Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Runnin on empty

Garage
Read through the Infinity instruction manual regarding placement:
Environment not to exceed 185 degrees Fahrenheit.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

I am not too familiar with EFI so with out getting into a pissing contest, can you point out the big difference (pro's and con's) between your kit and the one offered by Bitz Racing?
Old 10-10-2015, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

onboost:
Shoot me a PM or email Andrew@rasantproducts.com for pricing. We're offering a special price for the first batch of customers.

A TWM ITB and twin plug setup is very feasible. It's a project that's in the works now actually. I'd love to make a turbo kit as well. Boost control with the Infinity ECU would be convenient.

Our kit provides all the sensors. It could be configured to run with something like an EDIS setup too.

RStop:
I could send a couple coil options for you to try? I have two different lengths of the same Bosch coil.

Agreed on the ITB setup, I believe it could be an identical harness.

As Andy said, it's 185. Mine is mounted behind the passenger seat. It's a nice discrete location.

ivanuf:
I certainly don't want to discredit another Pelican's work. The big difference is that this includes coil on plug ignition and a newer ECU. If you're interested shoot me a PM for pricing.

Thanks all!
Old 10-10-2015, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
ivanuf,

The Bitz kit uses an older version of Megasquirt. Its batch fire, and a very basic fuel injection. Megasquirt has proven to be reliable and lots of people are running it. I was going to go with a Megaquirt Pro until I found out about the Infinity system as the 8h and 6 are only a couple hundred more $.

With that said, the Infinity ECU was engineered as an OEM grade ECU and is incredibly powerful with a list of features found on the most high end ECUs. The engine protection strategies, built in wide band controller, knock retard, E85 auto sensing and mixture control along with very effective traction control really make it a good value.

See this for specifics:
Infinity-6/8h | AEM

Not sure if its changed in the last couple months, but some of the advanced features like traction control were being included free(they stated for a limited time).

BTW, while at the training, the guys were telling me that you can integrate a bolt on OEM knock sensor that is supposed to be very effective. You can setup the system to instantly pull timing if any knock occurs. The system supports 2 knock sensors and knock windowing which makes the system very effective. I wonder how it would work with one on each head..?

Last edited by David Borden; 10-11-2015 at 10:41 AM..
Old 10-11-2015, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

How would traction control work on these old cars? Install a sensor on each wheel?
Old 10-11-2015, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Capitalist and Patriot

Re: adding knock sensors to 2.7-3.2l motors
I'm sure there is a way to attach the knock sensor rails on each cylinder bank under the engine shroud, just like the 964/993s have. Easily drill and tap the mount holes if they aren't already there.

PM sent for pricing
Old 10-11-2015, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
How would traction control work on these old cars? Install a sensor on each wheel?
On MegaSquirt, you use a traction control TPS that cuts signal to ECU making ECU think you cut throttle - in an overly simplistic explanation.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

But how do you know when to tell the ECU to cut? I guess that's off the topic of the ECU...
Old 10-11-2015, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
But how do you know when to tell the ECU to cut? I guess that's off the topic of the ECU...
You can do traction control without wheel speed sensors. Some of them are based on vehicle speed / time. Basically it knows how fast it can realistically accelerate, so if the acceleration exceeds that limit it must be wheel slip. Not as good as wheel speed sensors, but it does work.
Ducati 748R
Old 10-11-2015, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Correct, you would install sensors on hubs, rotors or CV joints. The Infinity system will cut fuel to cylinders(does not make the car run lean), you can cut and or retard spark as well. If you have TBW, then it can adjust the throttle position as well to limit wheel speed. You can use singly, or any combination of each, all programmed separately.

The Infinity 6 and 8h offer 2 wheel traction control(one sensor on a front and one on the rear wheel/CV joint). The Infinity 8 has 4 wheel traction control. They have options for both analog and digital inputs.

The system compares the ground wheel speed with driven wheel speed and allows you to choose any differential via a rotary switch real time.

Last edited by David Borden; 10-11-2015 at 07:19 PM..
Old 10-11-2015, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered

Great information David!

We at Rasant Products are working on some exciting expansions for our engines. Stay tuned.

Also, if you're heading to the Pelican Parts Cars and Coffee this Saturday, October 17th, I will be there with the car on the first page of this thread. Looking forward to showing the product!
Old 10-15-2015, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Brap

Garage
Very cool, I hope y'all take lots of pictures for the rest of us. (I don't think it makes sense in my application right now, but I think it's really neat.)
2009 Street Triple
Old 10-16-2015, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
yep, im slow in the head

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to carslutt
nice product, the AEM ecu's are getting better and better. also looks like you chose some good parts to go with the ecu.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I subscribed to the thread. My CIS is still in excellent condition, but I suspect I'll be ordering a kit at the first sign of an expensive repair.
'77 911s - Peru red IROC Clone
'89 964 C4 - Guards red
Old 10-16-2015, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the feedback all! Will post pictures from the event.

Looking forward to the Pelican Cars and Coffee!
Old 10-16-2015, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Subscribed... Cost? Works on 88 turbo?
Old 10-16-2015, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Registered

Hi all! Great turnout at the Pelican Cars and Coffee last week. Nice to meet fellow Pelican members. Wayne's team did a great job setting up the event!

The engine management kit received really positive feedback. I believe I've answered everyone's PM's and emails. If you still have questions or are interested in a kit please send me an email directly at Andrew@rasantproducts.com

Thought you would all enjoy some photos!

Old 10-26-2015, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered

Andy, your kit is getting close! Sure you'll be happy with it.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Registered

Looking good Andrew.

regards,
al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 11-07-2015, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

Hi fcxhgh, very confident in this type of engine pickup. It's easy to verify with a timing light and a spark plug wire extension. The position module is tried and true on many engine applications.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: