Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
Question Brake Piston Dust Covers... What's the Trick?

I can't seem to get the dust cover to click in on the caliper side. Under the red circle is a layer of rubber and then a metal band. How can I get that metal band on to the caliper? What's the trick to getting those to seat?

Old 05-20-2016, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Are these the rears?

If so, yeah a real PITA.

I ended up bending over ever other barb to allow it to finally get on the channel-less pistons.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-20-2016, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I also bend every third one down and have never had a problem including some decent track time. Some will use a jar cap or PVC pipe that matches the correct diameter and then push it on. I was never successful doing that so I moved on to plan B and have never had a problem.
There's nothing better than: Listening to "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad" ,as I, "Go Down the Road Feeling Bad"
Old 05-20-2016, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
I tried the cap and PVC too, just tears the boot
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-20-2016, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
Yeah these are the rears... sigh. My fingers hurt. Ok ill bend things tomorrow...
Old 05-20-2016, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
OK I now declare that this job is the biggest pain in the ass I have ever had to do in owning this car since 1996! It even beats doing the alignment by string 100 times! Everything is easy easy until putting that damn dust cover back on. There must be some obscure tool I have to buy that will make this easy for me. It is probably uber expensive and only available from some European web site...
Old 05-21-2016, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
So, no joy?
PCA/POC
Old 05-21-2016, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I use a flat blade screw driver and insert it between the ends of the metal ring on the bench to spread the gap. Then carefully set the metal ring in position over the rubber dust seal and push down with your fingers. Pull the screw driver out and double check to make sure it is seated. A little tricky buy seems to work for me!

Old 05-21-2016, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: