Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

these are great looking products, job well done
Old 09-13-2017, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #341 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Jonny, I pulled all the AC out of the car (condenser, compressor, lines, etc) but was wondering if the blower can be run without all the rest of the AC hardware, other than the wiring, which I still have in place, to blow air through the cabin? Unless the windows are down, air circulation is piss poor, so if your unit can blow air through the existing upper and lower center vents, that would be great.

If so, what would be the source of said air?

Check out my books on Amazon: Under Big Sky, and Achieving Lasting Happiness
Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #342 (permalink)

Garage
For those of you awaiting the arrival of your new a/c system, you may want to consider making decisions on the following items:
1) fog lights - whether to trim the supporting bracket on your factory valance and gut the fog light (Jonny indicates that he will be coming up with an alternative to re-activate it at a later time) versus doing as I am doing by getting an aftermarket spoiler that pushes the fog lighrs further forward in order to not interfere with the new condenser. I you go the same route I have allow enough time to receive it, get it test fitted and have it painted.
2) push button placement - make your decision as to whether you are going to install it in your dash or in a center console (if you have one). I decided to mount it in the center console since the existing dials become useless once you implement the new solution. I decided to remove the bracket containing the 2 a/c dials and replace it with a gauge panel sold by 9xauto.com (actually bought 2, 1 that is blank, and another containing a voltmeter). If you aren't needing your existing a/c you can begin the removal of the existing center console buttons and getting your replacement panels in hand.
3) prep for compressor installation - if you decide to install the compressor in the smuggler's box, you may want to consider getting a replacement lid that has holes in it for added venting. While Jonny has indicated that no additional cooling for the compressor is required, I decided it couldn't hurt to provide a means of heat to escape the otherwise enclosed area. If you go this route you can take care of it in advance.
4) windshield washer - you will need an alternative to the large wheel well tank in order to provide space for the new condenser. Doing so will allow you to clean the wheel well area in preparation for your condenser install. I already had the secondary booster bottle option in my trunk, so I chose to re-plumb my system so that all 3 systems (headlight, regular windshield and intense wash) continue to function regardless of the fact that I only use the regular windshield washer function. There are some good posts on this site that help you understand the plumbing.

Since I wasn't using my old a/c system I moved forward with the removal of all my existing components prior to having received my new system.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #343 (permalink)
1967 frankenporsch

Hi Jonni H

I'm today installing the kit to a friend of mine and I have a doubt in the cables attached
to the power switch. (Picture attached )

I need to know where to connect the black and red wire (left ones in the picture)

Regards.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #344 (permalink)

^ regarding the switch connections:

Red - 12V (ignition)
Black - Gnd (chassis)
Old 09-16-2017, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #345 (permalink)
1967 frankenporsch

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #346 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Jonny H - a bit of background and a few questions:

I'm really debating what to do. I live in Oregon where we just don't need air conditioning that much. Further, I have a Targa so unless is it really hot, I like to have the top off so A/C wouldn't be used anyway. However, my current fresh air blower doesn't work so it needs to be replaced just to get some air blowing. In other words I'm thinking of installing your fresh air blower as just that - a fresh air blower not as a new fresh air blower connected to factory A/C in a hybrid install. But I wonder if in the future I may want full A/C as I drive the car more.

If someone buys just your high power blower for fresh air and in the future decides they want full A/C will you consider in the future selling the rest of the full A/C kit?

Are you going to create a doc that is specific to just the fresh air blower? Or if not, just point out any specific differences to the doc for the full install?

Does the fresh air blower alone require your updated alternator? Does it still require the push button control or is it controlled via the stock levers?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2017, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #347 (permalink)

Any reports on the way from someone trying this in a hot desert climate (e.g. Palm Springs)?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #348 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddetch View Post
Hi Jonny H - a bit of background and a few questions:

I'm really debating what to do. I live in Oregon where we just don't need air conditioning that much. Further, I have a Targa so unless is it really hot, I like to have the top off so A/C wouldn't be used anyway. However, my current fresh air blower doesn't work so it needs to be replaced just to get some air blowing. In other words I'm thinking of installing your fresh air blower as just that - a fresh air blower not as a new fresh air blower connected to factory A/C in a hybrid install. But I wonder if in the future I may want full A/C as I drive the car more.

If someone buys just your high power blower for fresh air and in the future decides they want full A/C will you consider in the future selling the rest of the full A/C kit?

Are you going to create a doc that is specific to just the fresh air blower? Or if not, just point out any specific differences to the doc for the full install?

Does the fresh air blower alone require your updated alternator? Does it still require the push button control or is it controlled via the stock levers?

Thanks!
Just for info... Air Con air de-mists a windscreen much better because it removes most of the moisture from the air.

Is that alone a good enough reason to buy one for your car?
Old 09-22-2017, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #349 (permalink)

Oregon climate is pretty similar to the UK. Although the air temperature rarely gets above 100F, the solar effect on our cars' large glasshouse is unbearable above 75F unless you have the windows open which becomes the 'normal' way of driving these cars. This soon gets old when you have to do a long trip with a passenger, the wind buffet noise is pretty awful above 50 mph.

Up until about 2000, only new luxury cars in the UK had A/C, you had to specify it on lesser models and some weren't set up for it at all. These days ALL new cars in the UK have it. Even when the temperature is low, new cars with climate control run the A/C, so it is on all the time (unless you specifically switch it off).

We have all literally become acclimatised to the 'fresh' feeling of a modern car, which makes our old cars feel stuffy and claustrophobic. This has more to do with the reduction of humidity than air temperature. It also has a benefit of rapidly clearing fog from the windows.

So, for me, I have my A/C on low fan pretty much all the time and drive with my windows closed. I can hold a conversation with a passenger at 70mph on a hot day. The car interior feels airy and somehow bigger. The windows defog almost instantly. I can defog the rear screen quicker with the AC than with the rear defogger!

With regard to the new blower, it is plug and play with the original electrical plug and works on the original sliders. It uses around 10A at full fan speed which about the same as the original fresh air blower. So, yes, it could be used as a retrofit replacement for the fresh air blower on its own. You can refer to the blower section in the manual for install.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #350 (permalink)

Johnny, could you post dimensions of the Airbox? I would like to see if there is a chance it would fit in my 914 with some rotation and modification

Thank you

-Andrew
Old 09-28-2017, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #351 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
So has anyone gotten one of these units completely installed yet? - outside the factory-assisted test cars? Would love to read some thoughts on both the install process and the product effectiveness. It looks well made and seems like it should work, but I need to know if I am saving for this thing or a set of real RSR-finished wheels. ; )
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 09-29-2017, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #352 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfab View Post
Johnny, could you post dimensions of the Airbox? I would like to see if there is a chance it would fit in my 914 with some rotation and modification

Thank you

-Andrew
Ok, let me pile on here by saying I have been watching this very closely myself thinking about how this could work in a 914. The small cabin size of the 914 would seem to make it possible to cool but the design of the car would probably mean a full development of an under dash assembly with evaporator and fan integrated. The original ones are hard to find in decent shape, but the size and position of them was not too bad.

Will let the 911 guys prove this out and debug it, but would love it if Johnny considered us teeners as a next project to evaluate.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #353 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
So has anyone gotten one of these units completely installed yet? - outside the factory-assisted test cars? Would love to read some thoughts on both the install process and the product effectiveness. It looks well made and seems like it should work, but I need to know if I am saving for this thing or a set of real RSR-finished wheels. ; )
First three systems are up and running. First two are Porsche shops in the UK. One DIY guy in Europe has completed today with just a couple of minor niggles, down to production variance.

I put these niggles out there for those doing installs:

1. As well as the normal o-ring, our fittings have an internal thread and additional o-ring. They are meant to be thread locked when built but one of them came loose causing a leak which was found on pressure test. Customer found the leak and tightened the fitting. Please check your fittings are properly screwed together before use. Manufacturer has been notified.

2. Drip of condensate from bottom of blower. The blower end caps use a foam seal but on some units, there is a small gap between seal and cover. Best way to test is to block the drain tubes and put a little water in through the side vent (I used a water spray bottle). If the unit drips, turn it upside down, loosen the three cover screws. Adjust the cover by tapping it so it pushes harder against the seal. Retest. We will be leak testing them from now on. Might be prudent to use both left and right drain tubes as water tends to pool at one end if blower is not level. If you already have installed the blower, then trim off excess foam tape in area of drip and apply a little silicone sealer between end cap and cover when dry.

P.s. There is a 914 in the workshop right now....
Old 09-29-2017, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #354 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
I think the 914-6 conversion crowd would certainly be interested as well as the 914 crowd. The 4 cylinder motor can have a compressor fitted (though not very nicely), but the firewall interferes with a usual 911 compressor mount unless the firewall is hacked up.
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 09-30-2017, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #355 (permalink)

914 people would be very interested—the options for ANY compressor mean hacking the shelf in the engine compartment (4s and 6s), and hacking the firewall (6s) or coming up with some set of pulleys to set the compressor back (forward to a 911 owner).

The electric compressor would be an awesome solution.

I will totally be into this set up, even if it if doesn't freeze me.

The evap/blower and the compressor are two major problems—the third problem is where to put the condenser. I am curious what you come up with.

-Andrew

Last edited by Amfab; 09-30-2017 at 03:52 PM..
Old 09-30-2017, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #356 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfab View Post
The evap/blower and the compressor are two major problems—the third problem is where to put the condenser. I am curious what you come up with.
-Andrew
Hi, Andrew,

The factory location for the condenser (the floor of the frunk under the spare) does allow for a pretty big condenser to be fitted there, along with a fan. The trick may be where the cooling fan gets its "fresh" air from, but I suspect it draws fine enough from the average frunk through holes and such in the sheetmetal......

I am going to lay back now on the 914 stuff now that I know Johnny is looking at it. Once the 911 system gets the kinks out of it, and Johnny is ready, a new thread is probably in order on the 914 page or on The World.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #357 (permalink)

Still waiting on field reports from anyone who has finished their install?
Old 10-07-2017, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #358 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodri64 View Post
Hi Jonni H

I'm today installing the kit to a friend of mine and I have a doubt in the cables attached
to the power switch. (Picture attached )

I need to know where to connect the black and red wire (left ones in the picture)

Regards.
I am just wondering how the install went? Is it nice and cool now?
Old 10-08-2017, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #359 (permalink)
1967 frankenporsch

Hi Joe !
Two major hurricanes separated by two weeks stopped everything.
I don't even know where my friend is. (LOL)
Now in a more serious tone those hurricanes hit us really bad.
Regards.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #360 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: