Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I have a question about Porsche 911 VIN numbers that don't match.....................

I have a question about Porsche 911 VIN numbers that don't match. I'm interested in buying this mid eighties 911 Carrera, but the VIN number under the front hood does not match the VIN on the driver side door jam sticker. The VIN stamped under the front hood is WP0ZZZ91Z########, and someone told me that the car was originally sold and driven in Europe, is that true? There is the standard legit looking Porsche VIN sticker in the drivers door jam that is the same looking sticker on other Porsche cars that I've owned that has the different VIN # WPOABO918######## on it. The last 8 numbers on both VINS match. Could this mean that this 911 Carrera was originally sold new and driven in Europe, and then sold and shipped to the United States at a later date at which time the new WPOABO918######## VIN was attached to it by the DMV or some other agency? The new WPOABO918######## VIN is on the cars Title and the Title is clean. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Old 07-13-2015, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
It's a grey market car.....imported by a private party, then Federalized with DOT glass, smog crap, etc. Drives the insurance companies crazy. Get used to it...I have every time I switch companies.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
It's a grey market car.....imported by a private party, then Federalized with DOT glass, smog crap, etc. Drives the insurance companies crazy. Get used to it...I have every time I switch companies.
Joe Bob -- not sure that's always the case -- see:

VIN Question - 1982 911SC Targa

and

ROW vin/US vin on the same car, big mess!!!
Old 07-13-2015, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Mine has been registered in three different States, Texas, CA and Oregon. When you explain it, they get it. It's an 83 and has been in the US since 85.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheesch1 View Post
I have a question about Porsche 911 VIN numbers that don't match. I'm interested in buying this mid eighties 911 Carrera, but the VIN number under the front hood does not match the VIN on the driver side door jam sticker. The VIN stamped under the front hood is WP0ZZZ91Z########, and someone told me that the car was originally sold and driven in Europe, is that true? There is the standard legit looking Porsche VIN sticker in the drivers door jam that is the same looking sticker on other Porsche cars that I've owned that has the different VIN # WPOABO918######## on it. The last 8 numbers on both VINS match. Could this mean that this 911 Carrera was originally sold new and driven in Europe, and then sold and shipped to the United States at a later date at which time the new WPOABO918######## VIN was attached to it by the DMV or some other agency? The new WPOABO918######## VIN is on the cars Title and the Title is clean. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Your car in question is a USA car, every 911 built back then had the wpozzz in the trunk, all ROW cars have a VIN with WPOZZZ USA and Canada cars WPO then 3 more alphas.

Last 8 match on title, trunk and jamb you are good to go, run a car fax to be sure.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo owner View Post
Your car in question is a USA car, every 911 built back then had the wpozzz in the trunk, all ROW cars have a VIN with WPOZZZ USA and Canada cars WPO then 3 more alphas.

Last 8 match on title, trunk and jamb you are good to go, run a car fax to be sure.
As per above, nothing wrong with the "mismatch" of the 4th, 5th, 6th and the 9th position.

The AB0 stand for:

A: US/Cdn Coupe
B: Engine Version
0: Seat Belt only car (a 2 would indicate that the car has Airbag)

The 9th position is a placeholder that is Z for RoW or C, X or 0 to 9 digit for US/Cdn car.

Go to Carfax.com and you can get the number of "entry" against the VIN for free.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 07-13-2015, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Vinyl pimp

Garage
As mentioned it's last 8 numbers that matter. The previous are just manufacturer identifiers, location of sale, model and whatever.

BTW, CARFAX on Porsche is only good from 83 and up. Even then they make mistakes. My ride has two files, one that uses "0" and the other that uses "O".....the mistake and Oregon DMV got my ride arrested once. They refused to compensate me for the tow, the fees and damages.

The big reason I have done so many mods is that every Tom, Dick and Harry looks down on grey market rides. Screw them.....

Back to CARFUCHSUPS. Garbage in, crap out.....weenies with a fifth grade education sending in reports and YOU have to straighten it out. An extra zero in odometers, totaled rides for 1,000 dollar fender bender, skipped titles, flood cars being clean title......Biggest scam since my Granddad got in Granny's panties.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Do your homework, bring in a translation of the VIN to the DMV. Most of those mouth breathers don't know what they mean. Educate them, ask .... politely for a supervisor. Calmly explain it again......

I once had a 58, 356 from Jersey. Was registered as a 59 and they used the engine number as the VIN. ALL FUBAR'd. Did my homework, had a few print outs and got it fixed in CA in ONE DMV office visit. Title in 2 weeks in my hand.

Take a deep breathe, smoke a bowl, a shot of Jack and write down what you need. PM me if need advice.

I also once had a 1957 VW van that had 15 title changes, no registration for ten years, four different states and I got it fixed for $25. Of course that was 1973..... %^)
Old 07-13-2015, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the quality feedback guys! Cheers!

Thanks for the quality feedback guys! Cheers!

Old 07-13-2015, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
dmv , euro , vin , vins