Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Shift coupler update?

I recently replaced the bushings on my shift coupler, and then I noticed that both JWest Engineering and Wevo sell upgraded shift couplers. Has anyone tried either of these, and did it make any difference?
Old 09-04-2015, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
I went to WEVO and love it. Took a little work to get it adjusted right because there's less play in the design, but once adjusted it shifts more crisp and smooth; plus no bushings to wear out.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
Second best upgrade you can do after the Wevo shifter itself..
Old 09-04-2015, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Before I became aware of the Wevo and the Renshift products, I read about the Porsche short shift kit (our host gives it rave reviews). So I went ahead and installed that upgrade. It was a significant improvement, for sure. I have no idea how much more improvement, if any the Wevo or Renshift shifter would be, than the Porsche unit. Has anyone tried both the Porsche and one of these others?

Another thread also suggests that replacing the clutch cable can improve shifting as well. Since I had a cable snap on me while driving a 914 once, and since I'm still not satisfied with shift performance, it seems like a good idea on a 32 year-old car with 116K miles. So that's next on my list, but looking past that, perhaps the coupler upgrade. Btw, the 915 transmission I'm driving was rebuilt approximately 20K miles ago.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
I upgrade to the PRECISION SHIFT COUPLER (SR010) from STOMSKI RACING.

Very nice, available here (11 item down the page): Porsche 911 (1974-1989) - Shift Linkage - Page 6

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-04-2015, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
First, replace worn out stuff...

Shortly after I got Dad's 74 home, the shift shaft bushing grenade, then I found out that the cup bushing was sloppy as well - it really shifted badly, very very sloppy.
I replaced both front bushings and installed the factory short shifter and of course, it was a major improvement.
I bought a new factory coupler but haven't installed it yet.

I am thinking replacing the stock worn out unit with either a stomsky or Wevo unit, probably the wevo unit.

Additionally, I think I will install the wevo shifter, primarily for the spring loading of the 2-3 and secondarily for the shortened shift, (like the factory short shifter).

Unfortunately, I think the trans is due for a major overhaul, LSD, budget permitting.

So, the short version of all of this is to check the front bushings as well as the rear coupler, then decide how much you want to spend on the shifter:-)

chris

P.S. looking forward to discussion of the various coupler units.

PPS Don't forget to check the engine and trans mounts too. Slop in either or both don't help the shifting experience.

I have opted to go with the poly, (sport hardness) tranny and engine mount pieces, not stock rubber or solid.

Last edited by chrismorse; 09-04-2015 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: brain fade.......
Old 09-04-2015, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismorse View Post
... Additionally, I think I will install the wevo shifter, primarily for the spring loading of the 2-3 and secondarily for the shortened shift, (like the factory short shifter)...
In addition to the STOMSKI coupler, I did the Short Shift kit from Porsche as well as the Seine Systems Gate Shift Kit which spring default back to the 3rd and 4th gear plane. Work like a charm.

The shift from 2nd and 3rd is now unbelievably fast.

12 item down the top of the page: Porsche 911 (1974-1989) - Shift Linkage - Page 5

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-04-2015, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Has anyone replaced the stock plastic bushings with delrin or metal in the stock coupler for a 901 shifter? Did this make a difference?

1970 Porsche 911 E Coupe/Targa - Shift Linkage - Page 4
Old 09-04-2015, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have had the Wevo in my 1973 911 for 6 years and love it. Huge difference from stock. I am sure the Stomski and Renn are good as well.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 09-04-2015, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The Wevo coupler is great. I assume the Stomski is as well, but I don't have first hand experience with it.

However, if price matters and you have the tools., skills, and inclination to change the bushings, I recommend trying a set of the 10-15 dollar circular centered bushings before jumping for one of the u-joint couplers.

I started with circular centered bushings, but decided to try a Wevo PSJ anyway.

I could detect no additional benefit from the PSJ, and I ended up going back to the enhanced factory coupler.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Can anyone ID this coupler for me? I picked up some bass bushings from our host but its clear to me work is going to be needed to make then fit into this coupler.
It looks to be billet but the machine work looks a little unfinished on the inside....

'73 914 1.7 Webers & Header ... sold
'74 VW 1303S 1600cc DP Web 110 & Solex

Last edited by Das Schnell Ei; 09-05-2015 at 08:07 AM..
Old 09-05-2015, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
I've got brass bushings in my coupler and with the short shift and seine gate shift I think it feels as nice as my brothers car with wevo coupler and shifter. Just my .02
Old 09-05-2015, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. Just what I was looking for. What is the seine gate shift? Maybe I will just search on that.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDamen View Post
Thanks for the input. Just what I was looking for. What is the seine gate shift? Maybe I will just search on that.
Click on the link at post #7

Old 09-05-2015, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDamen View Post
The Seine gate shift kit spring loads the shifter so it's always in the 3/4 shift position. There's a gate like on the 5/R side installed for the 1/2 shift position. The spring loading takes almost all the slop out of the shifter and really helps minimize the chance of hitting the wrong gear on a downshift.
Below is a link. It's really money well spent. I fought buying it for over a year then after looking at other shifters and their cost decided to go this route. The install is really easy but you need a welder to permanently attach the tab to the shift lever.

Seine Systems > Gate Shift Kit

I'm curious, you mention you're not happy with the shift performance. What problem are you having and have you replaced your transmission mounts or inspect them? I've read that the mounts can make a BIG difference in how the car shifts.

Last edited by cabmando; 09-05-2015 at 09:57 AM..
Old 09-05-2015, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I decided to go with the JWest (Stomski) coupler (in addition to my factory short shift kit). It did improve shift accuracy, but it was not overwhelming. I'm guessing the brass bushings would do the same thing, and cost a bit less (but a lot more work to install). I've also replaced my clutch cable and my omega spring, btw. This also helped a bit. When the car came to me a couple of months ago shift crispness was mediocre. It has improved quite a bit, but I have to believe it can get better. My tranny was rebuilt less than 20K miles ago, but it doesn't have the snap that I would expect. I'm going to change the fluid this weekend, and if that doesn't get me to where I want to be I'll look into replacing the mounts.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to algs911
Shortly after purchasing my '86 I installed the Wevo shift kit and coupler. Night-and-Day difference. Anyone could drive the car now w/out having prior 915 knowledge. I had someone even question if I actually had an '86; he thought it was an '87 or newer because it shifted so well.

Worth every penny and I've not looked back since. I think it's the best upgrade I've done.

Al
Old 09-24-2015, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Schnell Ei View Post
Can anyone ID this coupler for me? I picked up some bass bushings from our host but its clear to me work is going to be needed to make then fit into this coupler.
It looks to be billet but the machine work looks a little unfinished on the inside....

Looks stock to me.. The coupler needs a little sand paper taken to it to wear down the edges then it needs tapped into place using a quarter and socket extender. I just put those bushings into mine a couple weeks ago. It's a tight fit and shaved some of the housing out when tapping it into place, but they will make it in there!!
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing bushings front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts - Ruf speelines 17x9-10
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 09-24-2015, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Forgot the pic.

'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing bushings front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts - Ruf speelines 17x9-10
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 09-24-2015, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Dial 911

Garage
Coupler

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovydude View Post
I recently replaced the bushings on my shift coupler, and then I noticed that both JWest Engineering and Wevo sell upgraded shift couplers. Has anyone tried either of these, and did it make any difference?
Hi, The "Coupler Whisperer" out of Seattle manufactures a coupler kit that is excellent, including at a very good price. He's been a track car racer for some years and that's how he came about building his own.

I have had one of his for 3 years now, and from the day that it was changed, it made such a huge improvement...Amazing actually. He had just started to sell a shifter kit -'Secret Shifter' - that was also an excellent product, but due to his wife's health, (cancer) he then put everything on hold. I do though know that he still has the kit's for the coupler. Many on this board have purchased them and found that they were excellent. If anyone is interested here, is his site:

The Secret Shifter - The Coupler Whisperer

If anyone wants to make a search on the board there is a good thread on the product. If I remember right, I believe that his name is ED Mitchell?...A super nice guy

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by A horse with no name; 09-24-2015 at 05:47 PM..
Old 09-24-2015, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: