Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Has anyone rewire their whole 911

Im looking to rewire the whole car got some quotes and they are out of my budget. Any thoughts or tips on this? And the previous person who did work on the car didn't do a very good job the wires are hacked up

Old 07-03-2016, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Xray... someone (perhaps a few) in PPF offer complete wire harnesses. Don't know who it is. Hopefully they'll see subject line and chime in. There are also threads in here where Pelicans have documented the process of rewiring a car---excellent reference... and surly resource(s) are to be found therein. Use "Search" tool to dig for threads.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Search for "timmy2"
Old 07-03-2016, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

here you go:
Building SC and Mid Year Engine Harnesses
Old 07-03-2016, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Are you looking for the harnesses to be rebuilt, or for someone to repair and install?
Old 07-03-2016, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
You have thee choices.

Whole new harness.

Re-do what you have. If the insulation is not cracking, this may be the way to go. Get a wiring diagram and spend a week to make it right. Clean each connector, solder and heat-shrink each joint, and eliminate all the extra unused wires.

Or get a used harness and do a combination of the above.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 07-03-2016, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Formerly known as Syzygy

Soldering connections isn't always the best option. Many say that a good crimped connector is better.

Soldering often wicks the solder up the wire and stiffens it, making it susceptible to vibration damage and such. Perhaps it makes a more solid or reliable connection. Aircraft wiring requires crimped connections. This is one of the things people in the crimped camp call on.

I don't know which is better and I don't have an opinion on either, just pointing out that there are other ideas and arguments for each. Do your research.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
vote for crimping

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 07-04-2016, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proffighter View Post
vote for crimping
For the spade connectors, that is what the factory used.

However when I suggested soldering, I was thinking about splicing of wires in the harness.

Anyway, there are places where soldering will need to be done, for example the 14 pin plugs in the engine compartment.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

Search my Targa rebuild or Supercharged car or the one I am doing now. Painless harnesses suck, there are some pricy but nice stock-looking ones from vendors, or if you want lightweight, reliability and a custom install do it yourself from aircraft-type wiring connectors and fuse/relays.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 07-04-2016, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Some of the wire is stiff and cracking so I figure I pull it all out and redo it all. Plus the other person has stuff splice into other stuff. I want a clean slate to work off
Old 07-04-2016, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Updating most of the electrical system - an experiment

I rewired most of the car up in the frunk and tunnel and doors. I stripped a lot of wiring out and came up with my own power distribution scheme (not using the ignition switch as the main distribution point). I wanted reliability and wired it more like an aircraft.

I didn't like what I found in the original wiring while doing it and I am glad I did what I did.

Last edited by SpyderMike; 07-04-2016 at 06:18 PM..
Old 07-04-2016, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Not a lot of complexity in the '66. If you understand the schematics and know what you are doing it is relatively easy to repair/replace the existing wiring. Shouldn't take more than 100 hours for a novice to source all the wires, build the harness and install it
Or pay someone to have it made/repaired for you.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Not a lot of complexity in the '66. If you understand the schematics and know what you are doing it is relatively easy to repair/replace the existing wiring. Shouldn't take more than 100 hours for a novice to source all the wires, build the harness and install it
Or pay someone to have it made/repaired for you.
Yea when I looked it, it's not to hard for and some of the factory connections have been cut out. So this is why I want to make my own
Old 07-05-2016, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Timmy2 repaired my cooked front end main power and gauge harness. I removed and reinstalled it myself with his kind guidance. It was a huge job for me because I'm a noob. If you take your time and document and photograph everything including how the cables lay in the chassis it's very doable. If I can do it you can do it too. I used all factory style crimped connectors and heat shrink.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzerr View Post
Timmy2 repaired my cooked front end main power and gauge harness. I removed and reinstalled it myself with his kind guidance. It was a huge job for me because I'm a noob. If you take your time and document and photograph everything including how the cables lay in the chassis it's very doable. If I can do it you can do it too. I used all factory style crimped connectors and heat shrink.
I'll wager you had more than 100 hours in that one!
Your late '80's model Turbo has a lot more to it!
Old 07-05-2016, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

timmy2 makes great stuff and helped talk me through a tail light issue. I highly recommend whatever he says.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

FYI - Current OEM best practise is to crimp ONLY when the crimp process has been validated OR crimp and solder if the process is not validated.

Validation usually includes at (a minimum):

1. A tensile pull test
2. Section and polish of the crimp to determine robust wire distribution.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

I would certainly send it to Timmy2, you will have a hard time sourcing the correct color wiring in the quantities for one car. It will end up being cheaper and better.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
I have a few wires handy....

One side of my workbench with 26 different color combos, the other side has more...

Old 07-06-2016, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: