Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Keen 915 operator

Garage
Is there a trick for mounting new fan belt?

This is rather embarrassing, but...

I'm in the process of replacing my fan belt with a shiny, new, Porsche original one. Trouble is, it's quite stiff. Thus I'm having a problem with getting the outer shims to stay in place on the 'key' part of the axle,´whilst replacing the domed washer and nut.

Is there a neat trick to get the shims to stay in place or the belt to become less stiff?

'82 Porsche 911 SC Coupe
'77 Porsche 924 Targa
Instagram: @orebro.classics | @924.resurrection
Old 04-28-2016, 12:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Umm, no. No advice on managing those shims.

But make sure you check and adjust the belt after having run it five minutes and check again a day or two later. It wears into the shape of the pulley and gets lose quickly.

I'm sure the other guys will have a handy helpful hint in regard to handling those shims
Old 04-28-2016, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

when you are putting on the domed washer dont worry about the shims.
put the washer on then screw the bolt on just barley, so it stays- then with your left hand reach under there and get all the shims in place while you snug up the bolt

81 SC
97 328is
87 Jeep Comanche (RIP)
Old 04-28-2016, 01:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Old 04-28-2016, 02:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Keen 915 operator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2guy View Post
when you are putting on the domed washer dont worry about the shims.
put the washer on then screw the bolt on just barley, so it stays- then with your left hand reach under there and get all the shims in place while you snug up the bolt
Thanks for the tip! I might have to use a small screwdriver since my pulley is the type with an extra part for the air pump, but I think that'll work.

'82 Porsche 911 SC Coupe
'77 Porsche 924 Targa
Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Keen 915 operator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDudley View Post
I was tempted to try this last night, after a lot of fiddling. Today I'm glad I didn't...

'82 Porsche 911 SC Coupe
'77 Porsche 924 Targa
Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Use a tiewrap to squeeze the belt in the middle. Just like the shape it will be when it is tightened up.

That should lessen the effect of pulling the upper pulley half off the alternator

'82 911SC, SSI, 22/29 tbars, 22F/22R Adj swaybars, Bilstein Sport, Elephant polybronze & monoballs, Cambermeister bar, turbo tierods, Carrera oil cooler, front brake cooling ducts, Sparco Sprint 5 & Recaro SRD PAX seat, Teamtech harness, DAS Sport rollbar.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Is there a trick for mounting new fan belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix83 View Post
Thanks for the tip! I might have to use a small screwdriver since my pulley is the type with an extra part for the air pump, but I think that'll work.

That's exactly what I had to do, my pulley also has the extra lip for the air pump belt. A bit frustrating getting the nut started, but once I got it barely started I reached in with a small flat head to get the shims centered. With the nut putting a bit of pressure on them they popped into place, smooth sailing from there to get the nut properly torqued.

Realize you'll probably have to go through that drill a few times to figure out how many shims you'll need on each side of the pulley.

Last edited by vick; 04-28-2016 at 09:39 AM..
Old 04-28-2016, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Felix... given shims in place, one trick concerning new fan belts is to install them tight. After awhile of running the belt will stretch slightly. If set at the correct tension when first installed, one has to return later to tighten it. Setting it tight to start with precludes the return trip. This "initial tight set" is a matter of experience developed over time.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
I like to position the fan key perpendicular to the ground, put my 3 shims inside then the pulley half, 3 outer, dome, push and rotate fan as I squeeze then I put the nut on to spec using OEM belt.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-01-2016, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Tight belt is actually the right path.

Here is how I solved it.
Anyone else's fan belt keep getting loose?

Dealer alternator belt that is way too small/tight? (9.5 x 710)
Old 05-01-2016, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Keen 915 operator

Garage
So I actually devised a trick for mounting the shims myself. I wrapped the domed washer and the amount of shims I wanted on the outside with some electrical tape, making sure none of the tape was protruding beyond the shims, thus running the risk of getting pinched stuck when tightening everything up. Then I screwed everything back together, removing the tape with a pair of pliers before torquing the nut.

Now, however, I'm stuck with another problem. The pulley doesn't seem to be seated properly, it's slightly off when the engine is running. I've tried to redo everything, but it's still off. I noted when taking everything apart that one shim was missing, could this be an attempt by a PO to get round this?

Last edited by felix83; 05-09-2016 at 04:17 AM..
Old 05-04-2016, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

im not sure if anyone has mentioned it, i havent read above. Lazy i know. My trick for getting all of the shims on, and thats with say 2 inner, and 4 outer is Grease, Vasoline, ive even used chapstick in a pinch.

Imagine you have two inner, 4 for the outer. Nightmare. No problem, for the 4 shims, give them a light coat of grease both sides, and they will stick together. Now stick it, in, and the grease will hold it while you get the washer and nut on. I always tighten and turn, i allow while tightening the pully to rotate, and only hold it at the end, when i want to get the nut to its final torque. This helps get it nice and even on the belt.

If your having trouble with alignment check all of your shims are flat. You need 6, but ive got away a few times with just 5. I say the belt is tight when you can just turn it 90 degress like a cam belt/timing belt. Or with the engine running, when you rev it it should not flap, or when you turn the top pulley the bottom should always move, if it slips your belt is too loose. I kinda use all 3 for determineing if my belt is tight enough.

Last edited by strictly; 05-04-2016 at 01:06 PM..
Old 05-04-2016, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Keen 915 operator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix83 View Post
Now, however, I'm stuck with another problem. The pulley doesn't seem to be seated properly, it's slightly off when the engine is running. I've tried to redo everything, but it's still off. I noted when taking everything apart that one shim was missing, could this be an attempt by a PO to get round this?
I shot a short video to illustrate. Is this cause for concern or could I leave it as-is? The nut is fully done-up, my greatest worry is that the alternator bearings get an uneven load and wear prematurely.

'82 Porsche 911 SC Coupe
'77 Porsche 924 Targa
Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Is the pulley bent?
Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Pulley looks bent. Just order the single if you aren't using the smog.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 05-09-2016, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

My fan belt history is the following. Heard a squeal coming from the fan belt area. No problem easy fix right?. Trip to Autozone for a belt and the is squeal less but still there.
Ordered the replacement Porsche belt from our host. Virtually impossible to get on. Ordered the other Contech belt after reading all the posts. No problem went right on. Squeal still present. Went ape SH**.

Result, pulled alternator and had bearings rebuilt
No more squeal.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: