Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0schotrod View Post
Sorry we have all already established that part will not screw into the bottom of the Dansk tank, and even if it did the fabricated part of the actual tank is different to the porsche tank, so it wouldnt do anything useful even if it would screw in.

(3.0 not sure why this is so confusing for some. I have the same tank. Let me try this approach on your behalf.)

***The Dansk brand replacement fuel tank is FILTERLESS TANK. The standard fuel screen/filter that screws into the bottom of the factory tank will not work in these tanks.

What do other Pelicans recommend (if anything) for an in-line (or other) filtering device?
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
I used these - one attached up front (on the cross member) between the fuel pump and tank, and two out back before the carbs: In Line Fuel Filter
R Gruppe #787
70T Ex-Waterlogged Rust Bucket
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/519605-waterlogged-rust-bucket.html
Old 04-28-2016, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I have the Dansk tank, and i am not running any strainer, or filter, and have had no problems. I am also running a $60 ******** pump, so if it goes, i will just replace it with another cheap one.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Thanks Blee and thanks Scott
Old 04-28-2016, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Thanks TDW for re wording my question. Think we are getting somewhere now.

I have fuel injection so that one wont work for me (blee). I'm calling russell filters on Friday to ask them the question,

I have a brand new $250 BOSCH pump, so not keen to knock it out with particles just yet
Old 04-28-2016, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Pete

Garage
There is limited space between the tank outlet and the pump inlet. I've seen a picture where a inline filter could be fit in this space by "cheating" the pump over to the right as far as it can go. See the picture in the forum post below.

Fuel Vapour System

I am considering this Holley pre filter. Its 3.5 inches long but it has AN inlet/outlet so need room for adapters. I think its too long without creating a "loop" in the line so it could reside adjacent to the pump. That would require custom line routing. They do have one with barbed input/output, but that's almost 5 inches long.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Hi Wakeupct

That looks similar to the russell filter I have been looking at, will look into that one as well.

I have my tank out and it is tight for space, yes there may be the need for a loop with the filter somewhere above the fuel pump, as the skid plate prevents fixture below the pump, or even having the pipes going behind the cross member to the other void behind underneath the cross member, but I guess the pipes could go over the top of the cross member somehow. My concern with that is air locks, especially on start up.

I undid my pump and managed to move it say 3/4 of an inch to the right, still not enough to go straight into filter then out of filter into the pump without the loop idea.

Might mock something up with something similar size to one of these fuel filters/screens.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I spoke to russell (Edelbrock) filters this morning, one of their tech guys assured me that their smaller filters (cheaper) with 40 micron stainless steel mesh elements will flow 2 liters per minute no problem into a pump running 80 psi.

So will decide if im going Earls or Russell, then get this thing all hooked up,
Old 04-29-2016, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0schotrod View Post
I spoke to russell (Edelbrock) filters this morning, one of their tech guys assured me that their smaller filters (cheaper) with 40 micron stainless steel mesh elements will flow 2 liters per minute no problem into a pump running 80 psi.

So will decide if im going Earls or Russell, then get this thing all hooked up,
3.0Schotrod - what about this unit from Jegs? 2 1/4" long, billet, 40 micron filter and flows at 130 gph at 75 PSI.

JEGS Performance Products 15030, JEGS Compact Billet In-Line Fuel Filters, 2-5/16'' Long | JEGS Performance Products

Old 04-29-2016, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Hmmm...this is AN10 and the right angle outlet might be useful...the flow rate is not shown though.

JEGS Performance Products 150054, JEGS 90 Compact Fuel Filter | JEGS Performance Products

Old 04-30-2016, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Really like the idea of this with 1/2 in hose fittings.

I may buy one of these for a project of my own & see how it fits.

Len

Old 04-30-2016, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Whatever you all do you may want to be aware of a new issue I have come up against.

The tank outlet and the pump are indeed 1/2 inch. The 1/2" bore fuel pipe I bought initially will in no way curve round to the filter in a tight enough arc, it kinks and flattens out almost cutting off the supply. When I measured the pump inlet its actually 0.470", not quite 1/2" so I bought some thinner wall 7/16" pipe and that measures 0.430", it will easily expand slightly to slip on the tank and pump 'barbs', and seems more willing to bend round in a tighter curve also, just a thought.

I am going to buy a filter with 1/2" barbs though, I think 3/8 is too small, and going 1/2" to 3/8" will need a reducer anyway, no room, and makes it too complex.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Just ordered this Filter and 1/2in hose barbs. Looks like there is enough room if we shift the pump over a few mm to the drivers side. Depending on how tight a turn we can make with the supply hose we may need a short 180 or "S" bend of some sort.

The side outlet of the filter may allow a direct shot into the pump.

Len

OOoops, Just realized this is an early pump w outlet on its side. The later pumps all exit out the end, taking up more room.

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 05-04-2016 at 03:26 PM..
Old 05-04-2016, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterGT View Post

Just ordered this Filter and 1/2in hose barbs. Looks like there is enough room if we shift the pump over a few mm to the drivers side. Depending on how tight a turn we can make with the supply hose we may need a short 180 or "S" bend of some sort.

The side outlet may allow a direct shot into the pump.

Len

Thx for the update Len. Keep us in the loop. ; )
Old 05-04-2016, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Here's what I came up with for the first fitment.......

Now all I need is the time and the vehicle here to attempt a fitment. Everything I have is still in storage.

Plan to clamp this to a fuel pump mount mounted against the Alum Crossmember as this is heavy and needs support. Of course the hoses need clamps but the fitment is what I want first.

I think it will fit by moving the pump over toward the drivers side. May have to eliminate the 60 deg fitting for the return and use a straight, but that's easy to do.

Len

Old 05-13-2016, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Well, after reading the install guide, I realize I have this upside down, so back to the drawing board.

When it comes time to service the filter element, a pliers type clamp can block the tank hose while the cover & element are removed and the filter body remains in place.

So, I must wait until I get a 911 out of storage to look this over more closely and attempt fitment.

Len

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 05-16-2016 at 12:23 PM..
Old 05-13-2016, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Well guys I got so frustrated with trying to come up with sometihng, I decided to design a really short fuel screen, it will be 3/4" long and 2.5" diameter and contain a 100 micron screen, in stainless with 1/2 " barbs either end, the idea is that it will just fit between the tank outlet and the pump, in line without moving anything. My friend is an aerospace welder and the hope is to have the prototype welded up within a month and I will then likely fit it, should be good, more soon.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

3.0schrotrod - How did you design work out?

I was struggling with this same issue during the same time. I ended up utilizing a similar inline filter as wakeupct - Setrab In-Line 150 Micron Filter. I only managed to get round to installing this setup this weekend. Photos below. Used 0.5" hoses and -8AN fittings. I managed to install this set up by flipping the orientation of the fuel pump and re-routing the output fuel line and electrical connections from the fuel pump. I unfortunately had to remove the fuel pump mount bushings to fit all these components. I used rubber lining/padding to mitigate any hoses rubbing and wearing. Yet to fill the tank with fuel and confirm that all connections are leak tight.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Watching this with great interest. Bought a Dansk tank, painted it, but haven't purchased the sender or anything else yet. Didn't realize there is no strainer! Yikes.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullStandsAlone View Post
Watching this with great interest. Bought a Dansk tank, painted it, but haven't purchased the sender or anything else yet. Didn't realize there is no strainer! Yikes.
KInd of ridiculous. All Dansk needs to do is install a threaded bung that accepts the standard strainer. Given all the hassles of an inline filter install I am seeing here I may just get the bung welded in.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: