Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Spacer for prototypo

Hello

What is the best spacer kit for the momo prototypi steering wheel?

Is it eccentric? Not sure what this means when related to hubs and spacers.
(I do know what eccentric means).

Also is a 15mm spacer the best ?
Seems to be the most common.

Also what do you do for your speedo and rev counter- I,ve seen some rotated.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2016, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Eccentric means the wheel turns in an eccentric arc. A typical wheel the stays in the same plane as you turn. When an eccentric spacer the wheel will be closer at times and further away at others.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
Eccentric means the wheel turns in an eccentric arc. A typical wheel the stays in the same plane as you turn. When an eccentric spacer the wheel will be closer at times and further away at others.
trying to visualize, do you mean eccentric in the vertical plane (i.e. closer at times to your knees/seat bottom) or horizontal plane (i.e. closer at times to your chest/seat back)? Suspect it's the former (the hub center is not in the same place as the center of the wheel itself)
Old 04-19-2016, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Do a Google search for JWest eccentric hub adapter and you will see a video that shows it better than I can probably explain it.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Air Cooled

Garage
I bought one from our host that is made by MOMO: Part #: PEL-MOMO-SPACER

It puts my Prototipo right where I wanted it, so no longer hitting my fingers on the dash. It does set the wheel away from the turn signals, but you get used to it.

Whether you want to spin your speedo or tach is up to you, but I didn't. Mind you, I can't see the speed limit up around 90...but I'm not really looking at my dash when I'm going that fast.
'88 Honda Hawk GT, '77 Honda CB750K Cafe

Last edited by Craig_D; 04-19-2016 at 11:31 PM..
Old 04-19-2016, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I've bought several spacers from LTB motorsports, they sell a few different sizes and come with hardware
Old 04-19-2016, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

86FlatSix

Garage
I recently got this from LTB and installed it a week ago as the steering wheel I installed was too close to the top of the dash.

I chose the 1" though they also have 2" option.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have the 2" from LTB and the JWest eccentric, works for me at 6'5".
Old 04-19-2016, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I have the 2" from LTB and the JWest eccentric, works for me at 6'5".

This. I'm 6'6". I didn't do the eccentric, however. But I did rotate the speedo so I can see the needle up to 90 or so. First question everyone asks when they look inside.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Air Cooled

Garage
...anyone else also notice the OP's Proto-"typos"? lol
'88 Honda Hawk GT, '77 Honda CB750K Cafe
Old 04-19-2016, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_D View Post
...anyone else also notice the OP's Proto-"typos"? lol
Yeah predictive text on my phone is my excuse for my spelling mistake 😉
Old 04-20-2016, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWICK911 View Post
Hello

What is the best spacer kit for the momo prototypi steering wheel?

Is it eccentric? Not sure what this means when related to hubs and spacers.
(I do know what eccentric means).

Also is a 15mm spacer the best ?
Seems to be the most common.

Also what do you do for your speedo and rev counter- I,ve seen some rotated.

Thanks
When the factory steering wheels got smaller and thicker rimmed (starting with the 3-spoke), the rim was offset upward in relation to the center to help with the view of the gauges when the wheel is straight. The eccentric spacer provides the same solution for aftermarket steering wheels. If you really pay attention, you will find that many (could even be most) modern cars have some offset to the wheel.

Event he factory did not have a "best" solution, as there was a factory "raised hub" option that simply pushed the steering wheel closer to the driver. This might be desired depending on your physical build and seating position. There are many of these spacers in many different thicknesses available for aftermarket wheels. These spacers can be used with or without the eccentric spacer to best fit the wheel to you.

JWest Engineering
Old 04-20-2016, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest View Post
When the factory steering wheels got smaller and thicker rimmed (starting with the 3-spoke), the rim was offset upward in relation to the center to help with the view of the gauges when the wheel is straight. The eccentric spacer provides the same solution for aftermarket steering wheels. If you really pay attention, you will find that many (could even be most) modern cars have some offset to the wheel.

Event he factory did not have a "best" solution, as there was a factory "raised hub" option that simply pushed the steering wheel closer to the driver. This might be desired depending on your physical build and seating position. There are many of these spacers in many different thicknesses available for aftermarket wheels. These spacers can be used with or without the eccentric spacer to best fit the wheel to you.

Thanks

At over 6ft tall I have my chair back so I can get my legs in and without a spacer I find I am having to slump forward to hold the steering wheel- which is not comfortable!

Also my fingers rub the dash when steering- annoying but also not what I like.

The spacer, probably 20mm would be ideal, would give clearance to the dash and keep me within the reach of indicator stalks etc....

Momo supply a 20mm spacer which I have ordered, hopefully this will be the solution for me.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxnofx View Post
This. I'm 6'6". I didn't do the eccentric, however. But I did rotate the speedo so I can see the needle up to 90 or so. First question everyone asks when they look inside.
You should, it's a pretty wonderful combination. I have the oil, tach, and speedo all rotated to a visible angle now.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
You should, it's a pretty wonderful combination. I have the oil, tach, and speedo all rotated to a visible angle now.
Thanks for the advice, StiG. Does the wheel feel funky when you turn it due to the fact that its height will change with the eccentric?
Old 04-20-2016, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

looks a little funky but I get how it works now.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
I am using the 1" spacer from LTB with mine, just about perfect for me. I am 5'11" and prefer to sit fairly close.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 04-20-2016, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxnofx View Post
Thanks for the advice, StiG. Does the wheel feel funky when you turn it due to the fact that its height will change with the eccentric?
Doesn't feel funky at all for me.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Hello do you have a picture of your rotated dials?
Old 04-22-2016, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

So got the spacer!

However what am I doing wrong, as the horn button will not stay in.

Anybody got pictures of there spacer fitted.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: