Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 2.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Jonny H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South East England
Posts: 927
Here's P911R's ElectroCooler install in his SC based hot rod.

Car is based in Texas. Built by RS-Werks in Delaware.





More about this car, #pebbles911 @P911R or click through on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ClassicRetrofit/
__________________
www.classicretrofit.com
Old 12-11-2017, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #381 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jonny H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South East England
Posts: 927
Pretty little '78 SC in New Zealand.

Install by Giltrap Official Porsche Centre Auckland. Right Hand Drive so compressor near battery.




__________________
www.classicretrofit.com
Old 12-11-2017, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #382 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Here's P911R's ElectroCooler install in his SC based hot rod.

Car is based in Texas. Built by RS-Werks in Delaware.





More about this car, #pebbles911 @P911R or click through on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ClassicRetrofit/
I was looking at the car while the guys were doing the install and trying to picture where everything would fit in my 914-6 3.2
I hope to do A/C 2018.
__________________
A part isn't purchased until paid
Old 12-11-2017, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #383 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jonny H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South East England
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepstein View Post
I was looking at the car while the guys were doing the install and trying to picture where everything would fit in my 914-6 3.2
I hope to do A/C 2018.
Here's our thoughts with 914 (We have one here). Put the Sawzall down, forget cutting out the spare wheel well.

Condenser ahead of rear wheel.
Compressor either in trunk (lazy man's install), above relay board or suspended under trunk floor near gearbox (opposite side to starter motor)
Hoses run through rocker covers.
Replacement for fresh air blower with evaporator.
__________________
www.classicretrofit.com
Old 12-11-2017, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #384 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Here's our thoughts with 914 (We have one here). Put the Sawzall down, forget cutting out the spare wheel well.

Condenser ahead of rear wheel.
Compressor either in trunk (lazy man's install), above relay board or suspended under trunk floor near gearbox (opposite side to starter motor)
Hoses run through rocker covers.
Replacement for fresh air blower with evaporator.
Im guessing you mean below the relay board on driver side - that space, and the rear wheel is 914-6 oil tank and console. I could do a small battery on passenger side and use that space and in front of the rear wheel. Plenty of time to work it out. I think theres another unit at the shop or on order so I can check fit. I'm holding off on bodywork and paint so I can play with fitment and not have to worry about cosmetics. Thanks.
__________________
A part isn't purchased until paid
Old 12-11-2017, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #385 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jonny H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South East England
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepstein View Post
Im guessing you mean below the relay board on driver side - that space, and the rear wheel is 914-6 oil tank and console. I could do a small battery on passenger side and use that space and in front of the rear wheel. Plenty of time to work it out. I think theres another unit at the shop or on order so I can check fit. I'm holding off on bodywork and paint so I can play with fitment and not have to worry about cosmetics. Thanks.
Check out the space underneath beside the gearbox on the opposite side of the starter motor. Loads of room there to hang a compressor.
__________________
www.classicretrofit.com
Old 12-11-2017, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #386 (permalink)
 
914-6Werkshop
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Check out the space underneath beside the gearbox on the opposite side of the starter motor. Loads of room there to hang a compressor.
__________________
A part isn't purchased until paid
Old 12-11-2017, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #387 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Vereeken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Regarding a rear fender install (ahead of rear wheel), surprisingly it does not need that much more hose.

There's a car in Monterey which is being built this way. Awaiting pictures.
So if you select rear fender install is that driver side or pax side on a LHD car?
Do you supply the modified hosing?
Does this solve the issue of the washer bottle and fog light valence?
__________________
My dad always found an excuse why not to buy a Porsche, so I guess I am all out of excuses.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #388 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jonny H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South East England
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vereeken View Post
So if you select rear fender install is that driver side or pax side on a LHD car?
Do you supply the modified hosing?
Does this solve the issue of the washer bottle and fog light valence?
Yes and yes. Hose is supplied in a continuous length. The hose is cut to length AFTER installation on the car, the fittings are then crimped with a simple hand tool. This means they can be made to any length by the installer working on the vehicle.

Twin Spark Racing in the Netherlands are building an RSR with the rear condenser setup, can't be that far from you.
__________________
www.classicretrofit.com

Last edited by Jonny H; 12-11-2017 at 11:44 PM..
Old 12-11-2017, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #389 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jonny H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South East England
Posts: 927
Mark, you can't really see in your photo but there is some space above the driveshaft on the RHS.
__________________
www.classicretrofit.com
Old 12-11-2017, 11:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #390 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Mark, you can't really see in your photo but there is some space above the driveshaft on the RHS.
Yes, I believe you. I'm the one who assembled the car.
__________________
A part isn't purchased until paid

Last edited by mepstein; 12-12-2017 at 02:21 PM..
Old 12-12-2017, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #391 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Amfab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Here's our thoughts with 914 (We have one here). Put the Sawzall down, forget cutting out the spare wheel well.

Condenser ahead of rear wheel.
Re 914s:

I am curious about the idea of some sort of hole or holes cut around the battery tray (perhaps with a mesh battery tray support), to allow at least some airflow from the wheel well into the engine compartment. This would create better airflow in the wheel well and decrease the low pressure in the engine compartment at higher speeds.

My concerns are:
A ) could this weaken the body too much in the areaóis the vertical area above the traditional hell-hole/rear long area too integral to be perforated?

B ) could this introduce too much heat into the engine compartment?

-Andrew
Old 12-12-2017, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #392 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jonny H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South East England
Posts: 927
^ Hi Andrew. Unfortunately all Retrofit employees take a sacred vow whilst knelt before the Porsche Gods. They repeat this mantra...

'Drill no holes, cut no wires, the bodyshell shell must remain as one!'

Seriously though, we get plenty of airflow through the condenser on our 911 system under the arch so I don't see that the 914 would be any different.
__________________
www.classicretrofit.com
Old 12-12-2017, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #393 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Amfab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 36
Great,

Does the 911 Airbox work in the 914 cowl, or will you be making another style?

-Andrew

Last edited by Amfab; 12-12-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Old 12-12-2017, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #394 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo
 
Rawknees'Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: North TexASS
Posts: 10,370
^^^

Yep, no problems with airflow in wheel arches at all.

Dayyyuummmnnn, Jonny, your evaporator housing/airbox really looks sharp in those install pics- very nicely done!
Old 12-12-2017, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #395 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
^ Hi Andrew. Unfortunately all Retrofit employees take a sacred vow whilst knelt before the Porsche Gods. They repeat this mantra...

'Drill no holes, cut no wires, the bodyshell shell must remain as one!'

Seriously though, we get plenty of airflow through the condenser on our 911 system under the arch so I don't see that the 914 would be any different.
The condenser is in the rear wheel well on the blue #2 car. Guys said it fit better that way.
__________________
A part isn't purchased until paid
Old 12-12-2017, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #396 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jonny H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South East England
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepstein View Post
The condenser is in the rear wheel well on the blue #2 car. Guys said it fit better that way.
Thanks, I had no idea! It's good to have some spies on the ground.
__________________
www.classicretrofit.com
Old 12-12-2017, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #397 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jonny H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South East England
Posts: 927
I hope everyone is enjoying the Christmas break.

To all the folks patiently awaiting A/C kits, unbeknown to us, the first run depleted the entire stock of the evaporator we use in our blower. Denso are having to make more for us and this has set us back a little. The evaporators are due end of January and we will stockpile to prevent this happening again.

We've been pretty busy behind the scenes too as you can read about here and also in GT Porsche magazine:

Ruf Automobile and the Return of the Tyre Kicker - Ferdinand

2018 is shaping up to be a very exciting year! I hope you all have a great one too!
__________________
www.classicretrofit.com
Old 12-29-2017, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #398 (permalink)
Vintage Owner
 
Jack Stands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 1,476
Garage
If the orientation of the compressor isnít critical, could it perhaps fit in front of the battery tray? Alternately, source a smaller lithium iron battery to place there and utilize the battery tray to place the compressor. I think having the wire run from the battery/alternator/compressor as short as possible would be advantageous, though the AC hoses would still have to run up front.

Just some random thoughts! Iím very glad youíre considering the 914-6s as another possible market.
__________________

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 12-29-2017, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #399 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DG624's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,092
I removed my A/C because it never worked and it leaked coolant through the hoses. What type of coolant does this use and what special features are needed to fit 80s Carreras?
Old 12-29-2017, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #400 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:43 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.