Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Carrera Rear Speaker Grill Replace

In my less than year of Porsche ownership I have spent countless hours on these boards reading and I figured I would try to give back a bit. I went through many threads on replacing my back speakers with ones that could accomidate a factory looking grill, where to get that grill, etc, but nothing all in one place, so here is my attempt at creating a how-to with details.

When I got my car last year, the rear speakers were Infinity References, which sounded fine, but looked absolutely horrible as they were exposed and really threw off the whole look of the back. Looked cheap and unfinished:

I knew I needed a few things, and decided to go down the path of getting the custom grill frames from Pelican member MattKellett. He does a great job of creating a custom frame that is close to stock, but much more sturdy and won't crack. Here is the thread to get the frames: $75 http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/789182-rear-speaker-covers.html

Matt's frames do not include the grill mesh, so I went ahead and purchased these generic 4x6 frames to get the donor grill out of. $16 Two 4x6" Speaker Grills Screens Covers Black Classic Home Boat Car Replacements | eBay

I received both, and it was very easy to push the grill out of the generic frames, and then simply used superglue to bond them into the new frames. I got a little glue that seeped onto the black grill, but it wipes off pretty easily. They look great:

From here I tried to fit them over the existing Infinity speakers but quickly found out the housing of the speaker was going to be in the way. The screw holes lined up properly, but the frames would end up sitting on top of the speaker housing, causing the whole assembly to be sitting up 1/4-/1/2 inch above the rear deck. I pulled the speakers to see if I could modify the housing to allow the grill to slip over them, but there was too much structure holding the speakers together so I opted to go with new speakers with a removable frame. I wasn't too terribly interested in sound quality as I prefer the beautiful sounds my car makes on its own, but wanted something that would fit seamlessly. I opted for: Amazon.com : Pioneer TS-A4675R 4" X 6" 3-Way Speakers : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics

The speaker dropped in fine, and set in there a lot better than the Infinity's did, but the grill still wouldnt fit over the top without being raised up. I didn't want this look, so I modified the speaker itself by prying off the plastic rim around the edge with a screwdriver. It came off pretty easy and then I had something I could work with.

Before Rim Removal:

Prying off speaker rim:

At this point I had all the components I needed and everything installed beautifully:

The only real access issues are the very outside rear screws, which I could reach with a stubby screwdriver, but found much more success using a ratchet and small philips bit.

Overall Costs:
Matt's Frame: $75+shipping
Generic 4x6 for donor grill: $16.95
Pioneer Speakers: $40.01
Gorilla Glue: $8
Total: ~$150

I really think it cleaned up the look very well, still haven't decided if I want the "PORSCHE" facing towards the back of the car or the front, suggestions welcome. I hope this helps get everything in one place as this is a simple afternoon project once you have the parts, and can handle squatting awkwardly in the backseat for 30 minutes or so :-)

Extra: Dad just got a 911 also and this is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to be able to do with Dad, and we are loving every minute. After my first year I finally have addressed most of the cosmetic changes I want, so now we get to start on his :-)

Kevin
Old 03-25-2015, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
PCA & MCSCC Instructor

Garage
looks great
Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. I too need to do this. Looks great.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Looks great!

I have the PORSCHE lettering towards the window, so it reads the right way up from the inside of the car, but there really isn't a better way, as your lettering look correct from the outside looking in.

You might be able to raise the mesh up a little so that it's flush with the top of the covers, although I've never had the aftermarket mesh in my hands, so I'm not sure exactly how it fits.

The crappy original grills from Porsche really make these interiors look bad once they have cracked, which they all do.

Your interior is now looking really good, with this and the new mats, she's a stunner!
66 Jaguar MKII - Sherwood Green
09 VW GTI - Candy White
Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Occasional User

This seems pretty simple - you can easily access the stock speakers by removing the parcel shelf. I would not personally buy Porsche logo'd aftermarket products like the speaker cover shown. There are plenty of (better) aftermarket speakers
1972 911E Silver, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 03-25-2015, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKellett View Post
Looks great!

You might be able to raise the mesh up a little so that it's flush with the top of the covers, although I've never had the aftermarket mesh in my hands, so I'm not sure exactly how it fits.

Your interior is now looking really good, with this and the new mats, she's a stunner!
I thought about pushing the mesh up into the frame to get it flush with the top, but it fit really well inside the frame and I thought it looked nice so I just took the simple route and glued it in.

Thanks, I am glad spring is here!
Old 03-25-2015, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook&Dunning View Post
This seems pretty simple - you can easily access the stock speakers by removing the parcel shelf. I would not personally buy Porsche logo'd aftermarket products like the speaker cover shown. There are plenty of (better) aftermarket speakers
Don't see any reason to remove the parcel shelf, this can all be done easily with it in place.

I am glad to know you wouldn't buy aftermarket ones with Porsche logo'd on it, but if you want a quality part that won't crack and break like the old ones, I am not sure you will find anything as nice or well made as these frames. I searched a lot and couldn't find anything besides the generic covers which the screw holes don't line up too well. I couldn't be happier with these.

Of course there are better aftermarket speakers than the $40/pair that I used, but as my post indicated, the sound quality wasn't really my main goal here.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

May not be original, but I think the PORSCHE marking looks good. I just bought some speaker covers to replace my old cracked ones on ebay, it is supposed to be a direct fit. If anyone is interested, I think there is one set left, it is item #152318472995. Hope they work out as nice.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I just added Matt's replacements to my 930, fantastic fix. I was able to drop my factory grills in and it was a exact fit. Thanks Matt.

IMG_3970.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr

IMG_3971.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr

IMG_3976.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr

IMG_3982.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 02-15-2017, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I also had great results with Matt's speaker covers. The order experience with Matt was extremely smooth, as well. Highly recommend.
An additional note on the replacement Matt offers: The covers are maybe 1/8" thicker than original, allowing more space for my replacement speakers to live. Most new speakers seem not to be as flush mounting as OEM, adding to the cracking problems when screwing down the original covers. Longer screws may be in order for a totally secure install, but there was enough bite on most to made mine work. Very happy with results.
Thanks Matt!
Old 03-15-2017, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Does anyone have a link to Matt's speaker covers. The one above won't go through due to Pelican.
Thanks very much and nice job.
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 03-15-2017, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Are these covers still available?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

See my thread.
More Matt Kellett rear speaker frames
Good luck,
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 05-09-2017, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Anybody know who to get in touch with Matt Kellet to order a set? The link doesn't seem to work anymore,

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2017, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Try:
mlkellett@yahoo.com
Matt's a great guy.
Good luck,
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 06-12-2017, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hi,

i am giorgio s. ballotta from Tuscany Italy, i tried to contact Matt Kellet at his

email address on Yahoo but the system says he is unknown.

Can you help me i need to contact him for a pair of 911 carrera g 50 rear speaker

grill, urgently.

Sincerely

Giorgio s ballotta

email address: giorgio.salernoballotta@sgsbp.it
Old 02-19-2018, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: