Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 2.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wow Dave, your build looks amazing!

Apologies for the lack of comms, an update is long overdue. You can email me anytime!

As anyone who has been in manufacturing will know, there can be a few bumps in the road. For us, this has been the tooling and production of the vacuum formed end caps on the blower. The first samples were great but a registration issue occurred in alignment of the CNC holes which are critical to the assembly. This is currently being resolved and we are due the revised parts 'in a few days'.

As you can see, the end cap is a pretty important piece. This is the sample unit that has been built. You can see in the picture that some screws are missing because of the alignment problem described above.

We have, however, managed to get this one in the test car and we are pretty pleased with the look:

Some of the details:

Plug and play electrical connector to original harness:

Butterfly valve (again plug and play to original slider cable)

We are pushing our supplier of this final part as hard as we can. Everything else is ready to go!

Last edited by Jonny H; 08-12-2017 at 08:10 AM..
Old 08-12-2017, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #321 (permalink)

How do I modify an img tag to resize? (We host our own photos)

Edit: Figured it out - size now sensible!

Last edited by Jonny H; 08-12-2017 at 07:29 AM..
Old 08-12-2017, 01:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #322 (permalink)

Are you willing to sell the airbox separately?

I have already bought all the stuff for a conventional AC in my car, but airbox sure looks like a great improvement over stock.....

Dennis
Old 08-13-2017, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #323 (permalink)

JohnnyH, great job on the pursuit of what 'could be' a manufacturing marvel, modern-day non-power robbing, good performing AC unit. Following through on a project like this always takes a lot of time, vision, money, time, and of course money and time.

I understand the delays, as it generally seems the last 10% of the project consumes darn near as much brain cells and effort as the first 90%. From me, you're patently forgiven for not checking in and updating every facet of progress.

Anyway, your front install looks sanitary, good integration with existing cables, fitments, connectors in a remarkably restricted space. Hoping your performance tests go well.

On a side note, I spent up for a Retro-Aire system in my 3.2 Carrera about 4 years back. The system is a huge improvement over stock, though just 'adequate' in Alabama (way southeast) where temps flirt with 100 yet the killer humidity is 80-90%. Sauna? Nope - Steam Room. Quite honestly, it is less than adequate in the extreme conditions, but so far better than OEM I can't complain.

Your system gives renewed hope for a better solution!

Anyway, best to you. Maybe set yourself a 'monthly reminder' update to your patient pre-orderers, or offer price concession for their feedback, and certainly keep us filled in on the achievement-worthy news. Keep the vision!
Porsche 914-6, '70
Audi S4 Avant V8 manual, '05
Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #324 (permalink)

Well said AH by someone who obviously knows business. I'm on the early build list, and as bad as I want it NOW I also want Jonny to get it right and my impression is that he is.
03 996 Turbo, '05 997 Cpe, 944 Full Race prep
PCA Member since 1971
Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #325 (permalink)

I have faith in them. If you look at how well the Retrofit CDI box was put togheter you have to give them credit. For the next year or so they and we are going to run into issues. This is not a radio install in an opel Astra number 4 million.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #326 (permalink)

We started shipping this week and are working our way through the list. These kits are headed to some varied climates for sure: California, Florida, Texas, Virginia, New Mexico , Australia, Singapore, Puerto Rico, Austria and Norway(! )

Thanks to everybody who has been so patient.

Manual is updated with lots of new photos and more detail. Some small corrections too. It's getting on for 40 pages now so some late night reading for you.

Air Conditioning for Classic 911 - Classic Retrofit

We are selling the blower separately for use with conventional compressors:

High Power Blower for 911 A/C - Classic Retrofit

I have other news regarding a couple of developments too.

We had a really nice late model US LHD Carrera 3.2 come to us. It was an original AC car but the compressor clutch had expired and the condensers looked a bit worse for wear. The original A/C blower, fan and evaporator were in excellent shape so we decided to do a hybrid system, pairing the original evaporator in the smuggler's box with the electric compressor and ECU. Interfaced the ECU to work with the original console AC controls too. It doesn't blow as hard as our blower but it certainly gets nice and cold.

We have two 964's in build as well. Again, using the electric compressor with the original blower and evaporator (refurbished). We think we can get the condenser AND the compressor ahead of the front left wheel. If we can get that to work out it will be invisible A/C!
Old 08-25-2017, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #327 (permalink)

Thanks for the update....
I'm located in Phoenix Arizona probably one of the highest temperature (we average over 100 days a year at over 100 degrees), highly populated (6th most populated US City) places in the USA....so I'm really looking forward to the installation short and long term results!
sc

Last edited by sc; 08-25-2017 at 12:06 PM..
Old 08-25-2017, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #328 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
It doesn't blow as hard as our blower but it certainly gets nice and cold.
Ha ha - my kinda' peoples!!!
Old 08-25-2017, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #329 (permalink)

Garage
What I would really like is if your high capacity blower could blow fresh (not necessarily air-conditioned air) into the cabin of my '88 3.2 carrera. Here in NW PA, I don't need the compressor running all the time just to blow fresh air thru the dash vents, but on the original system apparently the compressor needs to be running.
Will your blower force fresh air alone? Also, what is the CFM rating on your blower vs the original blower? Thanks.
Yukon Yellow
Old 08-25-2017, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #330 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
What I would really like is if your high capacity blower could blow fresh (not necessarily air-conditioned air) into the cabin of my '88 3.2 carrera. Here in NW PA, I don't need the compressor running all the time just to blow fresh air thru the dash vents, but on the original system apparently the compressor needs to be running.
Will your blower force fresh air alone? Also, what is the CFM rating on your blower vs the original blower? Thanks.
Yes, of course it still blows fresh air without the A/C running.

Sadly, the CFM values aren't published for the original Porsche blower so there is no comparison that can be made by comparing values. Our blower has a larger motor and two cages instead of one.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #331 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Johnny... Hats off and Mucho respect for selling the blower separately!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #332 (permalink)

Great job guys.....I will buy the blower only assembly to work on my car, great piece of engineering.

One question though, I am presuming that I can (or need to) fit a conventional capillary tube type of control for the evaporator, and I assume that the fan is controlled by the regular slide control?

Is there any wiring included with the blower only purchase or do I need to provide that?

Thanks!

Dennis
Old 08-26-2017, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #333 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
These kits are headed to some varied climates for sure: Florida.....Texas....Singapore...
Looking forward to the reports from the field from the hot, humid places!
Old 08-27-2017, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #334 (permalink)

Just bought a kit through there website. I'm looking forward to receiving mine in due time. I can't wait to have AC when I'm waiting in the pits at my next track day
Old 08-29-2017, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #335 (permalink)

Garage
I just received mine and will share pics soon

www.davekealoha.com
Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #336 (permalink)

Garage
subbed
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 09-07-2017, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #337 (permalink)

Garage
Received mine, earlier this week. It looks like a very well thought out kit.

The better half is very happy! knowing she will be kool next summer. Thanks Jonny!

Couple of pics on my thread

Pendulum Outlaw, Build, Adventures and Misadventures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV5aIALWlG8
Old 09-08-2017, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #338 (permalink)

Has anyone installed their kit yet? Seeing a lot of us boxing pics, not so many installation pics...
Old 09-12-2017, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #339 (permalink)

Garage
My install

I have begun my installation, but unfortunately my truck blew a head gasket, so I am splitting my time between the 2 projects. Thus far I have removed my front valence as I am opting to install a RUF style spoiler so that I can avoid having to trim the fog light bracket on my factory valance. I also have installed both the condenser and drier. I likely will be getting the heads back for my pickup today, so I will have to switch focus for a day or two, but I will continue to provide updates as I progress.

I have traded numerous emails with Jonny to further clarify my understanding of the directions, and he has been nothing short of fantastic. A couple of things to mention (please note that your kit may not have this issue, and Jonny indicated he would correct this going forward), I had to shorten the horseshoe strap by an inch on the tub side as it interfered with the the twist on the factory bracket, and I also had to drill a new hole in the strap at the correct level to align with the existing threaded hole in the tub.

I also had to adjust the angle of the bracket that holds the drier so that it doesn't make direct contact against the condenser fins. I still need to install a piece of the foam padding provided between the drier and condenser, but I will save this for when I install the hoses and make the final fit adjustments.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #340 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: