Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dansk fuel tank, show me your in line fuel filter

So my fuel tank has about 50 pin holes in it and I have decided it is beyond repair so I am going to buy a new Dansk tank for my 79 SC.

It has been discussed before, but I need to see your in line fuel filter, make and model number. Fuel filters are like bugs, there are milions of them but I am betting only a few will fit in that tight space between the outlet and the fuel pump, taking into consideration pipe sizes, ability to flow correctly, size and diameter, and possibly using one that has a 90 degree inlet and outlet.

My local car shop has small in line filters for $4, but they seem to be for lawn tractors and may not flow enough (im no expert though)

Thanks
Old 04-25-2016, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Spiderman

Garage
Would it not be possible to use the big stock unit like is in my 87? Mounted in the engine compartment drivers side. Its easy to get to and huge. Maybe a pain to route the fuel to if not like what you have now. Nice thing is that the fuel lines at the pump are simple then.
Red 08 Impreza, wifes car sold
Grey 05 CRV, now is the daughters solution
Old 04-25-2016, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mmmm, im sure its possible but it would be a bit of a pain with the extra pipe work. And I dont think there is enough room to mount another bosch one (like in the engine compartment) under the car at the front between the fuel tank and fuel pump.

I was wondering if anyone has used anything like this, make and model number ?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Gunga Galunga

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse16 View Post
Would it not be possible to use the big stock unit like is in my 87? Mounted in the engine compartment drivers side. Its easy to get to and huge. Maybe a pain to route the fuel to if not like what you have now. Nice thing is that the fuel lines at the pump are simple then.
The stock fuel tank has a strainer that prevents larger particles from entering the fuel pump. The dansk tank does not have this. It is good practice to have a strainer before pumps and a filter after. This goes for most fluids applications.

I am also curious about strainer options for my dansk tank.

Warning to OP, do not follow bentley recommended torque on those dansk fuel sender studs.... there I was, trying to do the right thing...
Old 04-25-2016, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Pete

Garage
I'm in the same place 3.0schotrod. New tank is coming this week. I want to paint it to look more like the original. I also want to add a filter/strainer before the fuel pump.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You don't need or want anything more than the stock filters. Don't use a plastic filter.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

So the good thing is im not alone,

RSTarga, the Dansk tank does not have an in tank filter like the OEM, and the standard filter in the engine compartment is after the fuel pump, if we dont put an in line in place between the tank outlet and the pump, we have un filtered fuel going into the fuel pump, over time this will not be a good thing (again this is those of us who are moving to the Dansk tank with no internal filter)

So we are looking for those who have installed an in line between Dansk tank outlet and the fuel pump to show us pics and give us make model numbers of the filter, I do know one thing, its tight for space

Thanks
Old 04-26-2016, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Gunga Galunga

Garage
I would stay away from using a filter. It seems like the industry standard for cars is a bag style strainer that is fixed inside the tank on the pump inlet. This would obviously be impossible with the dansk tank however we could probably come up with a modification to an existing inline filter by using a differebt element. There would be a delta p across a filter especially as it gets dirty that might hurt the pumps performance.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yes doublebuffle I would agree that over time performance would drop, also showing over time, that without a strainer, the fuel pump itself would get blocked. I cant believe there is no simple solution to this, as there must be many out there using the Dansk tank. What we want is a strainer canister, small, with the same sort of mesh inside it as the original porsch tank filter that we can put in line, how hard can it be.

To that end I have contacted Dansk to ask them how they expect their tank to be used, bearing in mind they decided to eliminate the filter part. Whilst we are grateful for the cheaper price, possibly by them omitting the 'frills' of the porsche tank, we still dont want to then take out a $250 BOSCH pump in the process. Lets see what they come up with.

In the mean time, im still thinking someone must have an in line filter that has worked out ok ? Anyone ?
Old 04-27-2016, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Im leaning towards a russell filter, maybe part numbers 650133 or 650103, its fairly small and it can accept different size barb ends, and not too expensive. They do another which has a removable element so you can clean it (pn 8157). In fact they are more of a screen than a filter. Im going to call them in California this week and have a chat. Will report back.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Gunga Galunga

Garage
Maybe the Dansk tank is "strainer not included" and one is supposed to install the porsche factory strainer. The strainer is in the center of the OEM tank so I assume that the supply pipe to the pump continues to below the strainer? Perhaps the Dansk is the same?
Old 04-27-2016, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

doublebuffle, no its very different. The porsche insert, filter and pickup pipe make sure that strained fuel is picked up by the outlet pipe

The dansk one looks like this, simplified and cheaper to make. (not my picture)

Last edited by 3.0schotrod; 04-27-2016 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: picture missing
Old 04-27-2016, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now with picture

Old 04-27-2016, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Gunga Galunga

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0schotrod View Post
Now with picture

Haha, i did this yesterday too. Yes it appears that dansk has tried to direct the return fuel to the same area as the pickup. Id still like to use a strainer personnaly!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Well I just asked Pelican Parts tech center what hole size is in the standard porsche fuel tank filter mesh, that we cant fit in our Dansk tanks. If I can find the hole size in microns I can find an in line with the same size I think. Russell filters seem to be 40 microns.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

That is your swirl pot inside the tank. The mesh filter is in the fuel outlet connection at the bottom rear of your tank
Old 04-28-2016, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

This is what you need from our host.
Porsche 911 (1974-1989) - Fuel System - Page 6
Old 04-28-2016, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sorry RSTarga

Which part number on that page 6 do you want us to look at ?

And you are saying there is a mesh filter built into the Dansk tank we are talking about. If yes, where, I dont see it ?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Fuel Tank Screen
Part #: 911-201-141-00-M100

No it is screwed in at the bottom for ease of cleaning.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Sorry we have all already established that part will not screw into the bottom of the Dansk tank, and even if it did the fabricated part of the actual tank is different to the porsche tank, so it wouldnt do anything useful even if it would screw in.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: