Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wipers won't park

On my 1977 911 my wiper blades won't park. They work fine but when I turn them off they stop immediately thought out the cycle. So I have to wait until they are n the down cycle and turn them off to stay on the down position. Could this be the relay switch?

Thanks,

Sam
Old 06-05-2015, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have had the same issue with my '87. The first time I cleaned the contacts in the wiper relay, which on my car is behind the blower motor in the frunk. That worked for a time, but it began happening again. Based on several threads on Pelican, I found I can get the wipers to park if I gently play with the wiper stalk on the steering column. My quick and dirty solution, per one of the threads on here, has been to put a rubber band around the wiper and cruise control stalks. This maintains enough tension on the stalk and the wipers work as they should. Someday I'll spend the $$ and replace the wiper stalk.

1987 911 Coupe, Cassis Rot Metallic
Old 06-05-2015, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have the same problem with my '87. I tried replacing the relay, but it didn't help. I think the stalk is the problem. Here is a link to another thread with some great detail on how to get to the relay if you try that route.
wipers not parking no intermittent wipers
Old 06-05-2015, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
76 911S Targa

I have read that the variable intermittent wiper control affects the park function. If you don't have intermittent control, you won't have park. Does your intermittent wiper function properly?
Old 06-05-2015, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks sounds like I have to either replace and also clean the relay
Old 06-05-2015, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Mine did the same.....fixed it by pulling the wiper switch and testing it with an ohm meter.
One set of contacts was not making a good connection. Bent the offending contact and all has been fine since. Pull the switch out and work on it where you can see what's going on. Once you have it on the bench it's easy to test.

P.S. I checked the relay first and it was fine.......a lot of work to get to the relay. Pulling the switch is much easier.

Last edited by pete3799; 06-05-2015 at 03:02 PM..
Old 06-05-2015, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You can even fix the switch without removing it. Take the cover off the steering column and look closely at the way the switch lever actuates (or not) the reed switches. I was able to glue an extra bit of plastic to the lever and that was enough to force the reed switch to make contact.

Hard to explain, but if this is your problem, it should be pretty obvious when you inspect the switch.

Mark
Old 06-05-2015, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: