Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smoky Mountain Region PCA

Garage
? 911SC Mystery Bushing?

I was working near the base of the pedals in my '82 911SC and found these fragments:

The material appears to be some sort of plastic or nylon. I think the amber color is deterioration from age - it is very brittle and crumbles easily. One side appears to have very square edges as if it were the face of a bushing? The other rim is crumbled. The ring of material is about 6mm wide, but like I said, one edge is crumbled and it could have been wider. When the pieces are placed together, the i.d. is about 10mm but it could have been larger if pieces are missing - the two pieces do not fit together perfectly.

At first I thought it might be a plastic bushing where the brake linkage connects to the long pushrod that goes up to the master cylinder - there is an obvious space there that looks like it is about 6mm wide, BUT, the steel shaft necks-down at that point and acts as a spacer. I thought perhaps this could still go there to act as a bearing, but it would have to be about 13mm i.d. to fit - however, like I said, these may be fragments of a larger piece/larger diameter.

Any ideas, or, is this just junk like a piece of hose or something that got nipped off?

Thanks,
John
Old 01-23-2016, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't think it is from the master cyl, but instead could be from the pedal cluster itself.
If you haven't checked out or done anything to it, it's likely to be from there.
there are several that are plastic, but newer ones are now available of bronze (except for the G50).

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 01-23-2016, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like it could be the part of the brake or clutch pedal bushing? there should be plenty of threads on here to assist.

Not the most fun job though…..
Old 01-23-2016, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

maybe this guy on the throttle linkage? there are other candidates.
on edit - sorry I didn't circle it, but you should be able to see 2 of them, the top one near the center of the pic is disintegrating.

Venetian Blue

Last edited by steely; 01-23-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Old 01-23-2016, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steely View Post
maybe this guy on the throttle linkage? there are other candidates.
on edit - sorry I didn't circle it, but you should be able to see 2 of them, the top one near the center of the pic is disintegrating.
Next chance I get, I'll take a look at the throttle linkage. The color of the material is correct, but those bushings look thinner relative to their diameters - hard to tell from a picture. My "mystery bushing" is a minimum of 6 mm wide.
I see something else interesting - the throttle stop has a rubber bumper on it. I don't have one on mine - wonder if a '82 had that or not?
Thanks,
John
Old 01-23-2016, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I don't think it is from the master cyl, but instead could be from the pedal cluster itself.
If you haven't checked out or done anything to it, it's likely to be from there.
there are several that are plastic, but newer ones are now available of bronze (except for the G50).
I didn't think it was from the master cylinder, either. At the lower end of the brake pushrod, where it attaches to the lever on the pedal cluster, it is secured by a clip on a shaft. On the other side of the pushrod, between the pushrod and the lever, there is a space on the shaft about 1/4" wide. Like I said previously, the metal shaft/pin is larger there and acts as a spacer to keep the pushrod from binding against the lever from the pedal cluster. Is there also supposed to be a bushing in that space? I apologize for not having thought to take a picture, but here is a diagram. I've drawn an arrow as where I "think" there might be a bushing:

I think if that pin definitely had a plastic bushing on it, then what I have is probably what's left of it! Can anyone tell me if they have a bushing there - plastic or bronze?

John
Old 01-23-2016, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I can't answer the rubber bumper question off-hand - perhaps if you checked the PET katalog? Here are 2 more pics of the same part I posted. The ID might be 6mm. The bushing (there are 2) has a small lip or flange and they fell apart the minute I handled them. I think the PN is 901 423 253 00 M105 for a $2 bronze replacement - if we're talking abt the same part.

Mine is an 87 so some of the parts are different.

Venetian Blue
Old 01-23-2016, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The shot below is from the 83 PET - if it applies, it does not show a bushing or spacer on the brake pin that connects to the swivel head (3) part of the push-rod.
I do not have a spacer or bushing there either.
I hope this helps.

Venetian Blue
Old 01-23-2016, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The shot below is from the 83 PET - if it applies, it does not show a bushing or spacer on the brake pin that connects to the swivel head (3) part of the push-rod.
I do not have a spacer or bushing there either.
I hope this helps.
That helps a lot! That diagram is very clear and like you said, definitely no bushing on that brake pin!
Thanks,
John
Old 01-23-2016, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I can't answer the rubber bumper question off-hand - perhaps if you checked the PET katalog? Here are 2 more pics of the same part I posted. The ID might be 6mm. The bushing (there are 2) has a small lip or flange and they fell apart the minute I handled them. I think the PN is 901 423 253 00 M105 for a $2 bronze replacement - if we're talking abt the same part.

Mine is an 87 so some of the parts are different.

You know, now that I think about it ... when looking at your photo of the assembled linkage, all I'm seeing is the flange of the bushing! ... And, my "mystery part" has a crumbled edge on one side which is probably where the flange broke off! In my mind's eye, if I had a flange on my "mystery bushing," I think it could well be the same part! I'm going to check the linkage tomorrow and if my bushing/bushings are missing, replace it with the bronze ones!

Thanks again!
John
Old 01-23-2016, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

yeah, sorry my pics didn't show the innards - I didn't do a complete job of photographing them, but "there's more inside".

But check, because maybe you found some other part.
If it is this part, check your throttle bell crank on the transmission - I think the same crumbly part may be used there to.

and yes - you're supposed to have 901-423-193-00 Rubber Stop (Fits 911 1965-89) shown in posts 4 and 5 above

If you go as far as to replace those pedal throttle bushings, do a little more research - there's maybe a half a dozen in there that could use some attention while your in there, and I am pretty sure you can get a 'kit' with all bronze. no one made one for mine yet.

Venetian Blue

Last edited by steely; 01-23-2016 at 02:43 PM..
Old 01-23-2016, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
yeah, sorry my pics didn't show the innards - I didn't do a complete job of photographing them, but "there's more inside".

But check, because maybe you found some other part.
If it is this part, check your throttle bell crank on the transmission - I think the same crumbly part may be used there to.

and yes - you're supposed to have 901-423-193-00 Rubber Stop (Fits 911 1965-89) shown in posts 4 and 5 above

If you go as far as to replace those pedal throttle bushings, do a little more research - there's maybe a half a dozen in there that could use some attention while your in there, and I am pretty sure you can get a 'kit' with all bronze. no one made one for mine yet.
GOOD NEWS!

Well, this a.m. I went out to the car, pulled the floorboard, and took a good look at the accelerator bell crank. I cleaned away some lube, and there were two BRONZE bushings smiling at me!

The linkage is very smooth with no slop. What I think is that a PO had changed out the bushings and just left the disintegrated nylon trash in the base of the pedal cluster (or in their defense, it rolled out of sight!) - the cluster base is shaped like a tray and tends to keep things from rolling around too far!

The remainder of the cluster is all tight with no slop, either ... hope they changed all the bushings out! Looks like I just need that $0.75 rubber stop (or make one from a piece of fuel hose), and that's about it! (I'll be sure to check those bushings on the bell crank on the transmission, too, the next time I have the car on the lift.)

Thanks so much Dan for the excellent reference pictures, diagrams, and advice!

John

Last edited by jaustinmd; 01-24-2016 at 06:56 AM..
Old 01-24-2016, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911sc , bushing , nylon , plastic