Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Reliable power,guaranteed

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgjhgj View Post
Does anything support it from the tail pipe end? That's a lot of weight to be holding up otherwise.
I described the lack of need on the first page, but nonetheless, there is an option for a fixture on the end of the pulse chamber to allow for support if the end user desires to explore it. Cheers.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisimoto View Post
I described the lack of need on the first page, but nonetheless, there is an option for a fixture on the end of the pulse chamber to allow for support if the end user desires to explore it. Cheers.
This clown wouldn't have seen it because they are a spammer.

reported to admin.

BTW- I don't have my SC any longer but your set up sounds great!

Wayne
Old 05-14-2016, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Bisi you have stolen my anonymity. LOLz. I'm in traffic this morning on the 5 at the lower end of Camp Pendleton coming into Oceanside and a hot black mustang pulls up next to me and rolls down his window and starts screaming that he saw my car on Instagram. How crazy is that?!!! 10,000+ hits.

And ya, Elayne loves it. It was her first drive since the seats and she loves them too. Go figure. I'm almost in a panic over what she's gonna think, and she was totally cool with it. Perhaps a bit more sound inside a cab than a coupe, but if she is not just fine with it, but cool with it, then man, Bisi, this thing is good to go.

Last edited by douglas bray; 05-14-2016 at 08:35 PM..
Old 05-14-2016, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mac View Post
I believe the smaller pipe is the pulse chamber and therefore not open ended.
It is a helmholtz resonator and they are indeed closed on the end. I think we mean the same thing. They cancel out specific frequencies of sound.
https://youtu.be/8lXP-NEdNkU?t=2m10s

This design is crazy interesting to me, given I was under the impression that an open exhaust only gives you 10hp. The dyno results here are impressive. 5lbs muffler giving near 17hp gains?!?! Were the gains combined with ECU tunes also? I will re-read as my first impression was that ECU tunes were not part of the recorded gains (i.e. gains were all muffler). Would be very interested in a volume comparison to say a dual out dansk sport.
2016 Ford Focus RS

Last edited by gliding_serpent; 05-14-2016 at 09:29 PM..
Old 05-14-2016, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas bray View Post
When he found out I had multiple ECU's and several different programs on my "Multi-Board" chip he offered me dyno time in exchange for data. He said it isn't often guys have this many chip combinations they can switch among on the fly. We switched from map to map to map to map...... Absolute blast.

The gains were huge. This was a very conservative dyno and in my head the numbers were not impressive.....until I saw the gains we were making with the changes in the mapping and the PC. The better map and the Pulse Chamber added more than 19.6 HP at the wheels. Sorry, but that is huge.
I understand that the last of the 911 chips can hold multiple maps on one chip, but how do you switch on the fly? I thought of a similar solution based on the gas I opted to put in the car (or if I capped, or uncapped one of my muffler tips). In the end I figured it was best to just optimize 91 octane (Sal Carceller sold me on that after some discussions).
2016 Ford Focus RS
Old 05-14-2016, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Bisi you have stolen my anonymity. LOLz. I'm in traffic this morning on the 5 at the lower end of Camp Pendleton coming into Oceanside and a hot black mustang pulls up next to me and rolls down his window and starts screaming that he saw my car on Instagram. How crazy is that?!!! 10,000+ hits.

And ya, Elayne loves it. It was her first drive since the seats and she loves them too. Go figure. I'm almost in a panic over what she's gonna think, and she was totally cool with it. Perhaps a bit more sound inside a cab than a coupe, but if she is not just fine with it, but cool with it, then man, Bisi, this thing is good to go.

My pleasure, sir, and thanks for the kind words. Enjoy! Cheers.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliding_serpent View Post
This design is crazy interesting to me, given I was under the impression that an open exhaust only gives you 10hp. The dyno results here are impressive. 5lbs muffler giving near 17hp gains?!?! Were the gains combined with ECU tunes also? I will re-read as my first impression was that ECU tunes were not part of the recorded gains (i.e. gains were all muffler). Would be very interested in a volume comparison to say a dual out dansk sport.
The design is more than just sound wave cancellation. When designed properly, the reflective waves can combine increasing scavenging...pronounced only in a limited RPM range. A similar phenomenon occurs in intake designs, resulting in inertial supercharging in naturally aspirated vehicles.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Bisi something like this for SSIs?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads22/image1394927850.jpg

Current - 75 911 Carrera #144, modified
Sold - 67 911T Coupe racecar, 87 911 Cabriolet, 85 911 Targa, 98 Boxster, 95 993 Coupe, 88 911 Cabriolet

Last edited by J-Mac; 05-15-2016 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-15-2016, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:

Doug, can you share your thoughts on your 18 hour road trip results?
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 05-15-2016, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The design is more than just sound wave cancellation. When designed properly, the reflective waves can combine increasing scavenging...pronounced only in a limited RPM range. A similar phenomenon occurs in intake designs, resulting in inertial supercharging in naturally aspirated vehicles.
That would explain the gains over open exhaust, and the angle of the resonance chamber to the outlet? Very cool design either way. Very outside the box scientific thinking.
2016 Ford Focus RS
Old 05-15-2016, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Looks like I need to post all the dyno graphs. My gains were closer to 29 RWHP at 6,200 RPM. We started with a DME that Rusnak gave me several years ago. Its a 24 pin chip from an early 3,2 so it has a conservative map burned on it. It the one that went back in the car for our last dyno pull to see how it did with the Pulse Chamber, it's the one that did the burn out, it's the one that went to San Diego yesterday.

I also still have my stock, 28 pin DME that came in the car. Installed on it is one of Russell Berry's .... MAXhpkit Porsche Performance Products

Russell Berry Multi-board in 30min or less - Rennlist Discussion Forums

MaxHPKit milti-board from back in the day. On it are several different maps. One is my stock '88 map (November '87 build) (some folks say it's the Clubsport map) and three other maps Russell called 91, 92, and 93 octaine, each with differing levels of AFR and timing advance. Bisi said he could hear some pinging on the 93 map so he got out of it and went directly to the 91 octane map. IIRC the results at 6,200 rpm were the same on both maps. In all honesty my butt dyno likes the 93 map, but my butt dyno didn't own the dyno...

Anyway, with the "Milti-board" we can switch maps just by flipping a switch. I helped Russell test it out back in the day and ended up with a couple of them. Seems to me that Ed Hughes also got one. I don't have that DME in the car because sometimes it takes a second tap of the key to fire. Even with my stock chip on the DME it has an issue.

Now to the drive. Cruising at 2,800 - 3,200 RPM it is almost silent. Rag top up, Windows down, it is almost Un-noticeable. Drop it into fourth and put your foot down and you are soon at 125 and enjoying what sounds to me like a turbocharged WRX but without the rice. Very deep tone...surprisingly deep. Gloriously brash. Never gotten so many thumbs up. Actually does sound like I bolted on a turbo. The gurgle and pop on decel is intoxicating.... Just like a turbo. And guys, sadly, my wife, after seven kids and a stressful job, weighs as much as I do so all of the cars weight savings are utilized to their fullest when she is in the car....that said, it was still like holding onto a rocket.

Over all the sound isn't too loud. No idea what the science is, to me it was just such a crazy idea I had to bolt it on and see what happened. Idle is deep and raspy. It continues to put out sound all the way through hard acceleration, but not stupid loud, but certainly a few people on the sidewalk did look at us and give us the thumbs up. Not a single cross look while revving it up on PCH and surrounding surface streets.

Ask FormulaRX what my car is like. :roflmao: poor guy has a 964. He about wet his shorts last night.

OK, now I gotta go put wheel bearings and axles in in my sister in law's Sienna.

Last edited by douglas bray; 05-15-2016 at 07:41 AM..
Old 05-15-2016, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

I know I am hijacking the thread, but you gotta check this out. I went ahead and made the car an Instagram. Account. The car's name and the Instagram account are "roqxzanna" and I just posted a video of the first pull with the Pulse Chamber. Bisi yells "OH MY GOD" and I forget to shut off the camera. He goes on to repeat himself a few time in disbelief. Cool stuff. I'll try to figure out how to post a link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFbsRBgHVbz/

Last edited by douglas bray; 05-15-2016 at 08:33 AM..
Old 05-15-2016, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Looks like I need to post all the dyno graphs. My gains were closer to 29 RWHP at 6,200 RPM. We started with a DME that Rusnak gave me several years ago. Its a 24 pin chip from an early 3,2 so it has a conservative map burned on it. It the one that went back in the car for our last dyno pull to see how it did with the Pulse Chamber, it's the one that did the burn out, it's the one that went to San Diego yesterday.

I also still have my stock, 28 pin DME that came in the car. Installed on it is one of Russell Berry's .... MAXhpkit Porsche Performance Products

Russell Berry Multi-board in 30min or less - Rennlist Discussion Forums

MaxHPKit milti-board from back in the day. On it are several different maps. One is my stock '88 map (November '87 build) (some folks say it's the Clubsport map) and three other maps Russell called 91, 92, and 93 octaine, each with differing levels of AFR and timing advance. Bisi said he could hear some pinging on the 93 map so he got out of it and went directly to the 91 octane map. IIRC the results at 6,200 rpm were the same on both maps. In all honesty my butt dyno likes the 93 map, but my butt dyno didn't own the dyno...

Anyway, with the "Milti-board" we can switch maps just by flipping a switch. I helped Russell test it out back in the day and ended up with a couple of them. Seems to me that Ed Hughes also got one. I don't have that DME in the car because sometimes it takes a second tap of the key to fire. Even with my stock chip on the DME it has an issue.

Now to the drive. Cruising at 2,800 - 3,200 RPM it is almost silent. Rag top up, Windows down, it is almost Un-noticeable. Drop it into fourth and put your foot down and you are soon at 125 and enjoying what sounds to me like a turbocharged WRX but without the rice. Very deep tone...surprisingly deep. Gloriously brash. Never gotten so many thumbs up. Actually does sound like I bolted on a turbo. The gurgle and pop on decel is intoxicating.... Just like a turbo. And guys, sadly, my wife, after seven kids and a stressful job, weighs as much as I do so all of the cars weight savings are utilized to their fullest when she is in the car....that said, it was still like holding onto a rocket.

Over all the sound isn't too loud. No idea what the science is, to me it was just such a crazy idea I had to bolt it on and see what happened. Idle is deep and raspy. It continues to put out sound all the way through hard acceleration, but not stupid loud, but certainly a few people on the sidewalk did look at us and give us the thumbs up. Not a single cross look while revving it up on PCH and surrounding surface streets.

Ask FormulaRX what my car is like. :roflmao: poor guy has a 964. He about wet his shorts last night.

OK, now I gotta go put wheel bearings and axles in in my sister in law's Sienna.
More thread hikacking: My multiboard switcher broke a while ago and ive tried over and over to get a hold of Russell and have had no luck. Sent emails, called. Not normally a big deal but its stuck on 93 octane and theres none around my cabin.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

^^^ Canada, ah? There in lies the problem.

Huh. I got him to pick up two days in a row this week. Said he's been just riding his Harley and doing backflips at the trampoline park.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Quote:
I know I am hijacking the thread
Yea, you are.
Just kidding, post away man. Your results are awesome. My intent for this thread was to share this awesome exhaust and the man behind the design. I'm happy it's gaining a lot of interest here!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Sturmvogel

Quote:
It is painfully obvious that I should design a unit for the ssi assembly.
I can't help you with the test chassis, because I am nowhere near you, but I am also interested in what you can do for those of us with SSIs.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
, Saw their trailer while having lunch in Gardena

Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-18-2016, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
It is painfully obvious that I should design a unit for the ssi assembly. I would need a chassis with those heat exchangers for a couple of weeks, as it is a painstaking and long process. Anyone local to the Ontario California area, who could assist?
Bummer nobody local can help. I am sure Bisi would cut a deal for the donor ....

Current - 75 911 Carrera #144, modified
Sold - 67 911T Coupe racecar, 87 911 Cabriolet, 85 911 Targa, 98 Boxster, 95 993 Coupe, 88 911 Cabriolet
Old 05-18-2016, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Bisi,

What kind of performance increases can a person with 78-83 SC experience?
I have a 78 SC with a cat bypass. Obviously, I can't dial in electronics like later models.

Thanks,

joe
Old 05-20-2016, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mac View Post
Bummer nobody local can help. I am sure Bisi would cut a deal for the donor ....
I would do more than a deal.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: