Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sunroof Will Not Open

Hello All. I have an 87 911 Coupe and am having issues with my sunroof. Problem started randomly. When I try to open the sunroof, it opens about an half an inch on the left (driver) side but seems to "get stuck" on the right side and stops. My first thought was that the felt was sticking somewhere. It needed to be replaced. I bought new felt, removed the sunroof, and replaced the felt. With the sunroof out, I press the open/close switch and the cables/clips/guides all seem to work fine. I reinstall the sunroof and the problem re-appears. The cables appear fine at the sunroof end and, again, they move (open/close) without issue when the sunroof is off. I inspected the sunroof motor and the cables seem to be feeding into the gears without issue. Anybody else have this issue or have ideas as to how to resolve it?

Thank you in advance.

Wes
Old 06-28-2015, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mo money = mo parts

Garage
Cable is probably pulling out of the holder. See pic...

Sunroof cable repair and new seals 87 911

86 Coupe (stock - pretty much like Butzi designed it)
65 Ducati Monza 250 & 66 Monza Junior (project)
"if you are lucky enough to own a Porsche, you are lucky enough"
Old 06-29-2015, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

i expected the cable to be the issue, but that does not seem to be the case. The cable remains attached and when the sunroof is off, the motor moves the cable and guides back and forth. My thought at this point is that maybe the track is dirty and, with the weight of the sunroof, the cable or guide gets stuck on something. There does not appear to be significant dirt, but that's my only thought. Anybody ever had the issue of the track being dirty and causing the sunroof to stick?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Could the cable be slipping inside the cast slider but not pulling out ? (As the above poster shows)

If the flat plastic inserts on the front lip of the roof are broken or missing, the air diverter will lift and catch the front lip of the sunroof.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
sunroof