Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Eng-o-neer

People really seem to like the Wevos. I have one, but I haven't driven a stock 915 in a decade, so I can't compare.

One thing worth noting is that the knob is attached in a proprietary manner, such that you can only buy knobs from Wevo (or the person on Pelican who makes 917 balsa wood spheres that fit). This is, of course, of no consequence for someone who is willing to modify the shaft.

In terms of looks, I see no real difference over painting the base black and putting carpet over some of it.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #381 (permalink)
Registered

Depends on the Wevo, the one I have used the Momo knob I had on my stock 915 shifter, no problem.

Having driven the car before and after I have to say this is definitely a why the hell didn't I do this sooner mod.
enjoyed and passed along:
1990 964 C2, 2007 C4S Cabriolet, 1997 986, 1958 356 A
Old 04-20-2016, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #382 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to RocketWrench
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Depends on the Wevo, the one I have used the Momo knob I had on my stock 915 shifter, no problem.

Having driven the car before and after I have to say this is definitely a why the hell didn't I do this sooner mod.
The car currently has the OEM short shift kit installed and my only complaint is that under the rubber bog plunger gaiter it looks ugly and unrefined. As far as performance goes it's a question of if it ain't broke....

But, I'm disabled (well, less abled) and it's not going to improve so shortening the throw some more wouldn't hurt...
Old 04-20-2016, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #383 (permalink)
Registered

Original shaft is 14.31mm diameter, Wevo classic is 14mm. An original knob can be installed with the original crush sleeve. The Wevo knob is installed just like the 962 was, with a top allen screw. I don't have a Wevo insert on a knob photo available, you can see the Rennshift insert, they look the same, different screw size.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #384 (permalink)
Registered

Look at rennshifter- Wevo uses stock housing so if tatty not nice
RennShift Performance Shifter - JWest Engineering
I have had both!
See previous post on naked shifter- get knob from manuel [mcv1954] - he'll make you a fab one to match...............
C
Old 04-20-2016, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #385 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcv1954 View Post
Original shaft is 14.31mm diameter, Wevo classic is 14mm. An original knob can be installed with the original crush sleeve. The Wevo knob is installed just like the 962 was, with a top allen screw. I don't have a Wevo insert on a knob photo available, you can see the Rennshift insert, they look the same, different screw size.

As ever, your craftsmanship is excellent.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #386 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglophone1 View Post
Look at rennshifter- Wevo uses stock housing so if tatty not nice
RennShift Performance Shifter - JWest Engineering
I have had both!
See previous post on naked shifter- get knob from manuel [mcv1954] - he'll make you a fab one to match...............
C
The RennShift is a better price too. Do you know anywhere that has them this side of the water, and if not, how much did you pay in shipping?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #387 (permalink)
Registered

We did a group buy on DDK.
I have a friend in Ulster that bough direct will ask.
C
Old 04-20-2016, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #388 (permalink)

I had a Rennshift in my SC, and I put one in my 912, great product. Can't speak to Wevo.

You being a man of form AND function, there is also this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2016, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #389 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey356 View Post
I had a Rennshift in my SC, and I put one in my 912, great product. Can't speak to Wevo.

You being a man of form AND function, there is also this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow... Where can I get that?
Old 04-20-2016, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #390 (permalink)

ONASSIS PORSCHES AGENCY

I follow them on Instagram. If I recall correctly they are just starting production. Bonus-I'm pretty sure they're based in Europe.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #391 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
ONASSIS PORSCHES AGENCY

I follow them on Instagram. If I recall correctly they are just starting production. Bonus-I'm pretty sure they're based in Europe.
I looked at the website but only found a picture and not one for sale. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #392 (permalink)

I think they are just starting production...like a limited run or something...I'm not sure. Shoot them an email. They've been posting promo pics of the shifter for weeks, I'm not sure if they don't have them for sale yet because they're waiting for orders????

I just remember seeing it a while back and thinking it'd be a nice fit for your car.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #393 (permalink)
Registered

You are welcome to drive mine which has the Wevo fitted. Let me know and we can arrange

Ian
Old 04-20-2016, 11:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #394 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I think they are just starting production...like a limited run or something...I'm not sure. Shoot them an email. They've been posting promo pics of the shifter for weeks, I'm not sure if they don't have them for sale yet because they're waiting for orders????

I just remember seeing it a while back and thinking it'd be a nice fit for your car.
Micky, thanks for the thought and suggestion. I emailed Tom at Onassis and got this reply;

"Bob,
im sad, but this shifter setup is designed to work on Porsche 356 models. This
wont work on your car.
I can make a shiftknob for your application and I am thinking of developing my
shifter for some 911 transmission systems, but that's in the future, not now."

Sad face.....:-((((
Old 04-20-2016, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #395 (permalink)

Garage
This one is winning at the moment, but I'm still deciding if really need it:

Old 04-21-2016, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #396 (permalink)
Registered

I just installed a Rennshift in my SC - aside from functioning beautifully it's a work of art, actually enjoyed just having it on the work bench to look at. It'd look great in your project and they offer a variety of custom shift knobs to tailor it to your aesthetic
Old 04-21-2016, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #397 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

That looks great, but doesn't it still suffer from loose-Cheerios fears as well as plungeritis?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #398 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
That looks great, but doesn't it still suffer from loose-Cheerios fears as well as plungeritis?
Cheerios will be banned from the car! The exposed gaps look smaller and I would have it naked, but you have a point!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #399 (permalink)
Registered

See this [posted previously] for rennshift /manuel cusom shift knob installed [without horrid rubber boot] - i've yet to drop anything down it- and if i did it would just end up in the tunnel!

Old 04-21-2016, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #400 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: