Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smoky Mountain Region PCA

Garage
Uro vs Wehrle Fuel Pump Relay?

I recently had an issue with my '82 911SC that turned out to be a faulty (red) fuel pump relay. I temporarily substituted one of the brown multi-purpose relays from the power windows and the car runs perfectly again.

I ordered a Uro fuel pump relay and when I first inserted the new relay into the correct socket, the car would not start! I put the multi-purpose relay back in and it worked perfectly. The Uro relay seemed "loose" in the socket and did not completely and firmly seat the way the multipurpose seemed to. I widened the pins on the Uro relay by pushing a razor knife down the slots in the pins and now it works fine except it still doesn't look quite completely seated against the socket - if you push it in, it seems to spring back just a tiny bit.

In researching this, seems there's a lot of negative comments about the Uro relays. I found an alternative "Wehrle" relay at about twice the price. Wehrle says it is an OEM supplier to Porsche. Anyone with any experience with the Wehrle relay? Does it fit better or require tweaking the pins, etc., too?

Thanks,
John

Old 06-17-2015, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I only use the wehrle ones. Bad luck with UROs too many times.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 06-17-2015, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Rescuer of old cars

Garage
I won't use URO on anything electrical or mechanical. Appearance items like lenses and such may be OK, but I've also had bad luck with more critical parts from them.

1972 911T coupe
Priors - '84 911 Carrera coupe, '84 944, '73 914 2.0
Old 06-17-2015, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I read the bad reviews so bought 6 at once. Only 2 fit properly and I returned the rest. And then those 2 only lasted about 6 months each.

Was sick about the price difference and that the new ones aren't german. I found and bought a bunch of used Wehrle ones. They tested and fit fine.

Funny world where 30 year old electronics are better than the new stuff, so much for progress.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Reiver

URO (ur on your own) is not really a quality (Chinese) maker of electrical components.
I'd buy some rubber trim from them but that's about all.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

John

Have. You found a source for the werhle relays?

I just contacted them in Aus. & they gave me name of local US distributor, not sure if they will sell to public.
'70 TR6
N of Boston
Old 06-18-2015, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

URO sucks outside of their tail light lenses.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
I wouldn't even have a URO for a back up relay......
Old 06-18-2015, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The URO turn signal flasher I recently installed is not very high quality. I'd go for Wherle or Bosch when available.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I do not see the Wherle listed with our host.

Am I missing something??

If not, where have you guys found yours?
'70 TR6
N of Boston
Old 06-18-2015, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have a nightmare with these fuel pump relays The old version URO failed and the Pelican Parts - relay also failed...(MADE IN CHINA)

Got e-mail from URO- wanting my address to send a new version.. Was skeptical sent to my work.. Received a Box with URO stamped all around. Inside was FP-Red Relay. Tried it and has been in my car since 7/2014. My car has 3.3T-with goodies..

"red" relay question
Old 06-18-2015, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
FCP Euro (*******.com) has Wehrle fuel pump relays ... never heard of FCP Euro before, but they seem to have good reviews. Curiously, their multipurpose relays are Uro's! :>(
John
Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfk32 View Post
I have a nightmare with these fuel pump relays The old version URO failed and the Pelican Parts - relay also failed...(MADE IN CHINA)

Got e-mail from URO- wanting my address to send a new version.. Was skeptical sent to my work.. Received a Box with URO stamped all around. Inside was FP-Red Relay. Tried it and has been in my car since 7/2014. My car has 3.3T-with goodies..

"red" relay question
My relay that was previously in my car and that failed said "Made in China" on it. The red URO relay I got the other day did not have "Made in China" on it and it does work, but it just doesn't seem to fit in the socket very well - don't know if it is the "new version" or not? Of course, long-term reliability remains to be seen. I'm getting a Wehrle and keeping the Uro for a back-up. Even if the Uro fails as a back-up, at least you can get going again by borrowing one of the multipurpose relays from the power windows or fog lights!
John
Old 06-18-2015, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

^^^^^
You are correct as to the new version URO not fitting tightly in. I just u razor to expand it and some electric grease. Gotta hunt some junkyards for the good stuff

Walt
Old 06-18-2015, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
/ˈpɔrʃə/ PORSH-ə Fan

What other cars would you find relays like this in a junkyard?
Old 06-18-2015, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Well, the "Wehrle" fuel pump relay from FCP Euro arrived today. Funny, it looked exactly like the one that was in the car when I bought it and prominently has "MADE IN CHINA" embossed on the top! (I once read a Pelican Parts reply that "all the relays are made in China now.") FWIW, the packing list specified it was an "OEM" part. To its credit, it did pop right into the socket and the car started and ran properly without having to tweak the pins wider like I had to do with the URO relay. It is also distinctly different from the URO relay as far as the color (different shade of red) and embossing, etc. Guess we'll see how long it works!
John
Old 06-22-2015, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaustinmd View Post
Well, the "Wehrle" fuel pump relay from FCP Euro arrived today. Funny, it looked exactly like the one that was in the car when I bought it and prominently has "MADE IN CHINA" embossed on the top! (I once read a Pelican Parts reply that "all the relays are made in China now.") FWIW, the packing list specified it was an "OEM" part. To its credit, it did pop right into the socket and the car started and ran properly without having to tweak the pins wider like I had to do with the URO relay. It is also distinctly different from the URO relay as far as the color (different shade of red) and embossing, etc. Guess we'll see how long it works!
John
OEM /= OE

OE=Factory Porsche and whatever tests they may conduct on their suppliers
OEM=Just the supplier
Old 06-22-2015, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I've had several Uro fuel pump relays... is that a bad thing?
Old 06-23-2015, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsoMoore View Post
I've had several Uro fuel pump relays... is that a bad thing?
Yes, in that it is a crap shoot....maybe you've just been lucky. I had one go bad in 24 hours.

I look for used Wehrle units on ebay etc. and have 5 of them for back up. The used one I put in place is fine 2 years later.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
fuel , pump , relay , uro , wehrle