Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
New purchase resto - which way to go

Hello all,
Just looking for opinions on my newest project. Purchased a 67 911S that is currently in concours racing form. the previous owners have raced this car for 30 years without a crash or major hiccup. It has been completely disassembled and re-painted in Signal Yellow, the original color was Bahama Yellow.

The car is registered for vintage racing and has participated in those races. The car has sat for about 2 years due to a death in the family. So after a bit they (the family) decided to sell this car. The still have a few others in the collection - including an original RS and a 74 RSR that are perfect condition and recently had a nut and bolt restoration.

Longer story a bit shorter:
-All of the original interior, parts, wheels and number matching motor was included with the sale. The interior and all the other parts have been in carefully packed boxes in a controlled environment for the last 30 plus years. The interior upholstery pieces are near perfect.
-The car currently has a nicely sorted 2.7 motor, full race cage, fuel cell, fire suppressant system, full netting, plexi-glass side and rear window, extra fuchs wheels and tires, etc.

Okay - which way do I restore this:
A) Street hot rod - leave the cage in it but put back as much of the interior as possible and leave the 2.7 motor with the car
B) Same street rod but with the original motor. FYI - the original motors has been modified and has 13-1 compression. So pump fuel will not work, unless the are very good additives that you could use
C) Do a complete restoration and take it back to 100% stock. Re-modify the original motor to run on pump gas. Re-paint to the original Bahama Yellow color - which is one of my favorites on the early cars.

Looking for thoughts and suggestions that I may not have considered

Thanks,
Mark

-

08 GT3 RS (white/black) (modified of course)
67 911S
Old 01-18-2016, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Taking it apart is easy

I am really curious about why you purchased this marvelous car just so that you could change it somehow. Why? You have something that looks near to perfection as is - so you want to kill that off?

I could understand if the car were in questionable shape, or if you really, really wanted an extremely original car, etc., but you have no fixed idea. OK, it's your car, do what you want, but I just don't get ruining something beautiful simply so that you can have a 'project'.

There are plenty of basket cases out there needing some love that would be real projects. You should have bought something else.

Sorry for the criticism, just sayin'.

PLEASE CHECK MY QUIZZICAL BLOG: www.ponderingporsches.blogspot.com
Old 01-18-2016, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
San Diego, CA

I like the car as-is if that is what you like which I assume you do or else you would not have purchased it. Right?

But option A has benefits too if you want some street use.

BTW, what's in the cooler?
Old 01-18-2016, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Out of your options I'd go with A.

I'm a sucker for race cars though and that one looks to be done right. If it were mine I'd make it street legal and maybe put some sound deafening in it so I could enjoy some weekend drives without earplugs. I'd suggest option D:

D) make it street legal (headlights, blinkers, etc) and comfortable for weekend cruising but otherwise leave it as is.

I'm not a huge fan of the blue with yellow but it's still a beauty!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

I know that car. I've seen it race a number of times.

A couple years ago I nearly bought a pretty much identical car. If I had, I would have cut out the front half of the cage and street driven it just as it was. But mine didn't have any of the interior. With your car, I would probably put back in most of the interior, especially the seats.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-18-2016, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

It already has a lineage and a heritage .
Why go against the tide?

For those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

is this to keep or sell?
Old 01-18-2016, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Justin@Athens
Option D as outlined above, or sell it and go buy something that actually needs working on.
1999 x2 Boxster (sold)
2006 Cayman S (my daily)
Old 01-18-2016, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Restore the 67S to bone-stock original; take all of the go-fast parts and put them in another tub and make a hot rod. Leave the cage out, so you can drive the hot rod on the street.

JR
Old 01-18-2016, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage
Sounds like you bought the wrong car if you're referring to that as a "project" car. Sell it, let someone enjoy it as is and the world would be a happier place.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
912 Geek

Garage
My late friend Jerry Schouten once gave me a fun ride in that little devil. It's one of the best early 911 vintage racers in the world, and it would be a shame to see all of his careful work tossed into boxes in your storage area. So I vote to leave it as is and drive the snot out of it, just as he and his son did. If you don't intend to race it, sell it to someone who will.

Frank

Last edited by fbarrett; 01-18-2016 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: For the pure, unmitigated hell of it.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
This car seems done. Seems a waste to redo it. Reminds me of people who bulldoze a McMansion to build a new McMansion. Leave it! Looks like a very cool effort already.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

It would be a crying shame if you were to modify that car in any way. Too much heritage and history in that one especially for those out there looking for a vintage racer. Yes it is a 1967 S and we all know what clean examples of those are going for now days.

Assuming everything you have in boxes is numbers matching, then I'd say option "C". Otherwise put the headlights back in and drive it.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
I'd soften up the suspension a bit and maybe change the seats to something a little more comfortable for cruising/carving, but that is about it.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 01-18-2016, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Someone asked about the purpose of the cooler. I believe it was for dry ice for a cool suit possibly. If that baby was mine I would just make it street legal and enjoy it that way and if you find that you did't like it that way then sell it to someone who will appriciate it the way it sits and buy something else.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
That car is beautiful as is. I would not touch it.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Time to start vintage racing in my opinion!
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing bushings front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts - Ruf speelines 17x9-10
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 01-18-2016, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Leave it as it... that's a beautiful car. Congratulations!!!
1973 911E RSR Tribute Viper Green w/ 3.5 Twin Plug MFI
Old 01-18-2016, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbarrett View Post
My late friend Jerry Schouten once gave me a fun ride in that little devil. It's one of the best early 911 vintage racers in the world, and it would be a shame to see all of his careful work tossed into boxes in your storage area. So I vote to leave it as is and drive the snot out of it, just as he and his son did. If you don't intend to race it, sell it to someone who will.

Frank
Bump for emphasis.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Reiver

Headlights, doorcards that would allow side windows (RSR leather strap mechanism), remove front cage (save it), remove cool suit/ stuff in passenger foot well.
Stop work.
Drive it......if this car has been a race car for decades it has history worth saving and enjoying as close to 'as is' as possible.
All of this can be done and then returned to full race without issue.
Beautiful car.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: