Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 2.30 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Administrator

Building a better Black Beauty #2: The Donor

If you knew what went in to a good piece of sausage, you'd probably be a vegetarian. I say that as a way to warn sensitive early-car fans about the contents of this post.

There's about to be a big sacrifice made, and -- by the pictures, at least -- it looks pretty cruel.

Here's the first spy shot of the new base platform for Black Beauty -- a rust-free, straight 911T non-sunroof coupe.

(Click on any of the pictures for a bigger version.)

Getting closer...

And closer...

It's like a happy young dog on the way to the vet, with no idea what's in store for it.

I joke about it in part because I do feel badly. This is too beautiful a car to chop up as a donor, but that's what I'm doing. It just amazes me that in Southern California it's so easy to find a good solid tub like this.

Of course, what the pictures don't show is that it's got a gutted interior, no seals, a sketchy repaint, and doesn't have either an engine or a transmission. It's not a collectible model, at all. But as I said, it still pains me to cut an early car up.

But as a chassis donor, it will allow me to rebuild my car without having to worry about the ongoing safety issues that come with chopping and welding two half-chassis pieces together, or straightening a bent tub and crossing your fingers that the car stays as straight (and as strong) as it originally was.

I'm going to update Pelican on the progress of the project as it proceeds, because -- in large part, it's a Pelican project. The (considerable) mechanical work will be done by TRE Motorsports (home of Pelicanites TRE Cup and Tyson Schmidt). The fiberglass and carbon fiber body will come from Rennspeed Motorsports. The paint and body work will be done by (Pelicanite) Kevin at Automotive Innovations and Restoration.

Budget? Don't ask. I'm working to keep it as low as I possibly can, for the sake of my sanity. I'm going to try and also incorporate a few improvements, so that the whole expense isn't merely to undo one very bad moment at Laguna Seca.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Jack,

I think you got the right idea. I take it that this car will "be" the car to recieve BBs' vital organs. So in reality BB is the donor after a fatal collision?

Are you going to go with black again? It might be a good time to go with a color that doesn't require the use of A/C. Grand Prix White makes a lot of sense but is indeed boring unless spiced up with Carrera scripts. Even then it is somewhat overdone in my opinion. Maybe Grand Prix White with RGruppe script might be the ticket. Or what heck keep it silver. Might I suggest Smoke Silver (Mercedes color) Whatever you go with I'm sure it will be stunning.

Enjoy
Bobby
72' Coupe 2.7
72' Targa/Roadster Project 2.8MFI

P.S. 72' Wise choice. You got a chassis with the tank you wanted already installed.

Last edited by Bobboloo; 11-27-2002 at 10:37 PM..
Old 11-27-2002, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Go for it Jack. Can't wait to follow the progress. What kind of timetable are you looking at for completion? What will you do with BB's remains?
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Nice cold AC and fresh top end
Old 11-27-2002, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to smestas Send a message via Yahoo to smestas
Unga Chunga Unga Chunga Unga Chunga ............

Prepare the Sacrafice!!
Old 11-27-2002, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

With one strike of the dagger, err saws-all, the Porsche Gods will be satisfied for another 911 years.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

so you're saying the old tub's a right off?

doesn't look that bad?

if the repair is done properly, there shouldn't be issues with alignment and strength.

you've obviously done your homework, i'm just surprised.

can't wait to see the progress. the plan sounds ambitious and expensive - the writing profession pays well thats for sure

good luck

'86 coupe

"there you are"
Old 11-27-2002, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I am sure Jack has his reason's for getting a new tub.. I am sure the cost of repairs to the B.B.#1 would NOT have been cheap and for the cost he can score a great SUNROOF-LESS.. & SIDE mounted oil filler Tub(which is very cool) for B.B.#2. which will be lighter that B.B.#1 which means she will be even nastier than before!! and he can start all the swapping and what have you NOW not after the repairs to B.B.#1 are done and she may never be 100% after a shunt like he had.. Jack.. your like a EVIL SCIENTIST! I can't wait to see what you come up with.. The waiting is killing me i love to see projects to being.. PLEASE don't let us miss a thing!!
Thanks

Eric Mckenna
78SC

" The reason the Irish are always fightin one another is that there are no other worthy opponents ".

Last edited by Eric Mckenna; 11-27-2002 at 11:39 PM..
Old 11-27-2002, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Buy them, sell them

Garage
Thumbs up

Jack,

It looks like a good starting point. Keep us updated, as this is one project I'm very keen to watch. You're going with RSR flares, right?

Maybe you could have a jumble sale of all the parts off BB (and the donor) that you don't need. I'm sure the Pelican crowd would clear that out pretty quickly.

If it's not going to spoil the surprise, give us an insight as to what to expect with this new car; what's planned?
2012 Mercedes-Benz C250 AMG
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Old 11-27-2002, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Jack, how long will all this take?

Sounds like -- no, it has to be -- a massive undertaking. And from where are you getting the body pieces (flares, etc)?
Old 11-27-2002, 11:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
The next black beauty will be a 72?!

Awesome!
Old 11-28-2002, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
If you did go for white I've always thought it'd be great done in the early 917 colours.

Maybe I'll do it one day.

That said, the gulf colours are great too.
flickr
Old 11-28-2002, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanks. The schedule is still being worked out. The color is going to be black. I briefly thought about the silver... but black is what it's going to be. Black Beauty wouldn't look right in another color.

Other than that, it's going to be pretty much the same, just with more meat (RSR flares, 275/315 tires), slightly imroved suspension, and the 72 oil tank setup (since it moves weight forward), And the car will be lighter overall -- with fiberglass all around, we're shooting for 2200 pounds.

And yes, Adam, the parts I don't need are going to go up on the block -- as soon as I get around to taking pictures of everything. Lots of good stuff on the 72 tub, as well as parts I've collected along the way.

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 11-28-2002 at 12:43 AM..
Old 11-28-2002, 12:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 82SC
sounds like fun

look forward to the updates and seeing BB next to my signal orange targa up at kevin's

Let me know if you are gonna get rid of interior pieces...hmmm and your bumper looks nice and clean...and has fogs cut outs already...that or the 911S...hmmm

MJ
Old 11-28-2002, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
"It's like a happy young dog on the way to the vet, ..."

ROFL! It does look happy up there, wind in its face and all. -- Curt
Old 11-28-2002, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Another Porsche is put down.

Ugh, the sight of a scalpel!
Nope, I'll pop back in when it's all done.
Old 11-28-2002, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam Chaplin

Maybe you could have a jumble sale of all the parts off BB (and the donor) that you don't need. I'm sure the Pelican crowd would clear that out pretty quickly.
Say, are those 15" fuch wheels? My 911E is riding on 14" wheels now...
07 Nissan Xterra Off Road
71 C10 Chevy Pickup
Old 11-28-2002, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Well, if we're all going to start begging .... I want the chrome horn grills! -- Curt
Old 11-28-2002, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
C'mon Jack, come clean....you're really Dean Koontz aren't you? Ok, I might also believe John Grisham.

Whoever you are...congrats on this undertaking. The worst is behind you now and you've clearly got your eye on the prize.

Can't wait to see the results.
89 Carrera 3.6 V-ram #94
Livin' for Targa time!

Want to make God laugh?
Tell him your plans!
Old 11-28-2002, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

the vultures are circling.......

'86 coupe

"there you are"
Old 11-28-2002, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I prefer to say your rescueing that old car by giving it new life! My "911" was once a badly rusted 912 with a blown motor, the PO cut away the rusted quarters and replaced them with fiberglass SC flares, fiberglass front fenders, fiberglass RSR narrow spoiler and fiberglass rear bumper, updated the suspension, brakes and interior then installed a 2.0 out of a totalled 69 911E with 71T carbs and 71 901 trans. Then I got it and I installed a 3.0SC engine from a totaled targa and popped larger venturis in the carbs for that "period" look as well as better performance. All in all parts of 3 911's live on in the remaking of my 912 and while it's not a beauty with it's scratched and nicked 10 year old paint job (hope to fix that this winter) it sure has the spirit of those cars just more powerful and lighter (@2200lbs) Anyway good luck with the project Jack, I look forward to following your progress and maybe using a few of your ideas for my next rescue job, a '79 targa with an aftermarket widebody and turbo suspension/brakes, in fact dare I say that I'm considering a hardtop instead of the targa top! Which reminds me, if you cut up the old chassis let me know as I might want the ROOF I like to call it the "Porsche Parts Preservation Project", that T body will think it found nirvana with 3.6 power and the other improvements you've got in store for it.
1986 Ford F350 Crew Cab 7.3 IDI diesel, Banks Sidewinder turbo, ZF5 5spd, 4WD Dana 60 king pin front, DRW, pintle hook and receiver hitch, all steel flat bed with gooseneck hidden hitch. Awesome towing capacity!
Old 11-28-2002, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: