Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
heir 2 the original owner

Garage
Radio Wiring Diagram or Chart? - 1989 3.2L Targa

Hi, does anyone have a chart or diagram showing what exactly radio wires are what in my 1989 3.2L Targa?

My original "Porsche CD-2" unit is done. I am installing an aftermarket stereo/cd player and (unless y'all tell me different) apparently there is no wiring harness adapter for this car. Thus, I'm going to have to hardwire whatever radio I buy into the car.

I found this online: 1989 Porsche 911 Car Radio Wire Color Codes which says:

1989 Porsche 911 Car Radio Wire Color Codes
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Red
Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray/Blue
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: White
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 5 1/4″ Speakers
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 4″ x 6″ Speakers
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black

but I have no idea if this is correct. It is the Internets, after all.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Per Bentley (of which there is no guarantee this is correct, either):

Here is another image of the back connector:

Last edited by wrxnofx; 04-20-2015 at 01:26 PM..
Old 04-20-2015, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks wrxnofx.

Additional problems have arisen. (It is a Porsche, after all...)

I have removed the CD-2 original unit without apparent incident or damage to self or my Black Beauty. HOWEVER - I have now found to my dismay, a 6-pin white connector, a long pin connector which I believe to be the antenna, and an 8-pin DIN style connector for a "preamp" which I assume then feeds amplified sound to the speakers.

How in the world am I going to wire this to an aftermarket head unit? The sticker on the top of the CD-2 unit is of no guidance at least as to the speakers. It tells me what the white connector wires are, but that's it. Will I have to rewire this entire car?

Thanks,
Frank

Old 04-22-2015, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Frank,

If you have the 8 pin DIN then look under the passenger seat to see if you have an amplifier under there. Assuming the amp is under there, yes, the speakers should be plugged into it. I guess we'd need to see the back of the replacement unit to see what adapter you'd need for the preamp for the 8 Pin DIN. If the head unit has an RCA output pair for the preamp you should be able to get an RCA to DIN adapter.

Here is the wiring diagram, per Bentley, for the preamp setup:
Old 04-22-2015, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Something like Audio-Etcetera.com
Old 04-22-2015, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

So just checking.. Any options for plugs for this connector. I checked scoche and metra and nothing
Old 06-29-2017, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubpower View Post
So just checking.. Any options for plugs for this connector. I checked scoche and metra and nothing
Hey VDub,

I never found a wiring harness manufactured to mate this perfectly. I had to do it the hard way - solder & crimp flat plugs onto the end of the corresponding power, antenna, etc. wires from the aftermarket unit, to plug into the car's original wiring harness. I bought a 'variety pack' of connectors from Home Depot. I didn't pay this much for the kit but this gives you an idea: Gardner Bender 247-Piece Terminal and Connector Kit-TK-500 - The Home Depot

I taped off each wire with electrical tape after plugging into the car harness. Not necessarily pretty or tidy, and I'm sure a professional installer would have done a better job, but I put my aftermarket head unit in close to a year ago now and it's held up. My goal was not to disturb the car's original harness so that if ever needed again, I could disconnect everything easily.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

For the white power connector, this connector work. CSearch on cruthfield.com under a 1988 944. I believe the cd-2 was used across the 911, 944, 964.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701822/Metra-70-1822-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977
Old 06-30-2017, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

My previous post should have said "may work." Sorry for the typo.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I got some adapter plug/harnesses for the white power plug years ago from VW, I'll check and see if I still have any or at least if I can find a part number.
As for the DIN plug, you can get a harness from Porsche and possibly even Pelican

part # 911.642.209.01

Adapter cable for Blaupunkt sound system for Porsche Classic radio navigation system with TCM - Porsche Classic

and here's a diagram of the DIN plug

Old 06-30-2017, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Bergvill (ToreB) has some wiring harnesses I wish I had know about soonber!

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/car-audio.html
Old 07-01-2017, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Did anyone have to incorporate these plugs.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

BTW I wool be using a new pioneer head unit
Old 07-01-2017, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Did anyone have to incorporate these plugs.
Yes, I did. If your car has the Blaupunkt amplifier under passenger seat, then the four speaker wire connections are found there, not on the head unit. They connect from the amplifier up to a connection point under the dash in the middle, then spread out throughout the car to the 4 speakers. You may have to hunt briefly, but you will find the connection point with the four 2-prong connectors: red, yellow, brown, etc. See prior pics in this thread.

Those plugs you pictured fit into those 2-prong connectors, you just need to marry up the colors with the speakers: Left Front, Left Right, Rear Left, Rear Right.

Once I figured all this out I bypassed the amplifier and connected the Metra plugs you showed up with my head unit wires.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkevinc View Post
For the white power connector, this connector work. CSearch on cruthfield.com under a 1988 944. I believe the cd-2 was used across the 911, 944, 964.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701822/Metra-70-1822-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977
Interesting. I ordered my head unit from Crutchfield and they didn't include that harness with the unit, and when I went to the website it says "NOT recommended for your vehicle".

Sure looks like a good match, though! I may order it just to get rid of my jerry-rigging.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Yeah the link posted by jkevin looks like it should match up better right to the harness of the cd-2.

How many sets of the pig taill so I need. 2 sets four total plugs?

I have just front speakers with tweeter and rear 4*6
Old 07-02-2017, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Yeah the link posted by jkevin looks like it should match up better right to the harness of the cd-2.

How many sets of the pig taill so I need. 2 sets four total plugs?

I have just front speakers with tweeter and rear 4*6
Yes, 4 total plugs, one per speaker.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

cool. ill order the 70 1822 metra kit and see what happens

i assume u by passed the stock amp under the seat? todays head units supply more power from what i understand

1985 Mercedes Benz 500sel Nautical Blue

2012 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG Iridium Silver
Old 07-02-2017, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
cool. ill order the 70 1822 metra kit and see what happens

i assume u by passed the stock amp under the seat? todays head units supply more power from what i understand
Yes, I bypassed it - but some people still amplify their systems or put a subwoofer under the passenger seat. Sometimes I wish I had done that - head unit only sometimes sounds a little flat.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/car-audio/iso-harness-early-porsche-964.html

I just looked at this kit... It looks like the business too..

Dunno which to get between the two....crutchfield shipping is half the price of the product...crazy

Old 07-03-2017, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: