Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
^ OMG!

Well considering

I wrote every line of code in the whole system,

That explains just about everything....

I think I know how it is implemented thanks and it isn't as you describe. Spare the lecture.

This 'lead designer' thing is really irritating me. He's implying that I had nothing to do with the design. This is based on one comment I made months ago where I said we had consulted a power supply company for the high voltage section of the circuit. We didn't design the chips on the board either, so shoot us!

When you deal with us, you are dealing with actual engineers that designed the hardware, firmware, software. No smoke, no mirrors.

Dyno report is on its way people. Hang in there.
How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb...?

Unknowable....
Old 03-16-2016, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Well I'm sorry to say that the Pelican 911 Technical Forum may have jumped the shark.

We have sociopaths and people with hidden agendas taking over threads.

Who would want to come here and discuss anything new and different? I wouldn't if I had built something.

I have a suggestion. I frequent a sports forum where they have a system to rate posts. If Pelican implemented something like that it would be easy to separate the wheat from the chaff around here.

I honestly can't believe we're discussing the merits of firmware in 2016...

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
yup, I feel I'm in the twilight zone

I guess topics around CDI, chipping or A/C inadvertently go on a downhill slope after page 2 once the usual suspects pick up the scent. Sad for the OP except it keeps the thread on page 1.

@Jonny: don't give up. There'll always be noise and riff-raff on a BBS but it's your attitude and entrepreneurship that makes these reads worthwhile. If we all just ignore the armchair engineers (as difficult as that is sometimes) they'll maybe go away eventually. Some even got banned here before only to come back under a new nickname, that's how far out in left field they are (hey Loren... )

Ingo

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 03-16-2016, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischmitz View Post
yup, I feel I'm in the twilight zone

I guess topics around CDI, chipping or A/C inadvertently go on a downhill slope after page 2 once the usual suspects pick up the scent. Sad for the OP except it keeps the thread on page 1.

@Jonny: don't give up. There'll always be noise and riff-raff on a BBS but it's your attitude and entrepreneurship that makes these reads worthwhile. If we all just ignore the armchair engineers (as difficult as that is sometimes) they'll maybe go away eventually. Some even got banned here before only to come back under a new nickname, that's how far out in left field they are (hey Loren... )

Ingo
wwest and loren the same person? two sides of the same personality?
Old 03-16-2016, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

I'm not a boasty guy, but if someone throws stones I will defend myself.

My main company designs real time software and electronics for the aerospace, defence, medical and industrial automation sectors.

We regularly design systems to the following standards:

DO-178B/C
IEC 61508
IEC 60601

Have a Google on those.

I would like to think this somewhat qualifies me to get some sparks out of a box on time and in the right order!

Neil Bainbridge has collated all the dyno data now but it's late here so I'll post them up tomorrow.

Last edited by Jonny H; 03-16-2016 at 03:03 PM..
Old 03-16-2016, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Jonny H - don't let the troll get you down. I've done business with you and your company - the product, service and communication is/has been top shelf.
Very best, rh
Old 03-16-2016, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

You gottta figure out a way to piss him off.
Quote:
And he won't see this cause I'm on his ignore list
Old 03-16-2016, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-l View Post
You gottta figure out a way to piss him off.
And he won't see this cause I'm on his ignore list
afaik he will see it if someone quotes your post?

...oops
Old 03-16-2016, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Mothy
Jonny

If you are looking for improvement ideas, one aspect of your box could be of great assistance to people with older cars who want to capture information for their lap timing/data loggers.

Many lap timers and data loggers have the ability to take an input from a car via an OBDII interface to capture things like RPM, throttle position, brake force etc.

In my case, I have an '83SC so no OBDII port as the car predates that technology but would love it if your box had a OBDII compliant port from which I could take the live RPM values in real time.

Tim
Old 03-16-2016, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Kinda strange, i.e. attack the thread & OP in post #77:

Quote:
We should start a periodic thread about chipping an air conditioner with oil additives to improve multiple spark Kettering ignition systems with optical coils....
And now this:

Quote:
@Jonny: don't give up. There'll always be noise and riff-raff on a BBS but it's your attitude and entrepreneurship that makes these reads worthwhile.
Must just be that time of the month for some.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
Really Loren - are you THAT dense?!

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 03-16-2016, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ashlock View Post
+1 on ischmitz and mysocal911 .... software looking for a way to insert itself into every problem of life. And then take on a life of its own by constantly vacuuming in updates.... oooops, sorry for my little spasm ... I can pound out the code, but in my heart I will always be a hardware guy ... ha ha
Yes Bob, you read ischmitz as I did, but now he's got another outlook. Strange isn't it?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

This looks like a really great product! How does it ignore mechanical and vacuum advance from the distributor ?

1994 RHD E31 850 CSi
Old 03-17-2016, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaman View Post
This looks like a really great product! How does it ignore mechanical and vacuum advance from the distributor ?
See page 25 of our technical manual for "Overlay" and "Full Control" modes:

http://www.classicretrofit.com/products/911-CDI+/Classic%20Retrofit%20CDI+%20Manual.pdf
Old 03-17-2016, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

A full report will be available shortly but here are the highlights from our CDI+ testing with Neil Bainbridge at BS Motorsport:

This is a back to back test of our basic CDI+ vs the Bosch unit with no timing adjustments made. Still running from the distributor weights and springs.

Test Facility: Balanced engine test cell.

see here for details: BS Motorsport

Engine under test: Fresh build, run in, 2.4T, hi compression pistons, S cams, PMO carbs.

Full RPM power run,

Bosch vs CDI+. (CDI+ plots in bold).

Up to 4500 run, 100 RPM/sec

Bosch vs CDI+. (CDI+ plots in bold).

Last edited by Jonny H; 03-17-2016 at 04:15 AM..
Old 03-17-2016, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysocal911 View Post
Kinda strange, i.e. attack the thread & OP in post #77:
No... He is clearly attacking troll-master wwest with that comment. Hence reference to A/C, soap boxes, and no friends...

Some individuals here maybe have trouble securing an audience in real live, hence they get their soap boxes out on the internet every time there's a chance spewing their wisdom.

We should start a periodic thread about chipping an air conditioner with oil additives to improve multiple spark Kettering ignition systems with optical coils....
1988 911 (5 speed) - Silver/ Burgundy
1986 930 (4 Speed) - Oak Green Metallic / Cork (Wish list! )
Old 03-17-2016, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothy View Post
Jonny

If you are looking for improvement ideas, one aspect of your box could be of great assistance to people with older cars who want to capture information for their lap timing/data loggers.

Many lap timers and data loggers have the ability to take an input from a car via an OBDII interface to capture things like RPM, throttle position, brake force etc.

In my case, I have an '83SC so no OBDII port as the car predates that technology but would love it if your box had a OBDII compliant port from which I could take the live RPM values in real time.

Tim
I like this idea.

In a similar vein, it would be great to have the ability to incorporate a wideband O2 sensor with a narrowband output that is compatible with the Bosch K Jetronic ECU. Jim Williams noted once that the Bosch ECU does not react well to most aftermarket a wideband solutions.

Having the ability to log AFR and plot against timing and RPM would be fantastic.

And rather than having a physical gauge, I'd like to see a smartphone app that connects to the unit via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
See page 25 of our technical manual for "Overlay" and "Full Control" modes:

http://www.classicretrofit.com/products/911-CDI+/Classic%20Retrofit%20CDI+%20Manual.pdf
Very clever !! Full control mode would be my prefered option. Do you need to verify actual TDC (zero degrees) as a reference for the cdi unit ?

1994 RHD E31 850 CSi
Old 03-17-2016, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaman View Post
Very clever !! Full control mode would be my prefered option. Do you need to verify actual TDC (zero degrees) as a reference for the cdi unit ?
No special procedure, you just time the car as would normally with a strobe light.

I run 'full control' on my green SC. For the SC/Turbo distributor, we supply a locking collet (page 29 of manual) - you don't even need to take the distributor out.

We are trying to figure out how to do the same on the early distributors. Bit more fiddly as they have a circlip instead of a screw.

No comments on the plots yet guys??

Last edited by Jonny H; 03-17-2016 at 05:58 AM..
Old 03-17-2016, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
wwest and loren the same person? two sides of the same personality?
Loren is "mysocal911" to my knowledge and he will tell you that the 50 year old CDI design is enough for the 911 and higher tech new newfangled stuff is just junk.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 03-17-2016, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: