Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Carlito

Garage
Engine won't start (1978 SC)

I need your help guys. My P car kicks over once and then immediately dies. I just finished and oil and plug change in my car, which is a 1978 911 SC. It ran decent for a little bit. Previously, I had to take the distributor out and static timed it before putting it back in.

I put the strobe on it while it was running and it was about 25 degrees BTDC after I drove it around the block. It surged a little because the CIS is pretty well out of tune. I attempted to adjust the timing to get the 5 Deg BTDC and it wouldn't adjust that far. I left it idling for a few minutes while doing this. Because idle was fluctuating about 300 rpm, I sprayed some carb cleaner around for vacuum leaks but found none.

After I removed the distributor, I adjusted it so it was closer and when I'd get close to 5 DBTC it wouldn't run well and backfired through the exhaust so I shut it off. This to me means its too rich or timing is retarded. Here is a picture of a plug.
It seems pretty fouled to me...I'm going to pull plugs and clean them and put them back. They are WR8DC+ with is what my shop manual recommends, gapped at .028...Any other suggestions about what else I should check?

Last edited by Carlito; 05-16-2015 at 03:09 PM..
Old 05-16-2015, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
You did not put the distributor back in correctly.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Carlito

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
You did not put the distributor back in correctly.
Any tips on how to put it back in correctly? I followed the Bentley shop manual instructions.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Good photos on page 3 of this thread of how it should look at TDC when put back correctly.
Leading edge of rotor should be lined up with the mark on dizzy with positioning bolt in center of adjustment range.
Easy to be out one tooth on the drive gear.
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine when I was out a tooth.
Stalled after Dizzy Cleanup, Won't Start

Last edited by timmy2; 05-17-2015 at 08:12 AM..
Old 05-16-2015, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ignition distributor alignment.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Any tips on how to put it back in correctly? I followed the Bentley shop manual instructions.

Carlito,

Just did some work the other day and have some pictures for you. Take a look:

Set the scribed marker of the distributor for cylinder #1 between 12 and 1 o'clock orientation. Set the distributor rotor at 1 o'clock position and start getting it to mesh with the intermediate shaft gear. The rotor has a tendency to rotate a slight counterclockwise during alignment and would end up pointing to the marker. This procedure is done with the crankshaft at TDC for cylinder #1.

Tony
Old 05-16-2015, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Great photos Tony.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
New engine wire harness.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Great photos Tony.
Dennis,

That's the motor that will use the engine wire harness Jason P. purchased from you. I will be needing soon another wire harness exactly like it for the other motor.

Tony
Old 05-16-2015, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Carlito

Garage
Thanks guys. This is a big help. Love this site.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Carlito

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Good photos on page 3 of this thread of how it should look at TDC when put back correctly.
Leading edge of rotor should be lined up with the mark on dizzy with positioning bolt in center of adjustment range.
Easy to be out one tooth on the drive gear.
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine when I was out a tooth.
Which thread were you referencing? I think the link didn't go through.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Tony posted better pictures than I was referencing you to.
It was this one.
Stalled after Dizzy Cleanup, Won't Start
Old 05-17-2015, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Carlito

Garage
Thanks again guys.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

when you put the dist back in oyu have to start with the rotor miss-aligned. as it goes in the rotor will turn until it reaches its final position. you will just have to play with it to see which side of "correct" the rotor needs to point to to make it lign up.

line up Z1 TDC for number when doing this and the dist will be close. make sure #1 is on its firing stroke. if the engine kind of runs it should be close and you should not have to turn it too far, just do it BEFORE you remove the dist.

08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 05-18-2015, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
cis , cis baseline , engine , no start , spark plug fouling