Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Relocating fuel pump up front with steel cross member.

So I managed to get my new tunnel fuel lines installed that I purchased from Len (BoxsterGT). A lot easier than I was anticipating after reading some of the threads on here. Only snag I ran into was on the 75 MY, the supply line is larger than the return line. Thus the holes the return line enters and exits the tunnel are smaller. Too small for the fittings. So I had to drill the holes larger. After that It was very easy to push them through to the rear.

Next step is mounting the fuel pump. I understand where it would mount with an aluminum cross member. Anyone have any good ideas with the steel cross member? I saw where it looks like Jeremy (JeremyD) had some mounts custom made.

This looks like a nice solution but I have no way of fabricating something that nice. Any other ideas out there?

'75 911s Targa
Old 02-11-2016, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not too custom. They're split, 2-piece collars. Available at McMaster, eBay and many other sources. Available in different IDs and materials. Looks like the hose clamps are drilled to mount onto the collars. The split rubber sleeves could be re-purposed from many sources including hose, rubber isolators, etc.

That's fairly elegant, but could also mount with split radiator hose around the pump and hose clamp(s) to attach to the crossmember.

Sherwood
Old 02-11-2016, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sherwood's suggestion is a better bet than the pretty clamps shown. Why? You should install the protective steel cover over the rack support and pump. Those clamps stick out quite a ways and leave the area vulnerable.
Okay, why not cut slots in the steel protective plate to clear the clamps? You ask. Well guess what gets nailed with debris as it passes under the car? Yup.. the clamps. Hit hard enough and the pump rotates with them
Old 02-11-2016, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Functionista

I believe my car the PO used what looks like rubber half moon isolators allowing it to clamp directly to the round crossmember. I don't notice any extra pump noise compared to later cars. Has good clearance.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
Not too custom. They're split, 2-piece collars. Available at McMaster, eBay and many other sources. Available in different IDs and materials. Looks like the hose clamps are drilled to mount onto the collars. The split rubber sleeves could be re-purposed from many sources including hose, rubber isolators, etc.

That's fairly elegant, but could also mount with split radiator hose around the pump and hose clamp(s) to attach to the crossmember.

Sherwood
Ok that sounds like the easiest way to do this. Wasn't sure if it would be good enough but sounds like the best way to do it.

Quote:
Sherwood's suggestion is a better bet than the pretty clamps shown. Why? You should install the protective steel cover over the rack support and pump. Those clamps stick out quite a ways and leave the area vulnerable.
Okay, why not cut slots in the steel protective plate to clear the clamps? You ask. Well guess what gets nailed with debris as it passes under the car? Yup.. the clamps. Hit hard enough and the pump rotates with them
Today 06:35 PM
I am missing the protective plate but I am thinking its probably a good idea to find one, especially now the fuel pump will be mounted in that area.

Thanks everyone.

'75 911s Targa
Old 02-11-2016, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I hung mine from the steering rack as in this thread.

Mounting a Pierburg fuel pump
Old 02-12-2016, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrantz View Post
I hung mine from the steering rack as in this thread.

Mounting a Pierburg fuel pump
That looks good. That rear mount is the same as what I pulled out of mine. I would just need new rubber pieces and fab a bracket like you did. I like this idea.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Here is a Carrera pump mounted at the front using a 964 Mount w/ the rubber cover to silence the whirring noise..........

The 964 Mount is this one.......

Perhaps this will help.

Len

Old 02-18-2016, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Here is the simple pump mount I have come up with using Rubber lined Loop Clamps......

It hangs off the steel crossmember and no holes need to be drilled in the chassis.

This is on a 69 911 with the central fittings on the original Gas Tank.

For info, please email me. No PM's as my BOX is FULL!

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Old 06-02-2017, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: