
Garage
I was going to also make a note about POR15: it's good at what it was designed for, which is truly rusty metal. I would likely not have used it for this (wonderful, very cool) project, based on what I see in your photos of an unusually great tub. Not saying that to be critical. One thing I see is guys mixing different product lines and not understanding the risk in that approach. When people ask "what primer?" or "what topcoat?", I think the responsible advice is to have them visit their local paint jobber and describe the project and buy products designed to work together, and to take that strategy right from thr beginning. That could be PPG, Glasurit or whatever, but to stick to one system and spend the money on the good stuff...and it ain't cheap. I offer that constructively to others looking at future projects. This car is the dog's gnads, and will be an object of great beauty when complete. John in CT.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 698
Kav, you're doing an inspiring job. Pay no mind to the haters.

Your way ahead of me in the resto game so I appreciate you illustrating your methods.
__________________
see Pumas 68 resto
Old 09-06-2016, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78-911SC View Post
1967 i would do a little more research before you start bad mouthing someones work. POR15 is not only favored on this site but the early 911 site. I'm sure there are other good alternatives. But even if it were true it's not your place to criticize someone else's hard work. You have only contributed 11 posts to this site so you don't hold much credibility in my eyes. Take that crap somewhere else.
Whoa I didn't see that bullet coming! All of you thinking I'm a hater calm down!

First I would like to compliment kav for doing a great job with his car and don't take my comment on POR15 as criticism on the work that he has done to his car. He hasn't done anything wrong concerning all the labour as far as I can see. On the contrary kav have done it the way it should be done on every task so far. Top notch quality. I was only critical of kav using POR15 because of my own experince and the things that I have read on various forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Well that doesn't sound good! I did some research and people raved about it!? I think it comes down to the correct prep before applying but I'm not sold on it like I said in the post, do you have a suggestion for an alternative?

-Kav.
I am not an expert on rust protection or a professional car restorer but according to what many car restorers use that I have seen is that most of them recommend and use themselves is zink primer and epoxy primer. And in that order for maximum rust protection. But as I said dont to take me for being an expert on this matter.
If there is any professional restorers out there and reading this they know this subject better then me and I hope they could chime and let us know how it should be done.

Last edited by 1967; 09-06-2016 at 06:56 PM..
Old 09-06-2016, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
kav kav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 168
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 View Post
Whoa I didn't see that coming! All of you thinking I'm a hater calm down!

First I would like to compliment kav for doing a great job with his car and don't take my comment on POR15 as criticism on the work that he has done to his car. He hasn't done anything wrong concerning all the labour as far as I can see. On the contrary kav have done it the way it should be done on every task so far. Top notch quality. I was only critical of kav using POR15 because of my own experince and the things that I have read on various forums.



I am not an expert on rust protection or a professional car restorer but according to what many car restorers use that I have seen is that most of them recommend and use themselves is zink primer and epoxy primer. And in that order for maximum rust protection. But as I said dont to take me for being an expert on this matter.
If there is any professional restorers out there and reading this they know this subject better then me and I hope they could chime and let us know how it should be done.
Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm hearing what you're saying 1967 & John. If I had a rusty tub por15 would be a way of preventing it from spreading (or a similar product) but seeing as my car is very clean I should use an epoxy primer or a primer that works with the top coat Wurth SKS Stoneguard?

Well too late for the back end of the car and I don't think I've done any harm but when I do the rest of the car (down the line) I will do a some research and find a more appropriate priming process before the Stoneguard.

More suggestions and feedback please! I'm here to learn and want to do the right thing for this '69.

Cheers.

-Kav.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm hearing what you're saying 1967 & John. If I had a rusty tub por15 would be a way of preventing it from spreading (or a similar product) but seeing as my car is very clean I should use an epoxy primer or a primer that works with the top coat Wurth SKS Stoneguard?

Well too late for the back end of the car and I don't think I've done any harm but when I do the rest of the car (down the line) I will do a some research and find a more appropriate priming process before the Stoneguard.

More suggestions and feedback please! I'm here to learn and want to do the right thing for this '69.

Cheers.

-Kav.
No you are probably right that you haven't done anything harm. Maybe I am overly critical when it comes to using POR15. I dont know, I was only referring to my experience and the things that I have read about it.

It was just seeing that the sheet metal on your car is so extremely clean and it hit me in the stomach when I saw that you used POR15 on it.

As far as I know about POR 15 is that it is marketed more towards owners with cars that is severly rusted as a so called rust stopping product, to stop them from rusting any further, and to my experience it isn't working as it is being marketed, or any other rust stopping product for that matter.

As far as I know no metal workshops over here in europe uses so called rust stopper products as protective primers, and I assume that is the case in america as well.

They only use (or at least i hope they do) really heavy duty zink and epoxy primers products. But maybe POR15 can work as a protective primer on clean sheet metal. If i'm mistaken on what kind of product POR15 is let me know. When it comes to which brand among primers that is the best that i have absolutely no clue, and especially when it comes to products in America.

I apologize once more if I sounded critical of your work. It wasn't my intention.

Last edited by 1967; 09-06-2016 at 09:44 PM..
Old 09-06-2016, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 69
Garage
Hi Kav,

Thanks for the update, you've been busy! Great stuff, keep up the good work.


Cheers,

Harry.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Elombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,074
Wow I had not opened this thread...

I dreamed of working in special effects too after Star Wars came out I think I was 11. I wish I would of pursued it, I instead became and Civil/Environmental Engineer. I cant believe you get to make Star Wars Movies and play with old 911s! And you have a great family!

Great job, you have inspired me to take on the engine compartment redo on my 84 911. I think I am going to shoot it body color after the prime and paint. Are you going to leave yours black?

Are you working on Rogue 1? Really excited to see Darth Vader again!
__________________
Erik L.
erik.lombard@gmail.com
84 lime green back date (LWB 911R with RS rear flares) hot rod - absolute riot to drive!
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
kav kav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 168
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elombard View Post
Wow I had not opened this thread...

I dreamed of working in special effects too after Star Wars came out I think I was 11. I wish I would of pursued it, I instead became and Civil/Environmental Engineer. I cant believe you get to make Star Wars Movies and play with old 911s! And you have a great family!

Great job, you have inspired me to take on the engine compartment redo on my 84 911. I think I am going to shoot it body color after the prime and paint. Are you going to leave yours black?

Are you working on Rogue 1? Really excited to see Darth Vader again!
Yes I'm going to leave it black as the engine compartment was black originally.

No I'm not working on Rogue 1, that show overlapped with TFA.

Cheers.

-Kav.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asker, Norway
Posts: 13
Sandblast upgrade kit

Hello Kav

Exellent work. Following Your thread from across the Atlantic

Now that you had some time in Your sandblaster: How happy are you With the Tacoma Upgrade kit for Your sandblast cabinet?

"I have a huge amount of bead blasting to do and the harbor freight cabinet was just frustrating to use so I found a kit online to upgrade it.

Tacoma Company"


Is this the deluxe type or regular? Is it Worth going Deluxe.

I got the same experience With my blaster, same China type.
Shooting sand only in pulses and clogs up all the time.

P.S I`m shure the POR15 will outlast the most of us, With the amount of rain and salty roads this car is going to see

Yours Sincerely Marius, Norway
Old 09-08-2016, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Registered User
 
78-911SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 1,064
Marius I got the Deluxe from Mike and Im very pleased. Being in Norway I'm not sure how realistic it is to call him but great to talk to. World of knowledge and he was into Porsche's and Airplanes. Some modifications recommended to the cabinet that you can see on youtube. Not cheap but I think worth it. Been involved in blasting most of his life. Looking forward to Kav's review.
__________________
PJ

78 911sc Targa
70 911T
Old 09-08-2016, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
kav kav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 168
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72sdriver View Post
Hello Kav

Exellent work. Following Your thread from across the Atlantic

Now that you had some time in Your sandblaster: How happy are you With the Tacoma Upgrade kit for Your sandblast cabinet?

"I have a huge amount of bead blasting to do and the harbor freight cabinet was just frustrating to use so I found a kit online to upgrade it.

Tacoma Company"


Is this the deluxe type or regular? Is it Worth going Deluxe.

I got the same experience With my blaster, same China type.
Shooting sand only in pulses and clogs up all the time.

P.S I`m shure the POR15 will outlast the most of us, With the amount of rain and salty roads this car is going to see

Yours Sincerely Marius, Norway
The blaster works much better with the kit from Tacoma company, night and day! I talked with Mike at length about which pieces I'd need in the kit. I got the upgraded nozzle, his 26" gloves (which are far superior to the originals) and the side baffle. He also advises adding 75watt halogen fixtures in each rear corner of the cabinet not only for light but to help dry the media from the heat (something I have yet to do). I get sheets of single pane glass cut to 1' x 2' from Lowes for the window (replace when they get fogged). I would add the 'dust deputy' to the vacuum system also.

I will say to anybody thinking about buying a media blaster, don't go cheap as you will get frustrated with the unit over time and then end up spending double what the unit cost to try and 'fix' it. Go with a more professional robust unit to begin with!

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-Kav.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,381
Garage
Kav,

I've been following this thread for some time. I wanted to say thanks. This is one of the few threads I can get my son to look at due to your Star Wars connection! He was rather impressed with the BAFTA photo.

Best of luck with the remainder of the project.
__________________
Matthew - drove Nurburgring with wipers on and no rain
1969 911E
2002 996 Cabrio
1995 993 Carrera 4 SOLD
2004 Land Rover Discovery II G4 Edition (Sold )
Old 09-09-2016, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asker, Norway
Posts: 13
Porsche Crest Sandblasting

Hello USA

Thanks for all good info

I`ve got the Dust Deputy, It Works good.

From what I have seen. You need to get a very expensive Cabinett to get a better pickup system and gun. Most of them run the same crappy system. Even for fairly large and expensive cabinetts. I`v got a friend With a large shop fixing lots of different cars. included Ferraris, Porsches, Lambo......... Even got got a Mercedes SLS in for a big repair after a crash.
He got several large Cabinetts With Pressure pots. This is a superior system.
And you can blow at a much lower pressure, so you dont crush the media, since the sand/media travels long and picks up speed underway.
But this is expensive. He builds his own, since he thinks finished Products is not good enough. This is a joy to work With.

Anyway. I sent Mike at Tacoma a email With a bunch of questions and he quickly replied.
He wanted me to Call him, because he had questions for me.
That to me is a quality stamp. He is after what the customer needs, rather than just push his Product out fast :-)

I will Call him Next week.

Good Luck With Your Project. Cant wait until you are starting to put the engine together :-)

Marius Knutsen
Norway
Old 09-11-2016, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:51 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.