Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
This is probably the simplest most cost effective way to go.

While the Magnaflow is one of the quieter aftermarket, reasonably priced mufflers for our cars, it suffers from one glaring issue, the merge is more of a head on collision which does nothing good for flow a secondary issue is the small can size

I am going through this process, of finding a muffler that flows well. Instead of the magnaflow, I used the dynomax 17552 which has it's own version of the cross over inside the muffler. Above 3000, the flow was great. Below 3000, I experienced a very weird resonance of sorts... made it horrible to drive around town, unless you kept the rpm above 3k.

If anyone has used the magnaflow, can they advise which version it was? And also, did they experience any turbulence or vibration anywhere in the rpm range?
Old 03-16-2019, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Here's the deal . Go large single outlet with correctly sized internal baffled flame tubes (2.5") flow through chambers and 993 mischief heat exchangers and you will never have an issue. Dual outlet is the deal breaker no matter what. I speak from experience as I have built thousands of porsche specific exhaust over the last 20 year's.. I am not speaking from an arm chair QB perspective..

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 03-16-2019, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
Here's the deal . Go large single outlet with correctly sized internal baffled flame tubes (2.5") flow through chambers and 993 mischief heat exchangers and you will never have an issue. Dual outlet is the deal breaker no matter what. I speak from experience as I have built thousands of porsche specific exhaust over the last 20 year's.. I am not speaking from an arm chair QB perspective..
I have one of your dual in, dual out 911R style for 993 heat exchangers and love it...although it is a bit loud for me for daily use. I don't get any drone.

I have been looking to change to something like what Levi did with a GT3 muffler and the valves. I just need to find someone I trust to do the welding/fitting. I'll also do a new rear bumper at the same time to allow for the center outlets.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrivederci View Post
I have one of your dual in, dual out 911R style for 993 heat exchangers and love it...although it is a bit loud for me for daily use. I don't get any drone.

I have been looking to change to something like what Levi did with a GT3 muffler and the valves.

Keep in mind I have nothing to do with M&k and any of their designs in over 7 years so not sure if it was one I was part of or not. I now specialize in 914-6 and have developed quiet mufflers specific for the mid engine loudness.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
Keep in mind I have nothing to do with M&k and any of their designs in over 7 years so not sure if it was one I was part of or not. I now specialize in 914-6 and have developed quiet mufflers specific for the mid engine loudness.
No worries. I'm pretty sure you were still there when I got my muffler. We chatted on the phone years ago (maybe 2010). It is a great muffler.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
A lot of changes have taken place in the last few years. We now offer Street versions of our mufflers for those who like it a little less loud. Recently we built a Street muffler with GT3 pipes for use with the 3.6L Bischoff heat exchangers on an impact bumper transplant. Can do any of our tailpipe configurations on that platform. Tailpipe options are mix and match so you can get any size and also baffling built in if desired.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
On my 3.6 conversion Iím running the end of the headers and then I have a magna flow muffler. It is dual outlet, and I just put a vacuum solenoid on the passenger side. It is connected to the same line that opens the flapper valve on the intake manifold. As a result the second exhaust and intake valves open at 5500 RPM. It was very easy to do, there is no drone, fulltilt itís loud and wonderful, around town itís not bad at all. Very simple solution. According to folks like Steve Wong this is about the best you can do short of a race set up in terms of power as well
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 03-17-2019, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Does changing the number of outlets affect flow to the point where the motor might run differently?

Like, how much does the muffler (after the cat) affect back pressure and what not? I was under the impression that changing tube lengths and restriction force was more involved than is obvious.

As someone who appreciates a quiet exhaust, I've found that there isn't much info out there on getting cars quieter than factory...The best advice I've gotten so far is to install a turbocharger...
Old 03-19-2019, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
Why so complicated ???
Seems no matter what you install after the headers , it will give you some droning, regardless ...

My Fabspeed system was beautiful on a track with a helmet on but now the car is back to street duty and the droning between 2-3 k was unbearable on long trips.
Ended up installing two of those car chemistry inserts in each tailpipe and it's much better now, although my guesstimate is that it somewhat chokes the engine and maybe robs a bit of power ?
I would definitely remove those things if i tracked my car again though !

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96

Last edited by wildcat077; 03-19-2019 at 04:49 PM..
Old 03-19-2019, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
is some using the Dynomax?

Ultra Flo‚ĄĘ Welded X Mufflers - DynoMax¬ģ Performance Exhaust
Old 09-26-2019, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: