Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest

Nice work Brec-

AN-8 seems to be the correct size for suction into the pump, and flipping the pump works out well.

Did you have to use a clamp for the pump output hose or did the original crimped feed hose to the tunnel fit?

Len

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 06-10-2016 at 11:44 AM..
Old 06-10-2016, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Thank you Len! Fortunately the previous owner had installed steel lines through the tunnel, so only required 5/16" hoses to slip over each line and used hose clamps.

Finally had a chance to hydro-test test all the connections. Unfortunately, it seems that I'll need to source a better end fitting for the fuel tank return hose. The best I could find locally was a metric fitting (no inverted flare, so relies on thread-to-thread sealing - no luck!). I'll drop you an e-mail Len to see if you can help me source an M14x1.5 female metric inverted flare fitting - very difficult to find online. Hopefully you can help me out....returning customer here
Old 06-18-2016, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Am wondering if an adapter between the tank and a Porsche filter would work? It's possible as long as the filter's diameter is smaller than the tank opening...
Yukon Yellow
Old 06-18-2016, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Sorry everyone, I got side tracked by other prokects (new turbo toe rods, backfiring on start up) and as my repaired tank is holding up fine I havent gott he prototype 3/4 " screen/filter welded up yet, but its still on the cards, just need to get my ass in gear and get it done. Bear with me.

Will post pics when its ready
Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
San Diego, CA

Curious, I asked about installing an inline filter before the pump when I istalled my Dansk tank. One comment was not to do it suggesting the filter collapsing from the CIS pressures and increased suction compared to other FI systems. However some of the examples shown appear small and strong enough to withstand high pressure and vacuum.

Last edited by Avanti; 06-20-2016 at 03:19 PM..
Old 06-20-2016, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Avanti - filter collapse due to suction may be an issue with paper filter elements. However, some of the examples shown here are mesh screen filters or sintered metal filters - both of which can be small, provide adequate flow rates and not have issues with fuel pump suction. The example I installed was a 150-micron sintered bronze filter.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

brec9a-

Don't remember getting an email from you, though I am having trouble keeping track of emails. Seems that Verizon keeps telling me I am "exceeding my limit" and blocks new messages.

I am also a bit confused. What M14 fitting do you need? The return to a new Dansk tank should be a M14 Female 60 as in the photo in post #7 and shown on the right.

Happy to help.

Len

Old 07-10-2016, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Just replaced the fuel pump, filter and shut off valve on my converted 914 (six):

It all should fit. The 914 area is similar to a 911. You'll notice the 911 front crossmember.

911 with factory internal filter screen; no shut off valve):

914 with shut off valve and external filter (w/911 suspension shown):

Some thoughts:
Excess fuel hose will allow extra bends to install fuel components as necessary.

A fuel filter (internal or external) is preferred to prevent sediment from entering the fuel pump. Short of removing and dismantling the filter canister or tin-canning an OEM-type filter, there's no convenient way to inspect how much debris is contained in it. A see-through, cleanable filter is one answer to monitor the contents. The object here is to remove particles sizes large enough to clog/damage the fuel pump. Smaller particles can be filtered downstream before entering the intake system.

However, since a filter mounted in this location, there's less opportunity to inspect on a periodic basis. The trunk is a more preferable location for ease of service and maintenance. OTOH, a low-mounted pump can rely more on gravity to provide fuel to the pump inlet.

The ball valve allows filter and/or fuel pump service without draining the tank or pinching off the supply hose that may or may not be pliable after years of service.

Sherwood
Old 07-11-2016, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Here is what I have come up with using the Setrab lifetime fuel filter...........

It has the fuel pump flipped around as brec9a has done. New front hoses are needed, as the lengths have now changed. Filter element is easily serviced by pinching off the supply hose and disconnecting the fittings.

If you are replacing the old rusty tank, now may be the time to do that full fuel system restoration. All hoses are E-85 rated and "factory Level" in materials & construction. Also, the M12 Banjo Cap Nut shown in photo is in stock.

Please email me for more info.

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 08-20-2016 at 09:08 AM..
Old 08-20-2016, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
I replaced a rusty factory tank when I rescued my '79 from an eight year sleep. The dansk replacement tank does not have the strainer. It killed two brand new Bosch fuel pumps. I think it might have been minute particle of metal from the manufacturing process even though i thouroughly flushed the tank prior to installation. I reversed one pump and i saw some shineys. The next one locked up solid.
I did the same thing as above with a replaceable filter similar, minus the cool hard lines. It has been a trouble free runner for months and a thousand miles. This would be a highly recommended if not a necessary install for those putting in repro tanks without strainers.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterGT View Post

Here is what I have come up with using the Setrab lifetime fuel filter...........

It has the fuel pump flipped around as brec9a has done. New front hoses are needed, as the lengths have now changed. Filter element is easily serviced by pinching off the supply hose and disconnecting the fittings.

If you are replacing the old rusty tank, now may be the time to do that full fuel system restoration. All hoses are E-85 rated and "factory Level" in materials & construction. Also, the M12 Banjo Cap Nut shown in photo is in stock.

Please email me for more info.

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Looks tidy Is this filter you are using?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=9560
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 08-20-2016, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

That one is too small. You need the AN-8 filter.

Len

Old 08-21-2016, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Porsche Crest Dansk Tank Pre-Filter

Here is the first one I have sent out for a late Dansk Tank installed in a early 911 with upgraded Alum crossmember..........

Hope to show one with the early steel crossmember sometime soon. This uses a washable Setrab Filter easily cleaned by pinching off the supply hose and disconnecting the fittings.

For price & availability please inquire by email only.

Len at Autosportenginering dot com

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 11-07-2016 at 10:22 AM..
Old 11-07-2016, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
THE REDNECK MEXICAN

So glad I found this thread, actually in the process of replacing all my lines and tank

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2017, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Len,

I tried sending you a PM about this setup, by your message folder is full. I'd like to source the setup you have above.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Best way is to email me. I like to send photos, and pms will not accept photos.

email is: Len dot Cummings at verizon dot net

I am happy to help.

Len

Old 07-21-2018, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Len - Email sent
Old 07-21-2018, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Subd
Old 07-21-2018, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterGT View Post

Best way is to email me. I like to send photos, and pms will not accept photos.

email is: Len dot Cummings at verizon dot net

I am happy to help.

Len

sent you an email
Old 07-23-2018, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Len - Sent you an email a couple days ago. Lemme know if you didn't see it.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: