Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I love the wiper mod Duane, nice work. I guess I need to put that on my "to do" list!
Previously owned several 911 models since 1975.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #361 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Picked up a fairly unique quick release:

I also picked up the Rothsport hub adapter for the quick release they make. This one uses the same bolt pattern. I plan to mod the rothsport hub to accept a horn ring. It's short, only about 2 inches or so, and combined with the quick release it is the same length as the momo l231 hub. I might try a satin black finish on both. Maybe cerekote. I want it to be subtle.

Got a few other low priority projects on deck:

Raise front spindles - not a huge priority but I think it will help ride quality a lot.

PMB refresh on calipers - The red enamel I slathered on a few years ago bugs me and it wouldn't hurt to have them like new in performance.

Frunk clean up. A few paint and cleanup issues here. Might get a 993 spare.

My 3.4 build marches on as well. I had the pump rebuilt:

Took my custom whale back to the paint shop along with my decklid to match it.

Threw on a duck. More about that later.

Hope your winter projects are going great!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 02-12-2019, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #362 (permalink)

so really the duck doesn't look all that bad in these photos.

It's probably a lot like my car where I know with painful precision where every single screw up in the vinyl is. But when old man PCA walks up and says "I like your paint!" I'm reminded maybe it's not so bad.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #363 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Yeah the duck is fine at 5 feet. It's plasti-dipped so it's kinda homage to that early rubber wing that porsche made in the 70's. (OK it's a plasti-dipped wing! LOL)

I'll upload the horror pics and the reason why I went cheap later. It's clearly insanity or inspiration. Fine line I guess.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 02-12-2019, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #364 (permalink)

Garage
Beautiful car, purity of purpose and....those Nevada skies! We're at that time of year in New England where winter fatigue is well and truly grinding us down. Best, John
Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #365 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Beautiful car, purity of purpose and....those Nevada skies! We're at that time of year in New England where winter fatigue is well and truly grinding us down. Best, John
John,

Flights are always direct and cheap to Fabulous Las Vegas and there are plenty of blue skies to go around-come on out!

Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #366 (permalink)

Garage
True! Would want to bring my SC as carry-on.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #367 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Such a great looking car, DW.
Wonky duck issues or no, it looks great from where most folks will see it. (passing on the road)

*I try to jump on any and all opportunities to use the word 'wonky'

IG: @doktor_b
Old 02-12-2019, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #368 (permalink)

Garage
Duane and Chris, "wanky" is a good adjective, too. Or the noun, "wanker"; verb, "to wank". Standard insult traded among Brits. John
Old 02-13-2019, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #369 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Duane and Chris, "wanky" is a good adjective, too. Or the noun, "wanker"; verb, "to wank". Standard insult traded among Brits. John
Speaking of wanker, this is exactly what I felt like when I began to fit my new $230 ducktail.

Or maybe sucker.

I will say that it arrived very quickly. We're not too far from China on the West Coast (kidding)

Obligitory weigh in: Just under 8lbs. WOW so there's one good thing about it!

It comes with some trash mounting studs. The studs were casually affixed and somewhat perpendicular. They were all about 1/4" too long, so I set about cutting them off and chasing the threads that were covered in gunk from when it was built.

The top was the most egregious. I believe the whole top had shrunk and pulled back the entire top line and corners.

As a result of the shrinkage the top gap was enormous and very wavy:

The sides also have these strange gaps. I don't think that's right:

Here's another shot of the side gap (arrow) I also drilled some holes and put some nut-certs in for a grille I already had.

I removed .8lbs of junk from the donor grille first:

The final result is a "track ready" 5 footer for sure.

So you're saying "Duane, why did you buy such an epic piece of garbage?"

Two words my friends:

A L U M I N U M

D U C K

eh? Who's with me?!? I want to make my own. More to come on that. So this cheap duck will serve as a rough buck to cut pieces of aluminum out and form a decklid, and then a duck.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #370 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
So you're saying "Duane, why did you buy such an epic piece of garbage?"

Two words my friends:

A L U M I N U M

D U C K

eh? Who's with me?!? I want to make my own. More to come on that. So this cheap duck will serve as a rough buck to cut pieces of aluminum out and form a decklid, and then a duck.
DW, you're exactly my kind of maniac. Keep up the great work and fantastic documentation.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #371 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Thanks buddy. So A little background. There was a guy with an English wheel that used to show up to the LA Roadster show. My dad and I would come out every year on Father's day. Sometimes we would do a swap space, sometimes we would just walk the show. Our favorite part was always the vendor sections and the swap. Inevitably, we would spend a lot of time watching the the English wheel guy. Wik Sr is a pretty good metal guy. He 'gets' the technique. Some people just can't wrap their heads around shrinking and stretching. I don't know yet if that's me, but I think I grasp the concepts and I've enjoyed banging and forming some basic pieces over the years.

Fast forward to 20 plus years later and of course we all know about Rod Emory and his metal forming shop of wonders. Rod and his guys have been a huge inspiration as well as this gentleman Ron Covell:

I also really enjoy Chris Runge:

This youtube channel is amazing as well:

It's a super ambitious project but I definitely want to try. Without dropping a lot on a hobby I'm not sure I have a true knack for, I'm just going to start with a bag and a mallet.

I'll post a follow up of my "hood scoop" project (not going on the car, just practice) soon.

An all aluminum duck tail may not be possible. There might be too much force on the duck portion. I think according to one graph, depending on speed there can be over 300lbs of force on the tail. Obviously the factory made an aluminum decklid and then glued a fiberglass duck to it. That might be the final result.

For a decklid, there are a few major components.

1. The outer skin
2. The inner skin
3. The cross brace
4. The grille recessed area panel

And for the duck
1. A different outer skin (higher profile on the sides like an RS duck)
2. The front of the duck
3. The back and top of the duck

All items are TIG welded

I figure I would eventually need:

1. An English wheel of decent quality and with a big enough throat to accommodate the width of a Porsche decklid
2. A bead roller
3. Various mallets
4. TIG welder
5. assorted clamps and misc tools I don't already have.
6. Possibly a big welding table.

I would love to hear from anyone that does this as a hobby.

Cheers.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #372 (permalink)

Garage
Duane,
Really interested to see where this goes. I greatly admire your “make it” mentality. This thread has been a real inspiration as I’m building my own car. Seems whenever I run low on energy, you post an update that gets me fired up again.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1022378-yes-its-another-white-911-build.html
Old 02-14-2019, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #373 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Some exciting "duck details" have transpired and I'll post an update soon.

In the mean time, I made this video a few months ago as a test to see if I liked going through the trouble for future projects. Check it out:

Old 03-09-2019, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #374 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
sweet video, DW!

Old 03-09-2019, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #375 (permalink)

Garage
Great job...mellow, thoughtful vibe. John
Old 03-09-2019, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #376 (permalink)

Garage
Nice video!👍👍👍
Old 03-09-2019, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #377 (permalink)

Video turned out great!
Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #378 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1975 porsche 911s