Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

81 911SC Euro RoW Locks by Itself (911 SC, 1981 ZZZ)

I have a mystery here. My driver's door was locked and I was unable to open it from the inside or the outside. The door trigger on the outside freewheeled as one would expect when the door is locked. Neither the lock knob on the inside of the door nor the key would turn; they were both blocked by an element of the lock/latch mechanism. The typically visible locking pin which protrudes through the front of the top of the door panel was also not present (the metal on to which the plastic stem (pin) goes and the plastic pin itself are not present on my car). I went in to the driver's seat by climbing over from the passenger side armed with a small cadre of tools: screw driver, needlenose pliers, some tape, a picture of the lock mechanism printed from Pelican Forums...whatever I could grab quickly. After about 2 hours of wiggling around, I was able to wiggle my hand in with a screw driver inside the closed door (an extreme challenge for me) and fished around and without really (or at all) knowing what I was doing or looking for and I was actually able to unlock it. The view of the center of the mechanism is blocked by the rearward window track which made it especially difficult to work. After blindly probing with a screwdriver and continuously trying to turn the lock knob, I was luckily successful by pushing the tab over which freed the lock knob. After freeing the knob and unlocking the door, I scurried back across to the passenger side to exit the car and went around to the driver's side and, voila! I opened the door.

I opened and closed the door of my project car a number of times celebrating my accomplishment. I taped over the interior knob just so no others would touch it (or me in my absentmindedness) and lock it by mistake

I came back a few hours later and even though no one had access to the car but me, the door was locked again! I can't begin to describe the frustration! I got it unlocked again (another hour).

What is going on here to cause it to lock on its own? Is this a common point of failure? Maybe a goo-ey spring (with 35 year old overly viscous grease) that needs to be re-lubed? Did some flap or spring fall into locked position the last time I closed the door before departing for a few hours?

How can I get this lock working again?

Thanks...any and all help would be most appreciated!!

Last edited by octanemaestro; 03-30-2016 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: Clarifications
Old 03-30-2016, 02:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911sc , lock , locking , locks , mechanism