Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 2.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Has your 911 become a garage trophy that you never drive?

Someone posted this on a subforum and thought it might be an interesting topic.

Quote:
Not sure if selling it yet. Thinking about a more practical weekend car.

Something my wife would go away in without worrying. I may just get another weekend car for long trips. Looking at older S2000s. They are cheap and may be a good alternative to selling the 911.

Something I could park outside a few days without worrying.
Worry. It may sound like you've bought a car you're afraid to use, for a variety of reasons. Maybe you don't want to ruin a piece of history. Maybe you don't trust of 30 year old reliability, or needing a niche mechanic on a long trip. Maybe you own a low mileage cream puff, and each mile driven is going to cost you. Maybe you're fearful of a high dollar repair? Can one address these worries? Or is your 911's fait accompli to be a trophy sculpture? When does it make sense to sell it?

Not parking outside. If that prevents you from driving it, maybe it's something to consider. After all, you bought the car to drive, not store, right? As a "Fear Factor" exercise, why not just park your 911 outside for a few days? Sometimes, I also need to remind myself my car is not made of paper mache, it's made of galvanized steel.

Is the car sorted out? Owning a car you don't "trust" is not a good feeling. I think part of this is just sorting it out, but another facet is simply logging miles and getting used to the car, like the psychology of a reliable old shoe. For limited use weekend cars, that old shoe feeling may never arrive. I have driven my 911 about 5000 miles, and I'm not yet fully at ease when I drive it, like I am with my DD that I've logged 30k miles on. For my DD, I just turn the key and go, and never think about stuff. In my 911, I sometimes may consider the DME, the questionable space saver spare, the dash wires lighting on fire (yea, I did the fuse), prospects of rain, etc. This might be a negative by-product of spending too much time on Pelican.

As 2014 buyers, we were forced to view the car through a different lens than the P-car veterans here. Clean the car with a diaper. Everything stock. No driving in rain. No parking outdoors. The slippery slope of concours anal retentiveness creeps. Maybe we got in at the wrong time, after these cars had begun to morph into scarce collector's items, and not common track rat cars. I wonder if even 5 years ago, the 911 had a more "down and dirty" ethos, maybe more similar to what an old Miata is today. Cheap. Fun. Sun baked. Caution to the wind. Mod with no guilt. Crash it? Just buy another one. No one else wants 'em. Now, in a heated flipper dominated market, it could take a year to replace your car, at a reasonable price. If so, I can see how the old guard would bemoan the direction things have taken.

In his final few years of ownership, my PO barely drove the car. I declared from day one I didn't want that for myself. Garage space has opportunity cost. I made a decision after seeing the "neglected 911s" thread that if I dwindled to barely ever driving my 911, or an entire season passed without my driving it, I would sell it.

I should clarify that I am not meaning to pass judgement on those who don't drive their cars much. The satisfaction of owning an old car has many facets, and actually driving it is just one. I enjoy driving the car. But, I also enjoy cleaning my car, doing basic repairs, being a "caretaker", reading and learning more about the car, etc. Borrowing the main theme of "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", it occurred to me, even if one does not drive a car, but owning it still brings joy...then owning makes sense for that owner. We all have different ideas of what owning something should mean. The act of driving an old car is just one facet of owning an old car. Some may take great joy in maintaining it, looking at it, talking about it, preserving it, etc. without needing to drive it.

That said, I'd like to drive it more ...before I start to drive it less. Right now, probably drive it once a week. The motivation is sometimes, "I better drive the 911 (so the injectors don't clog)" I even felt that logging highway miles were a "waste" on my double digit odometer. So, I try to take back roads when I take the 911 out. But, sometimes, you're just in a hurry, or not in a mood. Every drive should not have to be an "event". That's negative overhead. One a recent drive, I said screw it, and drove all highway to and from work, because I was running late. Maybe that was a step in the right direction in logging some miles to break in these new shoes....and think less, and drive more.

Last edited by sugarwood; 01-16-2016 at 02:00 PM..
Old 01-11-2016, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Well thought out.

My car is a bit of a blessing because it had a bit of an abused life. I now get to turn it to a car that serves me, and not feel bad about it. I dont want a car i must clean with a daiper.

I am paraphrasing because someone else put it better. It goes something like this: you serve a collector car. A hot rod serves you.

Not to knock original cars. tires and a bit of suspension aside, my tii is stock and i love it. My dad was the original owner. My 911 is getting far from stock and i love it. It was an abused child before i got it. Both deserve my time.

Of interest, i also have about 5000miles in my car over 1.5 years (between winters and the rebuild i only had about six months to drive it). I feel very comfortable, yet I hold more respect for my car. It scares me more than my other cars. Part of the appeal. Mind you i have done about three track days in my car. The first was a week after i bought it. Safest place to learn. That builds comfort. When i caught the rear going out during a slalom in the rain and only missed one cone, I figured we were cool. No daiper cleaning here... Except for my own when i had the throttle stick at the end of the back straight...

But then i won't park it outdoors overnight, i park it away from the other cars in parking lots, and i will not let it see salt. I also wont tolerate less than mechanical perfection.

A guy i know sold a 69e and got a miata. Loved the miata. He felt he worried too much about the 911 mechanically. He was afraid to leave it parked as prices went up. He sold it. He made the right choice for him.
2016 Ford Focus RS

Last edited by gliding_serpent; 01-11-2016 at 06:25 PM..
Old 01-11-2016, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
Agree the air cooled 911 culture has changed dramatically in the last decade.
In the 90s a 3.6 in an old 911 at a PCA DE/TT was a nice ride.
Now they are no longer competitive and air-cooled cars at the track are no longer in vogue.

I drove my 911 to work daily and racked up 60k miles on it.
Nice secured lot with no chance of damage.
Enjoyed it daily for years.
Got a light tap on the rear bumper at a gas station once.

But the public parking lots were not kind to it.
I came out of a post office as the one and only still unblemished flair was hit by a nice old driver.
The public has no respect for cars or your property.
They care as much about your 911 as the Kia parked on the other side.
Now days my POS GMC Jimmy does just fine in parking lots.

I saw a Ferrari driver wedge his car into a tight spot at the mall.
I asked him if he was concerned about damage.
He said he didn't care as he leases a new one every year.
That's the way to go if you want to go everywhere with your sports car.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cars Ruined My Life

no
Old 01-11-2016, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I haven't driven my car forever. Like 3 hours. Before that it was every day to work rain or shine. I've driven it in snow and on dirt roads. Almost 7,000 miles since I bought it 6 months ago. I love this car too much to let it sit.
I get museum quality cars or collector cars, but this one is not, thank goodness!!!

www.dirtsunrise.com
Old 01-11-2016, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Interesting and, of late, recurring topic.

I also bought my 911's to drive but I like to make each drive an event, an adventure, a special occasion, something memorable.

Recent valuations have made me worry more about theft. Yes, that's what insurance is for but my standard rebuttal to that is, yeah, go ahead and try finding a replacement.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Please do not chastise me: but I made my boys learn stick shift first (on my 1980 Targa) now they both love the feel of changing gears and being in control of engine speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2016, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

no. they are all built for driving. I don't worry about mileage either, because i don't keep track of it lol. i'd have no clue how many are on the car.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The day I'm afraid to drive it is the day it goes up for sale.

Who the f@#$ am I saving it for?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
What he said.
2016 Ford Focus RS
Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

More science experiment than trophy.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I bought my 1973 with 129,000 miles on it or 229,000.....no one knows for sure. I put 150,000 miles on it in 10 years. I drive it.

Done a bare metal resto, and some more damage caused by a 80 year old later.....I just drive it all I can. Last year my buddy Peter and I did 1200 miles in 2.5 days....he has a 1972. They love the miles!!
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 01-11-2016, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Drive it and enjoy it!
I put 24,000 + miles a year on my 911, has 224,000 miles on it and it loves to be driven as much as possible.
Funny, a similar thread on 964 forum Rennlist is biased the other way_ few miles driven, a lot of coveting going on. LOL!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by umgang View Post
Drive it and enjoy it!
Funny, a similar thread on 964 forum Rennlist is biased the other way_ few miles driven, a lot of coveting going on. LOL!
hahaha really? seems a weird thought process:
buys car, becomes proud of not using it.
gg.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I just picked up a 68 912. My intention is to beat the living snot out of it everyday I can..rain, snow, sun... I drove my 83 the same way, approx 6k a year.
My latest has a strong motor and smooth 5 spd already so I'm having all other things addressed (brakes completely rebuilt, suspension total refresh, bad rust repaired...) and MAYBE I'll think about paint and interior sometime down the road. I just love driving an air cooled car. The smell. The sound. That's the ONLY reason I own one. I will bastardize this car somethin fierce when all said and done. Oh, and it spends almost all of its time outside (occasionally my wife lets me park in the garage).
Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Hey! I don't know about PCA racing they don't seem to have a class for older 911's /w 3,6 they want you to buy a new car, however an older 911 /3.6 2200-2300 pounds proper coil overs and shocks some 930 brakes, short gears, Hoosiers or slicks is still a very potent car! and in the right hands is right there with the gt3's . My buddy came in 5th overall at last years FOS AAAspeedway in a similar car in TT he only got beat by GT2 with 700 hp and some cup's and that's with a narrow body car 100 plus cars entered.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Oh and who the hell cares what's in vogue jeez really?
Old 01-11-2016, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

This is on the back of my 964 right now.

"Not putting miles on your Porsche is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend..."

Courtesy of Mooty. DRIVE THESE CARS. They deserve it. You deserve it.

BTW, I get my butt spanked by air cooled cars at PCA SDR DE Events quite often. They can be very fast, and the drivers of many of them are extremely fast.

2013 Cayenne Diesel
Old 01-11-2016, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
well said
Old 01-11-2016, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Truthfully, my 911 does not get driven as much as I'd like to.

I live 3 miles from work and just can't see taking it out for that. I can't even get the oil temp gauge to move in 3 miles in the winter. I drive one of the "appliances" when I go to work or otherwise ride a bike (which is also getting less frequent).

The 911 does get out on weekends for Cars & Coffee runs, drives with the wife, and to make sure all the twisty roads are still there. It goes out on overnight weekend trips and I have no issues parking it outside.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: