Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gorgeous! They would look soooo good in a SC, specifically a '79SC
Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
...walking foot machine on craigslist for $150
You're definitely expert at more than fixing machines... seats are excellent Mark. I can appreciate forms, lines and perpendiculars-of-pattern you manage---not a simple matter to get it all in order. Really well done.

$150... I priced commercial walkers out for ten times (that and said F it.) Will look again before starting next seat.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Garage
Been waiting on 2 hardware upgrades... they just arrived. Needle bore size is bumped up 1 notch (from 110/18 to 120/19). Purpose being to hopefully eliminate skipped stitches---more to the point the work entailed to hand-correct those f'rs. Next, went from static foot to "walker foot." Just tested it. Major difference in leather management---no longer have to pull leather from behind machine while guiding it at front. These moves are made based on Mark's input. Once again... TY Marko!

Static foot.

Walker. With this gizmo added on... there's now a gripper to pull top layer of leather in sync with bottom layer.

Can get on with 2nd seat now. Will keep track of time. Goal being to go from uncut hides to ready-to-install seat within 8 hours.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Project Addicted

I'm very late to the amazing thread!!! Excellent work and you are an inspiration.

The stapler that you mention early on is a standard clinch stapler used on insulation board, etc...

https://www.stapleheadquarters.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=T6-6OC2&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxLC9BRDb1dP8o7Op68IBEiQAwWggQOrWokTX B3g4zNjcQbV8usyK1xzYXd6q70CtTU-eomoaAuae8P8HAQ

1966 912
1976 911 3.4 Backdate Project
1986 944
Old 08-11-2016, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Another piece of upholstery puzzle added. TY Jon!

Old 08-11-2016, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Garage
I didn't think such work was possible from sctach by guys at home. Looks like you were trained for decades in Florence by old bearded master artisans! Like a pair of Churches (Church's?) shoes, although that connotes London, not Italy...or Stuttgart. Ditto Marko's Pascha. Hats off to both you dudes...John in CT.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to ya John in CT! (Been to Lime Rock... racing carts in the high track with my son. Toooo much fun. Beautiful country there.)

Old 08-11-2016, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aavidvid View Post
So where did you find the vat dyed leather?
Tandy Leather.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

So how ya doin' on the project Karl??
Old 09-04-2016, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

What would you guys chg to make a set of covers for sport seats?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
So how ya doin' on the project Karl??
Mark... I took a detour to redo my AC system. Perfect timing as the absence of 1 seat from the car makes for the space needed to haul stuff around as I need to at this moment. The AC project has now morphed into an Arduino project---a digital AC control system.

AC Black Death... it's all good (sorta)

All the subtle little tricks to the cover making... I've surly forgotten. For anyone diving into this, best to make the second cover immediately after first so as not to forget the what, how, why, and when tricks.

As soon as my AC is sorted... am back onto making the second cover. I've done just a little testing with the walking foot. Big difference in leather handling!

Last edited by Discseven; 10-02-2016 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: AC link added
Old 09-28-2016, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecarlover View Post
What would you guys chg to make a set of covers for sport seats?
Vint... appreciate the interest and query. I stick my nose into this is for the sheer gratification of exploring how to work with new materials. Once I'm done here, am onto completely new challenge.

Perhaps Mark is commercially interested.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Quote:
All the subtle little tricks to the cover making... I've surly forgotten. For anyone diving into this, best to make the second cover immediately after first so as not to forget the what, how, why, and when tricks.
Exactly right Karl !!!
If I haven't done a cover for awhile, I'd forget about some important detail and end up making the same mistake over again. Started a notebook of things not to forget, but then I'd forget to look at the notebook. Writing notes directly on the patterns seemed to work pretty well.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Exactly right Karl !!!
If I haven't done a cover for awhile, I'd forget about some important detail and end up making the same mistake over again. Started a notebook of things not to forget, but then I'd forget to look at the notebook. Writing notes directly on the patterns seemed to work pretty well.
Notes on patterns is excellent idea Mark!

Old 10-01-2016, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Wink

AC Arduino project* is in holding pattern due to relay challenges. While waiting on parts... second seat is started.

Been long time since I've seen this. Put seat into position I prefer years ago and forgot about it being electric. Good news = top of seat appears to match first. Bad news = bottom definitely does not match. Front, sides and seat belt mount are different compared to manual seat.... and leather's already been cut for a manual seat. Not sure yet what implications are.

Same dried out, stressed plastic trim as first seat.

Cushion appears a match to first but if off only slightly... not good. Will compared to dimensions of first seat before getting too far into this.

Different cover construction---there's no padding in this cover. Instead, there's thin layer of felt (on both center and bolsters.) Glue that used to hold laminated layers together has dried, separated and discolored.

Without burlap or similar barrier below cushion... cushion grinds on support springs... and sheds.

Frame is spotted with rust-starts. Will apply reformer.

* Arduino - Digital AC control system for '80 911

Last edited by Discseven; 12-15-2016 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Simplify text
Old 12-13-2016, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Garage
Reducing backrest thickness by about 1". Idea is to get more "bucket" out of backrest. Thick line is stock foam thickness. Thinner line(s) is where new backrest will be.

Laminating: 2 felt pads, foam at bottom, and outer cushioning pad that leather cover is attached to.

Velcro was used in prior seat to secure backrest to frame. Going to try no securing in this seat---leaving it a friction fit.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Hey Uncle Karl, since you are back to hittin' yer seat (), I thought you might enjoy some easy listening, instrumental tuneage to stitch by!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 12-20-2016 at 08:06 PM..
Old 12-20-2016, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Garage
Is fine shredabiatch musac Rono... way to pick'em. TY Yaya... Almost done with leathermania program. Will post latest pics in a day or two. Been busy with 930 over the winter---not much of a winter to speak of here in the swamp. Perhaps you noticed same in Norfland.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Yep, Uncle Karlicious - we had two, very brief "cold snaps" here (talking about 2-3 days each, max) and some weather in the 50s from time to time, but many record high days with ungodly humidity throughout the entire "winter" (like all this week with highs approaching 90 and nighttime lows in the upper 60s). Definitely makes all the time an effort put in to learning about, and working on, home an auto a/c to be more than worth it!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
...Definitely makes all the time an effort put in to learning about, and working on, home an auto a/c to be more than worth it!
Indeed Rono. Will be picking up my AC project shortly---am waiting for "hot" to arrive.

Bottom of #2 seat in progress...

Have laminated bottom-azz cover to padding... and forgot to place stabilizer material (Sunbrella) between them. Will leave as is to see how cover works out. (Line closer to padding is stitch marker line. Outer line is cut line. Keeping that dimension consistent throughout project is what makes chit fit.)

Without stabilizer, there’s more “puff” to rows. There’s also more stretch front-to-rear. Not so much side-to-side (because of the stitching.)

Is risky business to assume the same model seats have the same dimensions. Am test fitting bottom here and just discovered a significant difference between seat #1 and #2 towards the front of the seat. Will have to open stitching, cut off material, and restitch to make right. (Gotta test fit. Alternative is potluck.)

Cardboard template for bolster pulldown. Crevice dimensions here are same as #1. Did make #1 pull downs a bit short so that seat set up tightly. Will lengthen all pulldowns 1/8"+ for seat #2. (Turns out to be good idea.)

Being an electric seat bottom, it has two motors with cables running to gear housings located at each corner. (Weight of electric seat bottom = 35 lbs.) Because of the location of the forward gearboxes, the bolster pulldown in this electric bottom cannot be as long as those in a manual bottom---can't get hog plier full forward due to gearbox. Above you can see the distance between seat’s front and where the pull begins. That few inches of covering being without tension does not work well---the leather deforms slightly in that area. Mark made on foam is where extra pull will be added (on both sides.)

Added pulldown (one each side) dives down ahead of gearbox. These straps will pull straight down... bend around a soft corner of the frame... then be secured to the serpentine.

Just checked “Mark’s red zones” (bolster area just inside brackets.) These needed attention to smooth out when doing seat #1. Because foam in red zone area here (seat #2) is “prouder” compared to #1, this red zone works nicely with no special attention.

Socket for seat’s electric controls (left side of this seat.) Two black screws secure control panel and trim plate to seat. (Electric switch plate has an "umbrella" up-side to protect switches from water getting behind switch plate.)

Backrest tilt lever's mount is on this seat’s right side. While this seat bottom could install for a passenger, is not a good idea. Reason: when tilt lever is mounted, that lever’s a hook that snags things exiting the cabin. Best to use bottom with right-side tilt lever as driver's bottom.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: