Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

911SC 3.6 swap: !!1 Exhaust to do it all!! Need ideas

Hello everyone.

I am getting ready to drop a 1995 3.6 v-ram modified engine into my 1981 sc.
My car is on the lighter side of things and has very little sound proofing for the interior. For the last two years I have been running race headers and a 2IN2OUT m&k exhaust. I cap one side for the street and run both open on track days. That exhaust was loud, very loud. The bigger issue was the drone the car gave off. I could not drive the car without ear plugs. The car sees around 8k street miles per year and 10 track weekends per year. I may put some interior back in the car to help with the sound. The car is fun, just too loud.

So..
After I do the swap I would like to have a local shop build my exhaust. I have $2000-$4000 set aside for this exhaust build. I care more about a drone free setup and a quiet"ish setup than max hp- 300+ in a 2200 lb car will be more than enough. I don't want the car to be too quiet but very much on the lower end of things. I would like to use the stock headers if possible.

I would like ideas on how to do this exhaust. I know there is a company that modifies the 993 mufflers, is there anyway to build an exhaust with the modified parts to keep quiet? Or use gt3 stock mufflers with modified piping?

I think two sepperated exhausts / an exhaust that doesn't murge 3+3 would prevent drone. I. Also down for electric cut offs for street and track.

The room will be limiting. Here are a few ideas below but reall is I think they will be loud.
Some of the pictures have mufflers tucked behind the rear wheels. My oil tank will be in the way, but maybe room somewhere else, or maybe I need to move that tank.

Last edited by saxen; 07-12-2015 at 04:57 PM..
Old 07-12-2015, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Old 07-12-2015, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Another similar thread
What's the quiest muffler for 3.6 conversion
Interesting product
Quiet HORSEPOWER

Last edited by saxen; 07-12-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Old 07-12-2015, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This pic will show you where the headers end- not a lot of room to work with.
Weight isn't the biggest concern I have

I was also wondering if this would be an option
http://fdmotorsports.net/category/fister-exhaust-993/ Using these mufflers, could I build a exhaust system using a lot of the modified oem parts in a package that would fit under my car. Louder than stock without it being overkill?

I know I tossed out a lot of pics/ideas- just looking for other ideas

Last edited by saxen; 07-12-2015 at 05:07 PM..
Old 07-12-2015, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Where are you located? Checkout the system bbi built for their 3.6 g series. Has headers to mufflers behind the engine. They have also done a Setup with the gt3 center muffler. Out headers to the center., center exit This is effectively what I run on my 997 3.6 rs (cup car setup). Car is loud at full tilt but not too loud around town and no drone unless you lug it. Sure others around here have more experience but these two systems work well.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
1984 911 Carrera Coupe - 32C #73 - M64/05
1998 E36 M3 4dr
1989 E30 325i 4dr
2006 Sienna 5dr - the hauler
2010 Cannondale Caffeine II - Lefty
Old 07-12-2015, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

You will not be able to fit the dual 964/993 side mufflers, as the oil tank will be in the way in the wheel wells where they normally sit.

One outlet is quieter than two. Small diameter outlet is quieter than large...

I wouldn't worry too much about it being "too" quiet. I have about as quiet an exhaust as you can get on a 3.6 swap without moving the oil tank, it ain't all that quiet...
Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have a 3.6L in my '74 911. If heat and reasonable quiet are on your needs list, I think the exhaust issue is one of the biggest achilles heels of a 3.6L conversion. A bolt on solution does not exist, that I've found.

Bigger diameter SSIs would be the ticket for headers that bolt to a 2 into 1 stock style banana muffler, which would be a good solution for sound I think.

I have Fabspeed headers w/heat (which I would not recommend) and a GT3 muffler, which sounds great, but is very loud. Almost unenjoyable loud on the street.

I bet if someone could come up with a bolt-on solution that provides good, SSI quality heat and is reasonably quiet, they could sell a significant number of sets!

Just my experience.

Tom
Old 07-13-2015, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hey guys,

I do not need heat. have not had it for a while and its not very important to me.
Tremelune, I am worried about too loud- quiet is the Goal!

I was hoping for two out- but single may be the way to go. ideas
Old 07-13-2015, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Move the oil tank, use 993 heat exchangers and flow master or similar mufflers on each side with a suitable exit pipe and tip. Cheap to make and pretty quiet. Moving the tank is the only real headache. I've got a 964 tank and was planning to use that.

https://dergarage.com

'80 SC Weissach, '01 986S, '99 C2 Cab, '97 TJ, '01 Disco SE7, '06 KTM SM950
Old 07-13-2015, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I don't find this setup too loud inside the car. M&K muffler with stock 993 headers. No drone either since I installed car chemistry inserts in the tips. I think I wrapped one or both in steel wool too.

Exhaust - CC Inserts - Car Chemistry, Inc.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Those Car Chemistry inserts are interesting. I wonder what they do to power output.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

You could talk to Brian at RarelyL8 about modifying one of these mufflers to work with the stock 993 3.6 heat exchangers.

http://www.mkexhaust.com/products/custom_rally.html

When you want to be quiet, plug the center outlets, and unplug the side outlet. When you want to be loud, unplug the centers and plug the side outlet. It's very analog, but very versatile. The 993 heat exchangers are the last dual outlet exhaust Porsche designed for an aircooled car, so they are pretty good. I"m sure you could make this work for way less than your budget.

Last edited by will hung; 07-14-2015 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: added hyperlink to muffler
Old 07-14-2015, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

when I had my last m&k even with one end plugged it was loud. not only inside buy out. I got a few warnings from police (never a ticket just warnings, 3 in 1.5 years to be exact)
I thought about the idea above but I fear it will be just as loud as my old set up with all ends caped but one.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I'm very happy with my triad exhaust. To me, it is just right amount of sound. I drive the car for commute / around town residential areas and freeway driving.

Previously had a 2 in 2 out magnaflow setup which was too loud in and outside the car. It attracted way too much negative attention.

Car is 1972 Targa with 1995 3.6l - single O2 sensor

I don't have particularly good pictures, but you get the idea

Before

The Triad exhaust

After

Contact info I have for Dave at Triad

Dave @ triad
(360) 280-6855 cell
triadwest@comcast.net
Old 07-14-2015, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxen View Post
when I had my last m&k even with one end plugged it was loud. not only inside buy out. I got a few warnings from police (never a ticket just warnings, 3 in 1.5 years to be exact)
I thought about the idea above but I fear it will be just as loud as my old set up with all ends caped but one.
That's fair.

Here is another alternative. Since you say heat isn't an issue, get yourself a set of equal length headers, sized appropriately to the 3.6. For a muffler either get yourself a Sycip rally muffler,

Pelican Parts - Product Information: SYC-MUF-1

Or have one made using a Dansk 2in/1out muffler. In all honesty, you'd probably be better off getting the Dansk 2in/1out muffler and have your exhaust guy modify the muffler into a 2in/3out design as the inlets would probably need to be enlarged also. This would provide the best combo of low noise/high performance for a road car with occasional track time.

What are you using for engine management? Stock Motronic, chipped Motronic, or aftermarket? Obviously, if you are running tuned engine management, you'll either need switchable maps or tune it with the 2 outlet setup so that you will be a little rich with the single outlet, but right on with 2 outlets instead of lean with the 2 outlet.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

If you want a "quiet" 3.6 exhaust using 993 heat exchangers then Triad is my recommendation as well. This is what's installed on my 3.6 cab and is by far the "quietest" 3.6 exhaust I've heard. Yes it's still loud but nowhere near as loud as most 3.6 conversion exhaust systems.

My other suggestion is George's Euro headers into a 2 in 1 out Bursch/Dynomax muffler.

If you want to go all stainle$$ then M&K headers (with or without heat) into a Monty 2 in 1 out muffler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356graham View Post
I'm very happy with my triad exhaust. To me, it is just right amount of sound. I drive the car for commute / around town residential areas and freeway driving.

The Triad exhaust

After

Contact info I have for Dave at Triad

Dave @ triad
(360) 280-6855 cell
triadwest@comcast.net
Old 07-15-2015, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

does the triad drone at all?
Old 07-15-2015, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxen View Post
does the triad drone at all?
I'm happy to report there is ZERO drone, and I'm very sensitive to drone!

I do think you lose some top end power with this 3.6 Triad muffler vs. a super-free-flowing-not-really-a-muffler-style-muffler although if drone and volume are important to you then this is one of very few mufflers available that actually works.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Thank you for that info
Old 07-18-2015, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: