Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oregon Coast Porsche Activity??

Guys,
I just returned from a first time trip to Oregon's central cost, Florence area, and fell in love with it for several different reasons. Also, for several different reasons, (a lot of them), i've grown irritatingly out of love with southern CA, actually with CA in general. I'll spare you the details about that if I could get some insight about Porsche activity in the Oregon central coast areas. I would love to hear about Pelicans in the area as it certainly looks to possess beautiful driving scenery and roads...when it's not raining, I know
I love to hear thoughts and advice if you have any about re-locating to this area while enjoying the Porsche 911 experience. Thanks in advance...

Pete
Old 04-19-2015, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Florence is great as well as Yachats another 40 min or so North. I've been out that quite a few times and have never seen an air cooled 911. Did see quite a few muscle cars and older hot rods though. I think there is more of that scene in the area.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
I saw 2 air cooled 911's today while I was driving west towards the Oregon coast out Hwy 22 from Salem today.
A coupe and a rag top. With my Targa on the road we had all the bases covered.
Beautiful day here today.

To the OP, the Northern 1/2 of the Oregon Coast shouldn't be missed either. The roads are awesome for twisties...

Last edited by timmy2; 04-19-2015 at 06:58 PM..
Old 04-19-2015, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Rescuer of old cars

Garage
There are Pelicans scattered all through Oregon, but not very connected outside the Portland area.

The central and south Oregon coast is part of the PCA Cascade Region, northern coast is in the Oregon Region (out of Portland). Cascade is large geographically, so has two chapters, south coast is part of the chapter based in Medford/Ashland, central coast is with the chapter centered in Eugene.

I've got nothing against the coast, but prefer living in the Willamette valley instead - from most parts of the valley you are about 60-90 minutes from the coast, and the same from the mountains. On great fun roads either direction.

1972 911T coupe
Priors - '84 911 Carrera coupe, '84 944, '73 914 2.0
Old 04-19-2015, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Born in Exeter CA, grew up in SOCAL - Anaheim, Pomona. Moved to Medford OR in 1945. Graduated from Oregon State College (now University), moved to Seattle in 1959 and have lived here ever since. Bought my first Porsche in 1968, a 356B, then traded it for a 356A which was in much better condition than the rust bucket B. Bought a low mile 911SC in 1981, destroyed in an accident in 2006, replaced with a beautiful 88 Targa which I currently drive at age 85.
The Oregon coast is a marvelous, beautiful place - from the CA border to the Mighty Columbia at Astoria. I personally like the North coast -Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach, Manzanita, Newport, etc.. Washington is a hotbed of Porsches. Many good wrenches here - Chris Powell, Akers Jr., John Walker and several in the Portland area. Gigantic new dealership just opened in Bellevue --Big money there from Microsoft, Amazon Starbucks etc

IMHO, leaving SOCAL is probably one of the best moves you could make The Puget Sound area is booming (as is Portland with Intel etc) And yes, it does rain (drizzle, actually). A little-known statistic is that it rains less in Seattle(~37 inches/yr) than many Eastern US cities, but then it can be overcast for weeks at a time. Like Oregon, the "Porsche roads" are limitless both on the coast , in the Cascade mountains, and in the dry eastside Columbia basin.
1978 SC Targa, GP White - Accident - Totaled 2006 (T-boned by a nut on drugs)
2003 VW V6 Passat Wagon
Old 04-19-2015, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you so much for your responses. That was a wealth of information, very useful insights. I have a return trip to Florence scheduled for September to check out the real estate options around that area. Have family/friends there so that's the initial target location.
Hopefully Oregon will be a little more classic car friendly than CA is, especially in the metropolitan areas where smog laws are ridiculous and insurance costs are unreasonable when compared to more rural spots even in the same state.
I'm optimistic about the outlook so far. It may not provide the "scene" like the one in So Cal...but then again, at this stage in my life, the point is really to get away from it all and enjoy!
Thanks again everyone
Old 04-20-2015, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Bay Area to Portland going on 10 years ago. Never looked back. Actually visit family and business at least 2x a year, and while I miss some people, and enjoy the sheer beauty of the SF bay, the congestion and chaos always make me happy to get back home to P'town. My wife is from Orange County and she's totally on board too. We're moving her mom up here next month.
As for Porsche activity, I'm a member of Oregon PCA, which is primarily based in Portland. They do numerous drives to and from the Coast, to Crater Lake and all through central Oregon. Very nice bunch of people. I'm also a member at Cascade Sports Car Club for various track, DE and rallye activities. Also an extremely nice bunch.
I too prefer the northern portion of the coast (Cannon Beach, Manzanita, Astoria, etc) as it's more of a straight shot from Portland. Takes about an hour and a half to get there. From Astoria you can cross the river into Washington and you're on the Olympic Peninsula which is stunning. Wind your way through those parts, jumpy a ferry and you're in Seattle.
If the weather is iffy heading west, we go the other direction up the Gorge (follow Columbia River east) and tool around Mt. Hood, or north into Washington state towards Mt. St. Helens. There are way too many outstanding backroads to even begin to list. Yeah, it rains. So what. Get good tires and learn how to drive your car... The food, coffee and beer are worth the move alone...Check out the Pacific Northwest regional forum on this site for more ideas and gatherings. Other benefits - no sales tax, and it's relatively easy to find non-ethanol gas, if your car is old like mine.
Cheers,
-C
Old 04-20-2015, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Rescuer of old cars

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Swede View Post
Hopefully Oregon will be a little more classic car friendly than CA is, especially in the metropolitan areas where smog laws are ridiculous...
Pete, currently Oregon only requires smog checks in the Portland metro area, and also in the Medford/Ashland region. The rest of the state (including Florence) is free of such things. And if I recall correctly (not being subject to testing myself), I think cars older than 25 years are exempt even in the testing areas.

1972 911T coupe
Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Swede - I totally understand and agree with your reasons for a move....The coastal drives in Oregon and Calif are the very best in the whole nation.

I will just make one observation after 40 years of more motorcycles trips than I can count down the Oregon coast:

Tourist traffic and truck traffic on the northern half of the coast will drive you crazy. You have unsurpassed beauty and great roads only to find yourself stuck behind motorhomes, logging trucks or bicycles for miles on end. My GPS once actually showed an "average speed" of 18 mph for over a half hour one day. There seems to be congested towns every 10 miles.

The southern half of the coast is more open road and pure heaven......Heading out to do this as I head to Calif later this week........Enjoy......
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles

Last edited by LakeCleElum; 04-20-2015 at 10:20 AM..
Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne2 View Post
Pete, currently Oregon only requires smog checks in the Portland metro area, and also in the Medford/Ashland region. The rest of the state (including Florence) is free of such things. And if I recall correctly (not being subject to testing myself), I think cars older than 25 years are exempt even in the testing areas.
Close, but not quite. In Portland Metro at least, the rule is pre 1974 is exempt. The rest of the state it's the 25 year rule. There is one other area with the pre-'74 rule but I can't remember which. Maybe around Eugene / Salem?

-C
Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Rescuer of old cars

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Freeborn View Post
Close, but not quite. In Portland Metro at least, the rule is pre 1974 is exempt. The rest of the state it's the 25 year rule. There is one other area with the pre-'74 rule but I can't remember which. Maybe around Eugene / Salem?

-C
Not Eugene, we have no smog checks at all. Must be the Jackson/Josephine county area down south, as that's the only other smog test region I'm aware of in Oregon.

1972 911T coupe
Old 04-20-2015, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
No smog in Salem.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks so very much again guys...this is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to get, what you can't get from a relator, or in my case...not even from friends who already live there (not car people). I did make my most recent 911 purchase a '72 so no worries with smog on it, but still have "family" cars too to consider.
I'm hoping for a fall time move, pending sale of about 90% of what I own, to start fresh. Wife loved it there too so she's in. We had seriously considered a overseas move, but home-basing it in Oregon and then spending maybe Nov-Feb in Puerto Rico (friends there too) is our new plan.
Thanks again...I can already see myself pulling into the parking lot at Devils's Elbow Lighthouse in the '72.

Last edited by SD Swede; 04-20-2015 at 01:46 PM..
Old 04-20-2015, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Blowing town Nov-Feb is an outstanding plan. Our rule of thumb for surviving the winter greys are plane tickets to Hawaii every year. We've got friends with a condo in Maui. A week or two is usually all it takes, but a month or more would be sweet.
Do a search in the Pacific Northwest Forum - I recall a thread a while back with lots of great driving routes.
-C
Old 04-20-2015, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Rescuer of old cars

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Swede View Post
Thanks again...I can already see myself pulling into the parking lot at Devils's Elbow Lighthouse in the '72.
This pull out is better for car pictures...

1972 911T coupe
Old 04-20-2015, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Oregon

You will love it!
6 months of the year.
come on out.

Retrotech: Classic and vintage Porsche cars, accessories and Porsche parts

Old 04-20-2015, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I moved up to Oregon in 1982 from Redondo Beach, CA. Never looked back. Bought a house on the beach and built a shop/business in Seal Rock (45 min north of Florence)
Next time your here stop by.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne2 View Post
This pull out is better for car pictures...

I was JUST there!!! Forgive me for not including my Ford Focus rental in the shot Unhappy crow almost blocked out the lighthouse!

"356RS" During the September trip I'm taking you up on that!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
356RS, have an address so we can find you?
Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Those roads out around Fossil and Painted Hills rock!
This one is nice too. Overlooking the Columbia River off of Hwy 84
Old 04-20-2015, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: