Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gordo's Stereo Install

After owning my 911SC Targa for over 13 years, I've finally caved and decided to put in some tunes.

My car had a cheap Kenwood cassette player/head unit (dual knob), blown rear 4x6 speakers and no door speakers (removed and pitched when I installed RS panels ~ 12 years ago). I've been making spring and fall road trips from VA to OH (all country backroads), and decided it was time add some variety and accompanyment to my loud exhaust muzak.

The components:
-SiriusXM portable radio (Onyx Plus)
-Pioneer MVH-X560BT head unit (digital media receiver)
-Pioneer GM-A4604 amp (4 channel ~ 40w RMS x 4)
-JL Audio TR650-CXi 6.5" coax door/front speakers
-Polk Audio db461p 4x6" plate rear deck speakers
-Kenwood KSC‑SW11 low profile "subwoofer" (ordered to go under the driver's seat)

Head Unit Selection & Installation

I wanted a more retro looking head unit, but opted for price and features (the MVH-X560BT was only ~$90 bucks... RetroSound is cool but the price is whacked).

Since I'm a SiriusXM fanatic, I wanted a head unit that had rear Aux input (don't like wires hanging from the dash). Preferred rear USB as well. This limited head unit options extensively. Also wanted a head unit with front, rear and sub pre-out's. This combo pretty much narrowed selection to a couple of Pioneer units.

The head unit install was easy / straight forward once I cleaned up the spaghetti mess of wires that the previous owner left from his stereo install (it was truly unbelievable - I should have taken photos).

I spent nearly a day under the dash (driver's seat removed so I could lay down) - tracing wires, removing stuff and zip-tieing . The worst offense I found was how the head unit was originally wired for power - a wire was run from the glovebox light (hot), through the glovebox latch hole, and down to the head unit... . No idea how I never previously noticed the wire run through the glovebox latch hole.

Since I'm running an external amp, the preamp RCA lines and speaker wires all run through an existing hole in the firewall, directly behind the head unit up to the trunk - no speaker wire rats nest behind the head unit, everything's nice and tidy.

For you weight watchers, the head unit is tiny (which also provides excellent maneuver space for wiring):

Speaker's and Installation:

Rear Speakers

The 4x6's weren't really necessary for the audio quality but it was new speakers or reupholstering the rear deck to delete the holes. I opted for new speakers.

My rear deck already had 4x6" speakers, so the install was relatively straight forward. The Polk plates didn't quite fit into the metal backing plate that is mounted to the rear deck - the backing plate is aluminum so I massaged it a bit / removed interference points with a Dremel.

The existing speaker covers/grills were craptastic (warped and cracked). Polk didn't provide covers with the speakers and the ones they sold were utterly obnoxious... I found some plain looking 4x6 speaker covers at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Pair-Inches-Car-Speaker-Grills/dp/B004AHFXKG. Solid quality cover - good to go.

Installed:

Front Speakers

I bought the door speaker spacers from Pelican "Coilerman" Door speaker spacers. Could have made something cheaper, but didn't feel like re-inventing the wheel.

Speaker Wire to the Driver's Door - The Agony of Victory

The passenger door had an existing speaker wire run to the door - no such luck on the driver's side (I found part of the existing wire snapped off up in the driver's footwell area - Hmmn, what's that ).

Some people remove the door to run a new wire, I managed to get one there without, but it involved 3-4 beers, squeezing my hands in small sharp edged places and plenty of foul words (I forgot how screwed up / inaccessable the front deck lid lower shock/lift mount is - removed it for greater access to the interior side of the door jamb).

Working from the trunk, you can snake a wire through the existing grommet and get at it in the door jamb, then feed it (with a long needle nose pliers) into the door grommet. Not easy but do-able.

Speaker wire taped to a piece of 12 AWG solid core (stripped from a piece of household wire):

I added some sheathing to a section of the speaker wire to provide some protection in the door jamb - not sure if it will help, but seemed better than just leaving the exposed speaker wire (and I had the materials on hand):

Cutting My Lovely RS Panels

Love the clean look of the RS panels - it's part of what kept me from installing a stereo all these years.

You only get one shot at getting your speaker placement cuts correctly located on the door panels... Off center speaker holes simply aren't cool.

With the speaker spacers installed, I had a sip of courage and went at it.

The RS panel had an existing (but covered) hole for a 5" speaker. I cut the material to open the hole and remounted the panel with the panel clips (to position the panel). Once the panel was positioned, I was able to reach through the hole that I cut, and outline the speaker spacer hole on the back side of the RS panel with a silver sharpie:

Worked out great. I cut the panel with a razor blade (the card feels like plastic but it's actually a permeated/coated cardboard material).

Amp Installation

Inspired by this: Radio delete + MP3 but mine won't turn out quite as detailed or nice...

Here's my roughed in version:

---------------------------------------

That's too many words for anyone (especially me) to read in a single thread, so I'll stop.

Roughed in and fired up - it sounds awesome. Not sure if the Kenwood's going to add much, but will see.

Will add installed photo's as I wrap things up.

Enjoy - feel free to hit me with any questions on the components or the install.

Gordo

Last edited by Gordo2; 07-03-2016 at 10:39 AM..
Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Got any pics of that deck in the dash?

I think you made a good choice on deck, by the way. I've got a Retrosound. It looks almost "right" but doesn't sound as good as some less-expensive head units. I keep considering replacing it with something else.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanaudical View Post
Got any pics of that deck in the dash?
Sure...

More install progress today - less words, more photo's:

Full Dash View:

Close Up with Sirius XM Radio Mounted

The Pioneer's faceplate is removable, but can be screwed in / mounted so it can't be detached without yanking out the whole head unit. I opted to screw mount mine.

Backside Wiring (spacious)

I bound the unused wires on the head unit's wire harness/connector (speaker outputs) with heat shrink and tucked them up and out of the way in order to keep things tidy.

Night Shot (haven't tried to figure out the display options yet)

Amped Up

--------------------------------

A Note on Sound Quality

No surprise, but the quality of the input source (amount of compression) has a huge impact on the sound quality.

Night and day listening to good quality MP3's vs. SiriusXM. MP3's are crisp with solid mid's using nearly any of the preset EQ settings - the Sirius took quite a bit of EQ adjustments (custom settings) to get acceptable sound quality (but still not as defined as the MP3's).

Only thing left to install is the Kenwood sub.

Fun stuff - haven't done stuff like this since I was a teen, I'm much better at it now .

Gordo
Old 07-03-2016, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'm looking forward to doing a similar setup this summer in my Targa. I've got a Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT and Clarion amp to use. The amp is small enough to to hide under the dash and still puts out 50wx4. I plan to use Infinity 6.5" in the front and 4x6 in the rear.

Clarion XC1410 Compact 4-channel amplifier ó 50 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com
Old 07-03-2016, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have a question. Why did you opt for separate XM control unit? 99% of HU's now can control a XM module that is hidden and one less thing cluttering the cabin. I understand doing that if you're keeping the original radio and want XM but not if your replacing it.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sirius XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan View Post
I have a question. Why did you opt for separate XM control unit?...
I use the XM unit in other vehicles, docked in my garage and at work. Subscriptions are per device - I pay for one, but get a lot of listening out of it...

Agree though, the integrated XM features are getting much better on newer head units and it provides a cleaner setup - a great option, but wouldn't get much use in poorer weather (I'm a fair weather driver).

Gordo
Old 07-04-2016, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
You'll like the sub. Makes a nice improvement to the bass.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Agree with joe payne on Kenwood Sub.....major sound improvement.

You will love it...... but plan on experimenting with the vol/filtering settings on the sub controller - especially if you don't plan on mounting it where you can get to it while driving/listening to music.

JTT
Old 07-04-2016, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
The Dude abides...

Garage
Very, very nice. The extra touches (shrink tubing, cladding, coiling of wire, etc.) make all of the difference, and I know what you mean by "...I'm better at it now..." To think about how I ran the install, wiring, etc. of my car audio equipment as a youth just makes me cringe now.

Well done by you!
Old 07-05-2016, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Kenwood KSC‑SW11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe payne View Post
You'll like the sub. Makes a nice improvement to the bass.
Spot on - finally got around to installing the Kenwood sub (sorry, no photo's but the install was pretty straight forward).

It filled in nicely, adding depth to the 4 speaker setup.

I would qualify it's sound more like a good woofer vice sub - good quality bass, much more than I got out of my 6.5 door speakers, but by no means will it thump (not that I wanted that).

Driving without the sub, I had to turn the volume up relatively high to really hear the music (do you listen to Jimmy, or do you hear Jimmy... ). The high's sounded good, but it lacked in the lower / bass range. With the sub installed, I can hear and enjoy my music at much lower volume level settings - the Kenwood filled the gap.

Overall - I'm sold: a great addition for those who don't want to go all in on a full sized sub (and mono amp) setup.

Thanks folks,

Gordo

Last edited by Gordo2; 07-31-2016 at 07:17 PM..
Old 07-31-2016, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Great set up!

Any more pictures of the door speakers ��?

Thanks, Derik
Old 11-10-2017, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo2 View Post

I guess you don't expect to open your smugglers box in near future?
Old 11-10-2017, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Hey, Gordo -

Nice job! Hereís an idea for your amp mount.

I drilled holes through the metal braces for the blower cover. Then I ran a bolt through facing outward with a nylon spacer. The amp is mounted to a piece of wood which then sits over the nylon spacers. Then I used washers and wing nuts to tighten the amp panel. That way I have an easy way to move the amp if I ever need to access the smugglers box.

I also cut slits in the frunk carpet that the bolts go through. So the cover is bolted in place, then the carpet goes over it and finally the amp panel mounts over the carpet.

Pics.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Here's my set up.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Nice job - I did a very similar install this spring and totally agree that the quality of work is better now than when I was in my 20ís. The sub I used was under the passenger seat and it really lets the system pound if I want. I usually drive with the top off so on a boring highway stretch I like it loud.

Iím sure the purists will be horrified but itís never a bad idea to have a great sound system in my opinion - afterall, we can always turn it off.

Show us a sub woofer install pic.

Mark
Old 11-11-2017, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: