Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 2.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Oh man, I haven't seen PuTTY in ten years. This looks well thought out and promising.

I wonder if there is room under the frunk to install the condenser, as I think I need that wheel well for another oil cooler (3.6). I wonder how much battery drain is seen above 2000rpm, as my car has a small AGM sucker. But these are are all just my problems.

Good timing, as it's just about to flip from too cold to too hot on the east coast of the US!
Ha, yes, good old PuTTY, like a favorite wrench for computer guys! Eventually it'll all be configurable by smart phone over bluetooth. Like our CDI+ boxes, the A/C ECU firmware can be updated to add features down the line.

The ECU settings are there so you can tune the system to your particular setup. In your case you have a 3.6, (presumably with the 115A alternator?), but a lower capacity battery. So you'd set the low battery threshold fairly high and the timeout short, but drive the compressor a bit harder. The compressor would cut out sooner at idle revs, but when the compressor is on it would drive the evaporator cold quicker.

It's all a juggling act but not that different to how modern stop/start cars or cars with 'eco' A/C mode work their variable displacement compressors.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)

jonny, will the condenser fit in a wheel well with LWB light boxes?

i imagine it would, but it's hard to tell from the picture on your site.

this system looks really cool...
Old 04-01-2017, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)

^. Twin battery cars can present a problem. Some folks are going to try putting the condenser in the rear fender. Will need a mount and guard. We are working on a different condenser configuration for front mount.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Though I'm a day late with this post, don't forget this important tip to make your AC work properly! 😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

PLease don't, it's a joke!

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 04-02-2017, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)

If it doesn't perform as expected how do you get your money back since it comes from England?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-l View Post
If it doesn't perform as expected how do you get your money back since it comes from England?
Are you saying the English don't give refunds?

We'll have some US outlets eventually, we are talking to a few at the moment.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #266 (permalink)
Weekend Mechanic

The document link on the previous page is broken. Here's a working link to the page for the AC. This is an exciting product! If this had come out last year I might have kept my Targa

http://www.classicretrofit.com/electrocooler-complete-kit-for-911-1974--1989/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Ok, guys, some more info in the pdf on this page:

Electrocooler A/C kit for 911 (deposit only) - Classic Retrofit

We are also open for deposits.

Last edited by vulcan300; 04-02-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Old 04-02-2017, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #267 (permalink)

Garage
Electric Air

Will you have anyone selling in Canada?
Old 04-02-2017, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #268 (permalink)

Please hurry and someone get a kit and let us see a couple threads with a installs.......it will be great to hear the feedback from multiple users and some of the install challenges faced for those that have modifications to the cars already that might conflict with some of the kit space needed. Cant wait....
Old 04-02-2017, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #269 (permalink)

Really cool product, I hope this is very successful for you.

Do you have any images of the switch not illuminated?

Would it be possible to use something closer resembling the porsche pull switches? Does your ECU protect for an eternal temp control via a potentiometer?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #270 (permalink)

Now that we have 63 degree days in January, ugh, Global Warming, I am starting to think of all the old A.C. parts which i happily removed. This new system seems so much better and lighter, and the little bit of weight is in the front.
Was thinking there must be a car that has a smaller a.c. system than vintage, OEM Porsche A.C.
( What does ,say, a SMART Car a.c. look like size wise? Any one think that could that be retrofitted? )

....and who is our guinea pig for this new fangled system? Hopefully they live in Louisiana, Texas or Arizona.
The price is high but so is the mercury.
'99 MX-5
7 bicycles and a Metro Card...

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 04-04-2017 at 07:11 PM..
Old 04-03-2017, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #271 (permalink)

We've spent two years looking at how modern small cars do A/C effectively.

When the Prius and Tesla cars came out with decent A/C, I was intrigued to know how they got decent cooling from an electric compressor with half the BTU of an engine driven one. I have since been asked the same question of our system at least a dozen times!

It's all down to two things:

1) The BTU of an engine driven compressor is quoted at MAX RPM. Most of the time it is running at half that quoted BTU or less. They are also 'cycled' with a clutch, so they are not doing work 100% of the time. On, Off, On, Off is a prehistoric control strategy.

2). Electric compressors typically run all the time. They adjust their speed to suit the cooling demand. Once you have cooled the car down, you don't need as much power so you can back off the speed. Better use of energy. If you have an 'inverter' domestic A/C unit, you will be familiar with the variable speed.

We are mid price. I have quotes here from other suppliers which are more than our system and some that are less. We are also supplying a new blower fan so you are getting an upgrade for the whole ventilation system too.

Please also consider the cost and ease of installation. I expect our system to be installed with just hand tools comfortably in a weekend. Even in a car that has never had A/C, you will not have to cut a single hole in the bodyshell.

We'll have at least one car in Texas and one in LA.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #272 (permalink)

Quote:
When the Prius and Tesla cars came out with decent A/C, I was intrigued to know how they got decent cooling from an electric compressor with half the BTU of an engine driven one.
How many BTUs is this unit good for?

Pretty amazing if it cools as good as a Prius or Tesla drawing the stated less than 1 Hp off the engine
Old 04-04-2017, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #273 (permalink)

Quote:
We are also supplying a new blower fan so you are getting an upgrade for the whole ventilation system too.
So cooling is recirculate only mode.

Hmmmm that's going to be comfy.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #274 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-l View Post
So cooling is recirculate only mode.

Hmmmm that's going to be comfy.
Just for the sake of idle jibberjabber, in a very hot climate, 99.9% of the time the a/c in any vehicle gets operated in recirculated mode in order to cope with the superheated, and often grossly humid, outside air. One of the reasons I get such good a/c performance in my 1987 Turbo is because I have taken steps to block all outside air from entering the cabin (as much as possible, at least) - such as by making a blocking plate for the fresh air intake duct, thoroughly insulating all pass through holes into the tub, etc.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #275 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
^^^What about your pie hole?

MattR

Last edited by matt930s; 04-04-2017 at 06:08 PM..
Old 04-04-2017, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #276 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt930s View Post
^^^What about you pie hole?

MattR
I put a toilet plunger over that - quite appropriate, no?!?!
Old 04-04-2017, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #277 (permalink)

Interesting, so the design of old Porsche AC units is like trying to cool your house in summer but leaving the windows open.

Does this electric system use any of the original Porsche system parts?
or is it completely new and separate?

Last edited by Eli W; 04-04-2017 at 06:26 PM..
Old 04-04-2017, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #278 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

It's just the opposite - every aircooled 911 a/c system is 100% recirculation only (no option for passing outside air through the evaporator on its way into the cabin).

Unless you are talking about how a lot of outside air leaks into the cabin at speed, then yes, that is right.

PS - not sure if "every" is correct, as I don't know if the 993 and 964 have different cabin blower systems than models 1989 and older.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 04-04-2017 at 06:14 PM..
Old 04-04-2017, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #279 (permalink)

Is there a way to get fresh, non-a.c.-air, throughout the car (w/o opening the windows) with this new system? ie. Blower only? It sounds too good to be true. I am considering it, not only since my car is black but also it will extend my driving capability and the g/f will be happy.
'99 MX-5
7 bicycles and a Metro Card...
Old 04-04-2017, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #280 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: