Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Beautiful Duane! What a shine!!! Your attention to detail is amazing. Congratulations!
Previously owned several 911 models since 1975.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #341 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
For a trial on the wing get some of that Plasti Dip removable black and paint your idea to see if you like it.
It may be cool to do a reverse paint scheme with the entire cover black and the outer lip white.

Car looks great.

I just went through a similar exercise with my friend that owns Novelli's auto body. I purchased some large tow mirrors for my truck and there is a smooth cover that is painted to match the truck. I dropped them off and said, "the paint code is Oxford White." thinking that was all he needed.
He smiles and grabs a ring with color chips on it. There were about 10 oxford whites on it and they varied from a blue tint to a yellow tint. We stood out in the sun going back and forth with chip cards for 20+ min trying to pick the correct shade.
White is not White.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #342 (permalink)

Garage
I think a wing on a narrow body mid year looks not so great. I would keep the standard decklid and sell it.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #343 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
I think a wing on a narrow body mid year looks not so great. I would keep the standard decklid and sell it.
Agreed. Or maybe a ducktail if you want a wing, which would suit the narrow body better imo.

Following along closely as youíre doing a lot of thing Iíll be tackling at some point as well. Cheers!
Old 11-01-2018, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #344 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
I had the guy that did my part paint three engine lids... one duct tail, one stock lid with no spoilers, one stock lid that holds that heavy rubber whale spoiler... and just order a 964 engine lid setup from ebay. Going to have now them paint a 964 lid with the factory power-raised spoiler...

Car now has the duck spoiler on... but I agree with others... I tend to like the looks of no spoiler... reason for going with the 964 lid conversion to have it both ways. I regret (on my 964) installing a big wing... also considering going back to the stock setup on that one...

You might consider that option....

And just to say that this has been an awesome build. Thank you for sharing the journey.

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 11-01-2018, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #345 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post

I also opted to put the stock mirror back on. I couldn't see anything out of the talbot greendot knockoff I bought. Drilling out a hole in the door was a bit scary.

What did you use as template to drill the holes? To make sure it was installed in the correct position/location. I need to install mine as well and not really looking forward to drilling the holes...

Also, how easy was it to access from the inside to install the bolts?

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
Old 11-04-2018, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #346 (permalink)

Registered Minimalist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
What did you use as template to drill the holes? To make sure it was installed in the correct position/location. I need to install mine as well and not really looking forward to drilling the holes...

Also, how easy was it to access from the inside to install the bolts?
I sort of cheated. One of the holes was there all along. The other had been accidentally welded shut by my body-man.

I put the mirror on in the position I thought it was supposed to go using only the back bolt. Then I found a bunch of photos online of the stock angle of the front hole. On the inside of the door I could see the spot weld so I knew the area in general.

I used some tape and markings to get it exactly where I wanted then I used a new tiny drill bit. From there I used 3 or 4 gradually larger drill bits. I used a round file to dress the hole and then sprayed some spray paint on a piece of cardboard and used a small brush to paint the edge of the metal to prevent rust.

I know that doesn't necessarily help you if you have no holes atm. Maybe someone with a 74-75 with the mirror off can measure.

-------------------------------------------

A little more follow up on wheel weights. Check this out:

Powdercoated 15X6 ATS "Cookie Cutter" 13.8lbs

Body shop painted Fuchs Forged Alloy Black base with clear coat (76 stamped "Flat 6") 13.8lbs

Bead blasted Fuchs (from same set) with 3 layers of rattle can paint 13.4lbs

This wheel weight chart says a 6X15 is supposed to weigh 12.5lbs, but it groups several versions together (like the early ones and the midyear ones) I don't think I weighed them when they were were bare, but I don't think it was 12.5, but I can't be sure. If anyone has a midyear 6X15 flat Fuchs -stock finish, lemme know what it weighs in at.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html

Last edited by 75 911s; 11-04-2018 at 01:56 PM..
Old 11-04-2018, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #347 (permalink)
San Ramon, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
au contraire... Wing on a narrow body is the best look of all
Old 11-04-2018, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #348 (permalink)

Garage
naaaa, I think same way as ADDvanced... it would spoil the neat and charming look and kill the charme of these narrow bodies.
It's actually the grand thing of these cars, that the don't look any bit anabolic but can be fierce little racers e.g. with a well carbed engine or even a swap to a 3.2 (maybe tuned up 3.4).

the wolves in sheepskin!

Just look at it how clean and mean this one is stanced!
DONT SPOIL IT WITH A SPOILER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post

https://www.facebook.com/911garage

Last edited by Flojo; 11-05-2018 at 03:24 AM..
Old 11-05-2018, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #349 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Forgot the photo...

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
Old 11-05-2018, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #350 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Wachuko -

I've considered that setup. I actually found a guy that makes a singer knockoff version. It has a black lip and a bit more duck to it.

Still, I'm sticking with my whale to run for fun occasionally. I think with the right paint scheme it can work. Here's another narrow body IB that runs a whale. He has Carrera stickers, but it's a 911S with a narrowbody. I love the look!

My main concern with the whale is that it is stupid heavy:

This mostly stems from the fact that it's mounted on a steel decklid and retains the rear steel top portion. Since the paint was goofed I had nothing to lose and I started a lightening project.

My plan is to cut out some of the excess steel, sand it down and remove some of the filler and the layers of clear coat and then re-paint.

I started with this bracket. I think it was to mount the original plastic ac duct or some other contraption.

My hope is to remove 5-8lbs of weight. I can live with 20lbs. A full glass whale like this one weighs about 14.5lbs.

There's a section of steel I can cut out as well as drill some holes in non structural portions of the frame. It's a full custom whale anyway, so with projects like this, they evolve. Hopefully for the better.

Switching gears, I also have the on-going 3.4 project. I picked up my case from a friends shop who hot tanked it used a tool to clean the piston squirters out.

The case has 20+ hours of cleaning to go...

Wondering how many of you replaced the perimeter bolts with new hardware? Nothing wrong with the threads, but just want a fresh gold stud there.

In the mean time I discovered a "clunk" when turning. I inspected the front end a few times and found nothing. I was focusing on the suspension and not seeing anything that was loose or out of place.

After my third inspection, I finally found one of my steering rack bolts was backing out. I had put bump steer spacers in and red loctite on the bolts when I put the new ones in, but it was still coming loose.

I've decided to do a front end refresh since there were a few things that needed to be done on the front end. It really needs the suspension geometry corrected. I've never replaced the front control arm bushings either. Both steering rack boots are wasted too. It's time to get in there and make it right.

The plan is to send my strut housings over to Elephant and have them raise the spindle 19mm (max amount to clear my 15" Fuchs) and add reinforcement gussets.

I'll install the racing bump steer kit and new rubber control arm bushings.

This should help significantly with the crazy low stance I have by improving handling and ride quality. It's not terrible now, considering how low the car is, but I'll see a big improvement with corrected front suspension geometry.

We have a pretty mild winter in Las Vegas as you would expect. With the holidays, I'll have about a month to do the front suspension project and have it done in time for prime weather driving here early next year.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #351 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
such a great looking car.
love seeing updates on this one.

IG: @doktor_b
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #352 (permalink)

Garage
Doesn't look crazy low to me, looks just right. I have the steering rack spacers but normal tie rod ends; have not encountered crazy bump steer tho. When do you notice it?
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #353 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1975 porsche 911s