Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Full grain leather seat covers in the making

Touch of background: been patching installed seats for years. Postpones inevitable very nicely but have to progressively embrace quilted look. Checked out kit covers but personally, plated leather is not my cup of tea---no offense to those who love it! Went to upholsterer with spare full grain seats hoping for a nice fix. Amazing waste of time. Considered one piece buckets. Economical... And love the racy look! But for a daily driver---’80 Targa---Peli bro talked me out of them. TY! Attempted to salvage old leather as a last resort… all too far gone to make this a good choice. So here we are… 4 half-hides in hand. (EDIT: Am going through and editing/updating based on having done 1st seat. 6 half hides are used for seat set due to change in templates. Change improves seat construction at expense of hide efficiency.)

Passenger’s seat bottom before cover was removed. I’ll admit, this comes from a lack of necessary care. (Am much better with car's filters.) May be wrong but believe true leather will last a lifetime if well cared for. New covers will go on same care schedule as filters.

Plan to follow construct and original design of these seats as much as possible. Some deviations are inevitable due to my resources compared to Recaro's (who I believe made these for Porsche.) Below, a look at how the bottom cushion pull-downs are configured.

Bottom cushion. Brother Jim, if you’re looking in on this, I agree it looks original. How it stayed in such nice condition all these years = amazing. (Take the roof off a Targa and it doubles as a pick up. At least mine does. I’ve had all sorts of stuff on these seats!)

Next... going to take cover apart at seams. Will template each section. Then shrink template a few percent before cutting leather.

To be continued…

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.

Last edited by Discseven; 08-01-2016 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: Updates
Old 06-08-2016, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Haute Damn!
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.2 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 06-08-2016, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You are a brave man. I think that Autos International or Lakewell sell the foam pieces cut to original specification. It may be advisable to start with new foam, as the old stuff starts to decompose.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ No prisoners taken here.

RS... appreciate note on foam...TY. All foam here is haute damm in near pristine condition. Will shoot close up... just for you.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
+1 these Recaro/Audi foam is pretty hardy unless worn thru the bolsters.

Just make sure you gets some good batting ( liner ) since you are going raw.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.2 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 06-08-2016, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Sending leather to World Up for perf'ing. Their "Euro Perf" is Porsche match for these seats. Cost is $30 per piece.

Based on fastener appearances, I'm first one inside here since seat was made. Would be great if someone could accurately date this seat model. Not sure if I showed seat. Will post pic if not.

Side bolsters are attached to frame via hogs. There's a flap over that area on both sides to prevent seeing it. Nice touch. Work load increasing at every turn.

Back side of back rest. Only staples hold backrest leather to foam. There was a touch of glue placed on front side---guessing that was to set position.

Assuming these are '80'ish seats... the quality of this foam is obscene.

Last edited by Discseven; 06-08-2016 at 06:36 PM..
Old 06-08-2016, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Jim... original batting is just like the foam---in excellent condition. Where there is no batting on back rest and bottom cushion, those areas get a foam backing attached to the leather. Only areas Recaro did not batt are on bolster's sides.

Last edited by Discseven; 06-08-2016 at 06:35 PM..
Old 06-08-2016, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So where did you find the vat dyed leather?
foam looks great
Old 06-08-2016, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
So where did you find the vat dyed leather?
foam looks great
Tandy Leather is company. They're in the southeast with a handfull of stores. I deal with Fort Lauderdale outlet.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Anyone know the year(s) of this seat?

Old 06-08-2016, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Un Canadien Errant

Garage
Very brave discseven, following with interest!

Are those 'regular' seats vs 'sport' seats? I've often wondered if you could just buy new sport seat bolsters, and convert normals to sports while you were recovering. The disadvantage would be that you don't have a pattern to work from.

Really interesting to see that the top back centre section is completely separate from the sides. I had thought it was a big 'sleeve' that you slid on from the top - and could never work out how that would work. Your pics are fantastic.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
85-88 standard 5" bolster seats
PCA/POC
Old 06-08-2016, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldente295 View Post
Very brave discseven, following with interest!

Are those 'regular' seats vs 'sport' seats? I've often wondered if you could just buy new sport seat bolsters, and convert normals to sports while you were recovering. The disadvantage would be that you don't have a pattern to work from.

Really interesting to see that the top back centre section is completely separate from the sides. I had thought it was a big 'sleeve' that you slid on from the top - and could never work out how that would work. Your pics are fantastic.
Alan... Good to have you tag along on this challenge---surly much will be learned along the way (at least by moron me.) These are regular... not sports seats. Sports ('79 as I'm familiar with them) are constructed significantly different than these seats. They're simpler with a more beefy frame. Having seen sport frames and these... I'd not attempt a mod of regular seats to fit sport foam. I'd get junk sports and have at'em.

Top cover... that could be considered "half sleeve" because... front of that cover only has material that warps around bolsters. The only true sleeve section is headrest area.

Last edited by Discseven; 07-01-2016 at 11:54 PM..
Old 06-09-2016, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
85-88 standard 5" bolster seats
Adds enlightenment to my ride Brother Jim... TY.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Seat's top cover including center backrest is unitized as it comes off frame.

With center backrest removed.

Foam liner attached with glue to center backrest. Same stuff is on bottom cushion. Looks like stitched rows in these parts serve to stabilize the leather.

Top's parts.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Looking at some details...

Piping. Not going to mess with this---don't see my machine and operator's ability to get this nicely positioned all around. Will come up with alternative to trim edge out.

Thread color. Believe original color was white. This is now grey. Black on black is plan.

Pull downs for hog rings are all a woven fabric except where backrest's side bolsters are concerned. There, wire runs through a leather fold with holes given for the hogs.

Flap covering bolster hog rings.

Seam between bolster and headrest. Back side has material backing--same stuff used for pull downs.

Backrest's perf'ed surface including foam backing does not wrap around backrest's foam. Am tempted to pass on connecting this added/non-perf'ed piece and just wrap the front to the back. Have to remember to make this center piece slightly wider to fit better between bolsters---it shrunk over time leaving a slight gap around perimeter.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Old covering is being worked today. Material is being cut off at seam. (EDIT: This is done in order to create template for stitch line.)

Backrest foam is in good condition except for the fact that is has shrunk... leaving a significant gap between it and bolsters. Will adjust this...

1" addition test...

To improve access to backrest section, plan is to make it independent from rest of covering. Velcro woven through these wires and Velcro attached to back of backrest (with gel epoxy) may be an answer. (EDIT: It does work.) This requires a few feet of Velcro, 4 staples, and some gel epoxy. If you can simplify solution here... bring it on! Bear in mind that goal is for rest of top cover to remain in place on frame. This being the case, there is no accessing back side as we see it here (because back cover will be over this area when it's installed.*)

* The way stock back covering is designed, in order to remove it... bottom corner trim has to be removed, release cables disconnected, and frames parted from each other. In other words, this has to be done to remove the center backrest section. Alternative would be to cut backrest loose from rest of top covering. Doing so would leave a visible scar where surgery occurred.

To be continued...

Last edited by Discseven; 08-01-2016 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: Updates
Old 06-11-2016, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Am sorting out needed secondary materials. Here's foam liner that backs up bottom cushion and backrest. Recaro attached entire exposed foam side to back of leather. I'm concerned about spray adhesive working into foam's cells and subsequently collapsing foam over time. Will test.

Recaro's 1/2" shaft staples. They're used to attach leather to cushions throughout seat. No glue is used except to hold top of backrest cover to cushion.

Parts laid out prior to templating. Am constantly orienting myself to what goes where. Goal is to make right cuts and connections first time around. Templates = 2 foam liners and 11 for leather. Symetrical parts will use same templates flipped over. Every leather part requires 2 templates---a seam template and a leather cut template. So 22 leather templates are needed. Double templating is trick to putting parts together. I'll elaborate later in project---Without a visual... it's confusing at best.

Been thinking about pipping from project's beginning. There's still no way I'm doing this. Believe specialized equipment is necessary to keep all parts registered as they move forward through machine. To get around this but to still keep a beaded edge where pipping belongs... I've been exploring different solutions. Here's my conclusion. Looks OK and is "relatively" easy to do. Leather is intensely unforgiving.

To be continued...

Old 06-14-2016, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Hey, not bad at all, I say

Tell me about it Brother, if you use a steamer, do not let it sit on one spot too long, or it will be scorched and harden.
PCA/POC
Old 06-14-2016, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Brother Jim... TY my man. Now sounds like you're thinking that be finished, installed piece ready for steamer. No steaming gona happen with my sewjob (...confidence ...not arrogance ) That's one of a few test pieces done to sort out edging. It's not filled with anything... just prop'd up on edge of sofa.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: