Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Battery acid nightmare

I had a battery failure in my 88 which spilled acid down into the crevices of the battery box. I've gone through about a pound of baking soda trying to neutralize the area, but fear because it is completely inaccessible I am just asking for problems with the suspension pan down the road.

I don't run a factory style battery anymore, and am not overly concerned about keeping things perfectly stock. What is under the battery platform if I were to cut it open or even just some access holes?

This is what I'm dealing with (that's baking soda, but shows the area I'm trying to neutralize):

Anyone have any ideas/personal experience/etc.?

Thanks for the help!

Chase

Old 07-13-2016, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
76 911S Targa

When I neutralize spilled acid I use a solution of sodium bicarbonate in water. Get a gallon jug, add a pound of sodium bicarbonate and shake well until it dissolves. You will notice the solution becomes cold as the bicarbonate dissolves. Pour the liquid into and around your battery box, let is sit for ten minutes and then rinse with cold water. If any paint has lifted off, give it a light sanding and repaint with a rattle can. I only use AGM batteries to avoid spills like this.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Okay I'll do that as well, really appreciate the input.

I was thinking I might flood the inaccessible area with some POR15 or similar, still trying to determine whether I should be cutting into it as preventative or if I'm likely okay and will neutralize it sufficiently by pouring stuff in from outside.

And yes, absolutely kicking myself I had a PC680 sitting on the shelf I just hadn't had the opportunity to install!
Old 07-13-2016, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I used an air hose to blow the baking soda solution into all the little tight spots, triple rinse with water using a shopvac to extract the water. Air hose to get the water out of the hard to reach areas and a couple of days with a fan to dry it all out.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
acid

As others have said is great ,after that, connect a hose from your hot water supply
and run it in and around that hole area for 5-10 minutes with really hot water,
then dry off after with your wifes hair dryer. The difference using hot water is unbelievable.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Your "battery failure" might have been a voltage regulator failure. Too much charge will boil the battery dry. It would be a good idea to have the charging system checked out.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Appreciate the ideas...I think I'll give everything a go and hope that helps me to avoid a more invasive approach unless anyone has any negative experiences from doing so.

Thanks a lot!

Chase

Also yes I do suspect it is voltage regulator related, thanks for the heads-up

Last edited by FJ40runr; 07-13-2016 at 07:04 PM..
Old 07-13-2016, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Autodidactic user

You probably don't need to do anything more to than just rinse it with a lot of water. If you use enough water you can neutralize battery acid fairly efficently. Battery acid is a relatively weak acid and since the goal is to simply get the pH value up to a neutral level - 6.6–7.3 - nothing more than water is necessary. Baking soda will neutralize the battery acid because it is alkaline but its probably overkill and creates its own alkaline issues that will also have to be washed of with water.

1973 911E Targa (MFI)
Old 07-14-2016, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
What is under the battery platform if I were to cut it open or even just some access holes?
Chase... I asked same question. Pop'd the two plugs and drilled a few more holes for better access. Fished a magnet inside cavity to get all loose drillings out... and a few small chunks of rust. Injected cavity with rust reformer. Cavity has some internal supporting walls---so there are chambers within it.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Exactly what I was looking for...doh I feel stupid not realizing those plugs popped out! Awesome help everyone really appreciate it, have even gotten a few pm's of further advice. With great cars always seems to come a great community! I'll post results once I get it sorted.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
There is a lot of structural connections in this area. I had to remove some rust so I cut into it the area and then rebuilt things on the way back out. I wouldn't cut into it if you do not have to and also wouldn't cut if you are not prepared and capable of welding.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: