Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
sun roof maintenance?

I opened the sun roof yesterday (for the first time in 3 years) and noticed the motor was having a real hard time moving.
So I assume it needs maintenance. But what? I don't want oil (or WD40) getting on the head liner - so what is safe procedure?
Can I get access through the head liner zip, or from outside? I hope this is simple and not a total demolition job! All help appreciated.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
There is a good tech article on the site and in the 101 projects. It is a good start for cleaning and diagnosing.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Entire sun roof system comes apart in less than half an hour. If it's been sitting for years... probably a good idea to look into it. Besides cleaning and lubricating cables, and checking motor (run it without cables and see how it sounds. Should be brisk sound.... not struggling)... Once roof section is out, look to the back inside sunroof's cavity and you'll see the roof's drain holes... unless they're plugged up. They're in teh corners. They probably need to be reamed clean. Motor is accessed through zipper. As I recall, there's a release of some sort by motor that allows cables to come out. Some do not like lubricating these cables. I do. Red grease. Surly other lubes will work. Don't use white s***. It dries up and turns to cake. Clean electric terminals. Will be glad to tell you how to take roof off over phone---much easier than writing instructions out. (PM me.) Or, perhaps they're in the forum somewhere. This is a simple project---don't let it intimidate.

Will post some pics if I can find them. EDIT: No pics.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.

Last edited by Discseven; 06-13-2016 at 01:12 PM..
Old 06-13-2016, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest

Removal of roof section is simple, maybe this will help

Sagging sunroofliner repar

Kees
Old 06-14-2016, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
Entire sun roof system comes apart in less than half an hour. If it's been sitting for years... probably a good idea to look into it. Besides cleaning and lubricating cables, and checking motor (run it without cables and see how it sounds. Should be brisk sound.... not struggling)... Once roof section is out, look to the back inside sunroof's cavity and you'll see the roof's drain holes... unless they're plugged up. They're in teh corners. They probably need to be reamed clean. Motor is accessed through zipper. As I recall, there's a release of some sort by motor that allows cables to come out. Some do not like lubricating these cables. I do. Red grease. Surly other lubes will work. Don't use white s***. It dries up and turns to cake. Clean electric terminals. Will be glad to tell you how to take roof off over phone---much easier than writing instructions out. (PM me.) Or, perhaps they're in the forum somewhere. This is a simple project---don't let it intimidate.

Will post some pics if I can find them. EDIT: No pics.
Have PM'd you. Thanks
Old 06-17-2016, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Spumato
You will probably want to upgrade the cabling to 964 cables for improvement in operation and longevity.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: