Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to RocketWrench
"Scoundrel", not Outlaw...

Following much debate on my previous entry, I have decided that original restoration is just not for me:

To back-date, or not to back-date....?

I am sure that this will be slightly controversial to some of you, but there are good reasons for this. My original plan was to backdate my '76 911S, but then changed my mind and plan B was to return the car to as much originality as possible. Here is the car when I bought it in Feb 2014.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
But 18 months later, my mind has been changed, and for what I hope some of you will agree are good reasons. Firstly I don't intend to sell the car, so therefore have decided to make it exactly as I like. This may effect value, but I just can't drive around in a car that I am not 100% happy with, but console myself with 'well at least its worth £xxxxx these days'....

So, Plan C is to make a one-off having taken much inspiration from these pages, Magnus Walker and Singer.

Many people have opined these are fads that will pass - so be it. But, my plan is to make a more Englishman's 911, a Gentleman's Sports Car if you will. So the first thing to go will be the colour.... Shock-horror, but Ice Green Metallic is perfect for Hawaii or California, but less so for leafy Cambridgeshire, so I have decided on Oak Green Metallic the will turn out like this:

Old 09-08-2015, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Spiderman

Garage
That is a strong color choice, love it.!
Red 08 Impreza, wifes car sold
Grey 05 CRV, now is the daughters solution
Old 09-08-2015, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

well it be a complete Glass out down to the shell respray ?

Any idea what that will run you ?
2014 Nissan Murano (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 09-08-2015, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I just want to address the name of this thread: Some people might describe what I am doing as an 'Outlaw', but that term just didn't seem to fit for my project. Seeing as I sport a handlebar moustache, own a miniature Schnauzer, am a military history PhD student and love everything from what Mrs Wrench calls 'the olden days' I thought 'Scoundrel' would be a better moniker.

Now that the decision has been made, Mrs Wrench and I stripped the car out to save money on paint-prep fees, and there were more than a few rude words said during this process...
Old 09-08-2015, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse16 View Post
That is a strong color choice, love it.!
Thanks! Original for the period, but close enough to British Racing Green to suit the landscape....
Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theiceman View Post

Bare metal... A few thousand £££s, but who cares?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Just having a few internet issues, will update with more pics shortly....
Old 09-08-2015, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Nice color choice. Nothing wrong with making a 911 all yours
Old 09-08-2015, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2015, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I really, really, really like that color!!
Old 09-08-2015, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I like it, but then I am rather partial to green over tan. Make it your own on enjoy it.

2006 Forester STI, 1992 BMW 325 Cab S52 M3, 1952 MG TD with F20C
Old 09-08-2015, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
web geek

Garage
Send a message via AIM to emptyo Send a message via Yahoo to emptyo
Yea, that green is growing on me. Nice tan or saddle brown interior, and yum.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theiceman View Post

The paint shop are doing me this a favour as I am in no hurry and they are doing parts in between their normal accident-repair type stuff. The deal was I have to strip it out beforehand and they fit it in when they can, and I reassemble. But as its off to the trimmers afterwards it works out ok.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyo View Post
Yea, that green is growing on me. Nice tan or saddle brown interior, and yum.
The interior colour has been a process too. Here is the original tombstone seats:

Then, with Singer in mind I bought these Recarro Rallye 3 seats in black:

Then I got howls of derision from the original thread and I looked at multiple ofther seats a bought a pair of Boxter seats off eBay, which after modification were fitted...

Old 09-09-2015, 02:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
BUT, nothing is simple with me, and after 300 military parachute jumps and four tours of Afghanistan I am slightly broken. I have a torn disc and a bursting disc in my back and both my hips are impinged, so the Recarros are going back as the only seats that were comfortable enough.

The seat issue became part of the decision making process, so if the seats need retrimming, then I might as well do the lot which is what is happening. The seats will be trimmed with the rest of the interior in this colour:

The seat backs will be resprayed in black. The dashboard (which was a right effort to extract) will be retrimmed in black, so essentially the dashline and sills will be in black, with all below in that darkish brown. My thoughts were that I wanted the interior to resemble the furnishings in Blenhiem Palace, or a London gentleman's club.

The trim is being done by these guys: Awesome 01480 461195, Custom Re-upholstery Service, VW Interiors, Classic Cars, Campervan Upholstery, Motor Home, Motorsport Seating, Caravan Interiors, Boat Re-upholstery, Aircraft Re-upholstery, Bus Re-upholstery, Fabrics, Sundries, Bespoke Project

Last edited by RocketWrench; 09-09-2015 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2015, 02:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
When I started originally, I wanted everything to be period, so installed a Becker radio which had been refurbished.

Whilst it was iPod ready, the sound is awful and I am deaf in both ears. So once the paint guys are done I will replace the whole lot with a new sound system, with a Retrosound stereo, new speakers, Bluetooth and Amp in the smugglers box.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
The AC was ripped out months ago, as it was rubbish, and I bought two knee pads from a fellow Pelican. But having had them inside for a few months now, my eye is always drawn to the broken line between the knee pad and the ashtray. I had though of keeping the ashtray and installing my phone charge points and USB hubs, but in the end I bought an old single knee pad, so the bottom dashline will be seamless.

Once I saw the blip, I just could not un-see it...

Last edited by RocketWrench; 09-09-2015 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 09-09-2015, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I am conflicted about what to do with the old parts - I have seats, carpets, 60s Becker Radio, the exterior skirt trim and chrome on the wheel arches will not be going back, so I am thinking of selling the lot. I realise that Plans A and B included the option to return to original, but I am running out of space, so will most likely burn my bridges and commit completely to resto-modding.

It is the 2.7S, so not a race winner, and not planned for concourse - I just want it to be unique and exactly as perfect as my tastes make it. Anyone interested in some parts? I also have an AC sitting in my garage and sugar-scoop lights...

Last edited by RocketWrench; 10-05-2015 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 09-09-2015, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
The huge rear bumper-things will be gone and I am planning on copying Kiwiokie's recessed bumper thing, but might need some more advice:

Overdue intro and SC hotrod project

I also broke the rear reflector when taking it off, so was thinking about replacing it with a plain red one, but adding the Porsche font in negative, like this:

The flag mirror will also be replaced with Durant type mirrors...
Old 09-09-2015, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: