Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to RocketWrench

Old 02-04-2016, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #221 (permalink)

Garage
Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #222 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
great project, I like everything your doing to your car, think it will look stunning when done
1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 02-04-2016, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #223 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr View Post
great project, I like everything your doing to your car, think it will look stunning when done
Thanks. Its taking longer than I hoped, but it's getting there.

Attention to detail takes time....
Old 02-05-2016, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #224 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketWrench View Post
Attention to detail takes time....
This is exactly why I like it

Lots of people think they have attention to detail but very few actually do, you sir in my eyes have it!
1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #225 (permalink)

Garage
I have a Carrera 3.0, which some day will be put back to its original guise, oak green. You've just showed me the perfect upholstery. Thanks.

Absolutely fabulous execution, and attention to detail.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 02-05-2016, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #226 (permalink)

Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
The seating alone is a work of art. Great project and great execution (but not in a lethal sense).
Old 02-06-2016, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #227 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the compliments, but the real skill is in the hands of Greg and Glenn at Awesome Upholstery. It has been a work in progress and the lads really have worked hard to make my vision a reality, and occasionally given my ideas a sanity check.

They truly are masters of their art...
Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #228 (permalink)
Registered

Wow amazing work!!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #229 (permalink)
Registered

Beautiful project you've got going, can't wait to see how it comes together! What model Recaros are those?
Old 02-06-2016, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #230 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vick View Post
Beautiful project you've got going, can't wait to see how it comes together! What model Recaros are those?

They are Recaro Rallye 3's. Apparently quite rare, so if you see anymore anywhere, I'll have them.

recaro rallye 3 seats
Old 02-07-2016, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #231 (permalink)

Garage
More of Greg's craftsmanship has been completed...

Old 02-12-2016, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #232 (permalink)

Garage
The only other significant thing was most of the inside has been soundproofed prior to putting in extra soundproofing at significant points.

So its all going well, and the next stage will be headlining, carpets, rear-seat-delete, audio and fitting of the seats....

Quite a lot really...
Old 02-12-2016, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #233 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

The method of laying down a single layer of CLD all over the panels is old-fashioned. You can achieve greater sound deadening for the same weight, or equal deadening for less weight by employing three layers of materials:

Interior sound deadening, noise reduction, and thermal insulation

Apparently the difference is quite dramatic, but I can't comment personally (yet).

Did you pull up the old half-ovals of sound deadening (underneath which is a neat hexagonal pattern)?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #234 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
The method of laying down a single layer of CLD all over the panels is old-fashioned. You can achieve greater sound deadening for the same weight, or equal deadening for less weight by employing three layers of materials:

Interior sound deadening, noise reduction, and thermal insulation

Apparently the difference is quite dramatic, but I can't comment personally (yet).

Did you pull up the old half-ovals of sound deadening (underneath which is a neat hexagonal pattern)?

Im not sure where you mean? The black layer is only the first...
Old 02-12-2016, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #235 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Ah, understood. In that case, I think you would get away with 50% coverage instead of 100% coverage and obtain the same performance.

100% coverage of CLD has no downside vs 50%, but it would add more weight for no great reason.

In any event, please document the next bit! I'm still in the middle of this job with my car, and I'm very interested to see how to get everything in and still have it be removable, get into nooks and crannies, how many layers provide diminishing returns in the "problem" ares of the engine and wheel well, etc...
Old 02-12-2016, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #236 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Ah, understood. In that case, I think you would get away with 50% coverage instead of 100% coverage and obtain the same performance.

100% coverage of CLD has no downside vs 50%, but it would add more weight for no great reason.

In any event, please document the next bit! I'm still in the middle of this job with my car, and I'm very interested to see how to get everything in and still have it be removable, get into nooks and crannies, how many layers provide diminishing returns in the "problem" ares of the engine and wheel well, etc...
I will. The next step to to replace the horsehair that was underneath the rear windows with some deadening foam, then place some dynamat on the noisy/problem areas of the doors, engine bulkhead and wheel wells. The inside of the frunk is also going to be lined with the black soundproofing, if anything to make it look better and possible hide the old ice green colour.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #237 (permalink)
Registered

The ratio of surface area of CLD to panel area isn't fixed. It depends on the mass of the material, the stiffness of the panel and a whole host of other factors. Bottom line, since nobody is actually testing any of this on a 911 shell, it's all just an educated guess. Or just a wild-ass guess...

JR
Old 02-12-2016, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #238 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
The ratio of surface area of CLD to panel area isn't fixed. It depends on the mass of the material, the stiffness of the panel and a whole host of other factors. Bottom line, since nobody is actually testing any of this on a 911 shell, it's all just an educated guess. Or just a wild-ass guess...

JR
Im working off a wild-ass guess, and the way I see it the addition of soundproofing inside the headlining, on the engine bulkhead, floors, doors, frunk, and new carpets, door cards, headlining, new seals in all the glass and doors etc will improve the sound quality no end!!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #239 (permalink)

Garage
More seat updates. Firstly they were put back in the car and I sat in the driving position as various pieces of foam were put under thighs and another piece scooped out from under my ass:

Greg then shaped the foam perfectly and sent me this picture today of the nearly finished seats:

The blood pressure cuff valves lead to the lumbar support. The seats just need some press studs on the sides to tension the leather sides.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #240 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: