Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Keeping cool everyone?

Jonny... Very interesting. Looked at website and did not find info on AC. Where's more detail?

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I'm guessing you have the a/c evaporator somehow attached to the stock blower and are just using the stocker blower to circulate? Or is there an entirely different blower? Are the motor and compressor one small unit similar to that of a window mounted a/c unit? The technology for those things is so cheap and compact I figured it was only a matter of time until it bleed into the auto industry, especially for mid and rear engine cars where running an engine-mounted compressor is an exercise in cutting and fitting seemingly dubious hoses.

Re the amp draw: that's not a bad amp draw and if a person were truly concerned they could create a separate fused system adjacent the stock fuse box (or wherever) and run a higher amperage alternator which is extremely easy. I regularly run uprated alternators on 70-80s vintage Ferrari's with zero issues.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Spiderman

Garage
Kind of interested to know where this dumps the heat condensor wise ?? Still need some hoses there. Otherwise, a good idea.
Black 12 VW-GTI, little bit fancy for me but hoping not a mistake.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Oh Johny. I am so in on this. I am in Dallas, this would really work out well for me. I hope you can get it ready to go by the time I need that new fuse block this winter
Old 07-15-2016, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Brilliant! Impressed with the way Classic Retrofit engineers/designs products to meet the needs.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Straight shooter

Garage
Interesting to hear how this works. Would rush to market if it's functioning as posted in the video.
“Of the value traps, the most widespread and pernicious is value rigidity. This is an inability to revalue what one sees because of commitment to previous values. In motorcycle maintenance, you MUST rediscover what you do as you go. Rigid values makes this impossible.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old 07-15-2016, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
GREAT IDEA!!! You should redo that video with some editing and a good camera and mike. You are a professional company and it is tough to hear people say they could not hear audio or switch it off.

Electric compressor is great tech and a great application in early 911s that don't need more stuff in the engine compartment, and benefit from weight way way up front. Not to mention shorter hoses that are all in the same are. BRILLIANT!!!

Look forward to hearing more.......

I have been working on my own electric a/c systems, but the prototypes are pretty rough, but I will give you a sneak preview:

LINCOLN PROTOTYPE UNDER TEST

CHRYSLER PROTOTYPE

PICK UP LONG TERM TESTING

BAD YANK HUMOUR....COULD NOT HELP MYSELF!!
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1995
RGruppe #79

Last edited by dicklague; 07-15-2016 at 10:02 AM..
Old 07-15-2016, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

I'd would be very happy and very surprised if a stock alternator could keep up with a massive draw like this.

I've always wished for some kind of fan bracket and AC-to-alternator bracket so that I could replace the bespoke 911 alternator with a $100 bog-standard high-output alternator that you can find on any modern car. Replacement costs for 911 alternators, particularly if done professionally, are costly, and none of them work particularly well.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Should be interesting to watch development.

Wonder if it'll work in a 914 with a 911 engine/alternator.
Hmmm...maybe in a 356 if I change it all over to 12v....hmmmmm
'02 S6 Avant
'99.5 A4 2.8 / '65 Ducati Falcon 80
Old 07-15-2016, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Good point above where are the dumping the heat out?

I was thinking similar tech to a window unit - all contained in one package that could be removed.

Got a good laugh out of the lengths people have gone to to add window units to their cars :-)
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I'm very interested, keep us updated.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Much speculation and assumptions beign made here. Pelican ac threads are always such fun!

Yes, we use an electric compressor but it is not the 'Jegs' one. The condensor is under the front fender in place of the huge washer bottle (30lbs when full of water!). The COP for the compressor means we get twice the cooling output power for the input power.

40A is not a massive amount of current. You are using more than that everytime you drive with lights and defogger. It is vital to manage the power though.

The heart of our system is our own custom power management controller. This can be configured to match the power budget of the car. The controller regulates the compressor speed in order to maintain a healthy charging system and battery.

The early cars will need an uprated alternator so we will provide one with the kit.

We are engineers who like to share. I'm sorry about the audio and my accent but the real thing to observe here is the temperatures. There are no tricks. I drove the car 200 miles one day last week with the a/c on all the time. Battery and charging system AOK.

To you guys in Texas, we make no promises until we have done some proper hot weather testing!
Old 07-15-2016, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Sorry if I missed an earlier post but do you have a ballpark on the cost of the kit? I know it might be too early to give a rough estimate so forgive me if I'm jumping the gun. I am very interested in this.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

It is likely to cost a bit more than the conventional kits because the parts are less common and we have R&D cost to recoup. You will save on installation costs and of course, weight!

Btw, no holes drilled in the shell.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

My 72 will be going into assembly next year. I have planned for AC. This looks like a worthy installation. So much better than the original system parts. Now, What about some vents in an early car?
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 07-15-2016, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Much speculation and assumptions beign made here. Pelican ac threads are always such fun!

Yes, we use an electric compressor but it is not the 'Jegs' one. The condensor is under the front fender in place of the huge washer bottle (30lbs when full of water!). The COP for the compressor means we get twice the cooling output power for the input power.

40A is not a massive amount of current. You are using more than that everytime you drive with lights and defogger. It is vital to manage the power though.

The heart of our system is our own custom power management controller. This can be configured to match the power budget of the car. The controller regulates the compressor speed in order to maintain a healthy charging system and battery.

The early cars will need an uprated alternator so we will provide one with the kit.

We are engineers who like to share. I'm sorry about the audio and my accent but the real thing to observe here is the temperatures. There are no tricks. I drove the car 200 miles one day last week with the a/c on all the time. Battery and charging system AOK.

To you guys in Texas, we make no promises until we have done some proper hot weather testing!
I'll say it a gain, I am your perfect beta tester. I already pulled that monstrous washer bottle from my build and as previously posted, I am NOT putting in any rear-mounted, hose-crazy engine-driven AC systems in my build. See build thread below.

My WAY over budget /backdate/lightweight/hot rod..

I was planning on driving hot until someone solved it with an electrical system. PM me if you want to talk about it more.
1985 Prussian Blau M491 Targa - 1 of 65 in the US
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
The COP for the compressor means we get twice the cooling output power for the input power.
The Coefficient Of Performance is more than the compressor isn't it? Includes condenser, evaporator etc.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Does this mean this kit would not work for those with oil coolers in both fenders? That's how mine is set up. Are there any other alternatives for condenser placement?

Electric powered automotive a/c sounds interesting!
Old 07-15-2016, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

subscribe
2007 911 Turbo (water and air pumper)
2012 Panamera 4S (for the wife, I swear)
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Sub'd, REALLY interested in this!
Old 07-15-2016, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: