Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Engine 6550043 Tells me it's a 6 cylinder model year 1975, 5 = US California car

Anyone know the production numbers of this car? I can find 911s 1975 for US, but not for California.

Last edited by 75 911s; 08-31-2015 at 05:43 AM..
Old 08-12-2015, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Nice car! Good luck with it.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
What mirror is this?

All the 75 cars I see have one chrome mirror and it's the one they sell here on Pelican.

Is this some aftermarket or other Porsche mirror?

Can I get a black version of this:
1975 Porsche 911 S Coupe - Exterior Trim - Page 4

I've noticed a lot of cars with a black painted version of that mirror.

My car has passenger side holes and the mirror is gone. I was thinking of patching the holes but I guess some 75 cars you could order with dual? or was the CA 911s stock with both side mirrors?

Last edited by 75 911s; 09-09-2015 at 06:00 AM..
Old 09-09-2015, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
I thought they switched to flag mirrors in '75.
Nope, 1976.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
Is this some aftermarket or other Porsche mirror?

I've noticed a lot of cars with a black painted version of that mirror.

My car has passenger side holes and the mirror is gone. I was thinking of patching the holes but I guess some 75 cars you could order with dual? or was the CA 911s stock with both side mirrors?
Looks like an aftermarket mirror. The black mirror in 1975 was 911.731.017.20 and the similar one for the right hand side is 911.731.017.21.

JR
Old 09-09-2015, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Bollweevil

75 911S:

The driver side mirror is (or looks like) a Vitaloni flag mirror. My '74 came with a chrome mirror on driver side only and I really wanted a passenger side mirror also. At that time (1985) flag mirrors were the in thing and not being able to find a passenger side chrome mirror (this was before the internet) I put black Vitaloni flags on both sides and they worked great.
However, I recently put the original style chrome mirrors back on both sides. You can now order a Porsche original chrome passenger side mirror from Pelican (pricey). I just like the original chromes better than any other look.

Last edited by 74-911; 09-09-2015 at 07:45 AM..
Old 09-09-2015, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
76 911S Targa

Keep mirrors on both sides. The right side mirror is very handy when backing into parking spots or changing lanes in traffic.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Yes, that mirror is a Vitaloni. I have a pair on my 1970 that I am switching out.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Thank you all for help identifying the mirror. Indeed it is a Vitaloni (Tornado I think). I'll be putting on the original mirrors '75 mirrors from our host. PO had another Vitaloni on the passenger side, (I'm assuming since it's gone) so rather than weld up the holes, in the name of safety I'll be putting a passenger mirror on that side.

Questions:
1. Are midyear narrow body rears the same as the early narrow body cars as far as wheel tire/combo?

2. SC and later "Narrow body" are they wider in back than a 75,76,77 narrow body?

3. Will 17's be too modern for my car? Are 16" tires really as hard to come by as the threads I'm reading say they are? That's one main reason I'm considering the 17".

4. What ET should I be getting? I found a few wheel fitment charts, but none list 17X7. And they deal mainly in Fuchs with the original offsets.

Last edited by 75 911s; 09-25-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Old 09-18-2015, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Answers:

1. yes. Front and rear, a late 60's/early '70's 911 has the same fender sizes as your car.

2. yes, by quite a bit.

3. yes, and no. see below.

4. 36 mm is stock, so the closer you stick to that, the better. Actually, the wider you go, the more offset would be helpful, up to a point.

You have limited power, as you note. Any larger wheel is just going to slow your car down and make it feel less lively. If you don't need the last .05g in a corner, consider keeping the wheel size to 6x15 and run a Pirelli P6000 tire.

If you have to upgrade, there are plenty of choices in a 16" tire and I'd suggest a 6x16 Fuchs. Lots of them out there, not expensive, and lighter and better quality than any of the aftermarket wheels you are thinking about.

People think they need wider tires and the latest/greatest rubber compounds. Unless you track the car, all you're doing is slowing the car down and throwing away the light feel that gave these cars their reputation. Then there is the aesthetic consideration and I think a mid-year car looks stupid with 17" wheels.

My .02, after 35+ years of playing with a whole bunch of 911s.

JR
Old 09-18-2015, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
^Thanks JR, solid advice.

On the 6x16 Fuchs, sometimes I run across a "flat Fuchs"? is that different? Prefer the look of a deeper dish rim.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

There was only one 6x16 Fuchs. The "flat face" and "deep Six" Fuchs were 15x6. The deep six used to be more highly sought after, especially the version that had a different shape to the forging near the valve stem that gave that adjacent opening a heart shape. Nowdays, originality is all that matters, so the guys that want flat six Fuchs want them just as much as the deep six owners want theirs. Deep six wheels were used up until 1971, then the flat six wheels took over. Technically, I prefer the flat six, as the earlier wheels were originally designed to be run with tubes and it's hard to find a decent valve stem for some of them. Some people machine the valve stem areas on these wheels to solve the problem.

None of the 6 inch wheels have a really deep dish look. The 7x15 does, a little bit.

JR
Old 09-18-2015, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Hello again.

Some updates on my car.

The car has been at my fathers in phoenix as it was his neighbor that I bought it from. I live in Las Vegas, so I'm finally down visiting for the holidays and got to personally inspect my car for the first time. Wow was I excited to see it in person!

The PO is a great guy and apparently was a roadie/stagehand for a lot of bands like GNR and Black Sabbath. This was verified when i looked under the dash mat and found a pile of backstage parking passes. :-D

He ended up finding all the records for me which was fantastic. The cache included original owner's manual which showed place of purchase along with the 2nd owners info as well as a ton of records and manuals.

Cool speedo calibration document…speedo was off then…who knows now…

Also included was a bevy of 912 books and owners manual.

I'll be listing this stuff on the classified..anyone have a ballpark of what a 66 912 manual goes for? It's written in with some mileage but no vin or owner info.

It may be connected to one of the PO's.

The car is in good and bad shape. Good as far as it being complete and so far rust free from what I could see. Bad as far as the engine / tranny are leaking like a sieve. Receipts revealed some interesting info. There was a top end rebuild some time ago and some significant damage to valves and rockers that got replaced.

Also another receipt showed paint work….but didn't give specifics…once I saw that…yep the paint work was obvious. See if you can spot it…

I wanted to get the 74 carerra mirrors that are NLA in all black. Pellican showed them in stock for much cheaper than the chrome versions and I ordered them only to be emailed later that of course they are NLA. Too good to be true.

So WTB the black 71-75 mirrors if anyone has a set, or just the driver side.

Also WTB two 15 X 6 FUCHS and two 15x7 fuchs (Driver quality)

I gotta 86 these cookies!

-Duane
Old 12-23-2015, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Nice car,
The cookies will look great in black, and give you the option to find the Fuchs that you like, I ran 7" fuchs on my middie and had to roll the fenders a little.
Looks like you have the Bursch style thermal destroyer replacements, the EGR looks like its still in place, the host sells block off plugs for the heads.
Fresh tires, triangle of death reseal, some black rustoleum for the rims and drive it like its stolen!
Enjoy!
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 12-23-2015, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

I have also that mirror on my 1975 911S
Old 12-23-2015, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Nice car - I have it's twin. Just removed the air injectors - not much fun, ended up with three heli-coils . I also have the Bursch ???? manifolds - have been trying to find out some info on them. Couldn't find gaskets in our hosts catalogue. Are these manifolds a quality item - sure like the fact that you can remove the heat exchangers by two flanges.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
I gotta 86 these cookies!

-Duane
I wouldn't, but I would strip the black paint off and keep them silver. These cookies are classic and are getting more rare with every passing day. Everybody has fuchs, they're a dime a dozen... How boring can that be? Keep it classic and unique. Besides, cookies look so cool, even somewhat retro, if you know what I mean. Why be like everyone else?

If you insist on getting rid of them, let me know. My neighbor is looking for a set to replace the fuchs on his 89 Carrera just like I did on my 87.

Cheers from the cookie lover,

Joe
Senior Redwood PCA member since 1976

Last edited by stlrj; 12-24-2015 at 04:41 AM..
Old 12-24-2015, 02:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Enzo View Post
No shame in owning a mid! Looking great.
Darn right!

Well done, she look like a good car.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Answers:

1. yes. Front and rear, a late 60's/early '70's 911 has the same fender sizes as your car.

2. yes, by quite a bit.

3. yes, and no. see below.

4. 36 mm is stock, so the closer you stick to that, the better. Actually, the wider you go, the more offset would be helpful, up to a point.

You have limited power, as you note. Any larger wheel is just going to slow your car down and make it feel less lively. If you don't need the last .05g in a corner, consider keeping the wheel size to 6x15 and run a Pirelli P6000 tire.

If you have to upgrade, there are plenty of choices in a 16" tire and I'd suggest a 6x16 Fuchs. Lots of them out there, not expensive, and lighter and better quality than any of the aftermarket wheels you are thinking about.

People think they need wider tires and the latest/greatest rubber compounds. Unless you track the car, all you're doing is slowing the car down and throwing away the light feel that gave these cars their reputation. Then there is the aesthetic consideration and I think a mid-year car looks stupid with 17" wheels.

My .02, after 35+ years of playing with a whole bunch of 911s.

JR
This is really good advice, let the car move around some and it will be more fun at road speeds.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
I also have a 75 which is the same year as my birth. Mine is a Targa. I really want to find a 75 Coupe to go along with the targa. A 74 would be acceptable though. hehe

'75 911s Targa
Old 12-24-2015, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrj View Post
I wouldn't, but I would strip the black paint off and keep them silver. These cookies are classic and are getting more rare with every passing day. Everybody has fuchs, they're a dime a dozen... How boring can that be? Keep it classic and unique. Besides, cookies look so cool, even somewhat retro, if you know what I mean. Why be like everyone else?

If you insist on getting rid of them, let me know. My neighbor is looking for a set to replace the fuchs on his 89 Carrera just like I did on my 87.

Cheers from the cookie lover,

Joe
Senior Redwood PCA member since 1976
We need to stop using the derogatory term "Cookie Cutters" I herby ban the term "Cookie Cutters" and from henceforth they shall be known as ATS wheels!

I actually like them as much as I bag on them. They definitely do fit the stock look rather well and to the uninitiated, they look like "Euro racing wheels" -at least that's what one non Porsche enthusiast referred to them as.

Last edited by 75 911s; 01-31-2016 at 02:25 PM..
Old 12-26-2015, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1975 porsche 911s