Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stands View Post
If the orientation of the compressor isn’t critical, could it perhaps fit in front of the battery tray? Alternately, source a smaller lithium iron battery to place there and utilize the battery tray to place the compressor. I think having the wire run from the battery/alternator/compressor as short as possible would be advantageous, though the AC hoses would still have to run up front.

Just some random thoughts! I’m very glad you’re considering the 914-6s as another possible market.
There are lots of possibilities and placement options. That's the great thing about the electric compressor, you can pretty much put it anywhere. It does need to be upright within 5 degrees but other than that, do whatever you fancy. We just did a classic Mini and put the compressor in the trunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG624 View Post
I removed my A/C because it never worked and it leaked coolant through the hoses. What type of coolant does this use and what special features are needed to fit 80s Carreras?
R134A. Special features? Well, there are a few prerequisites. There's 50 plus pages of info in the PDF files on this page:

Air Conditioning for Classic 911 - Classic Retrofit
Old 12-29-2017, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #401 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
I hope everyone is enjoying the Christmas break.

To all the folks patiently awaiting A/C kits, unbeknown to us, the first run depleted the entire stock of the evaporator we use in our blower. Denso are having to make more for us and this has set us back a little. The evaporators are due end of January and we will stockpile to prevent this happening again.

We've been pretty busy behind the scenes too as you can read about here and also in GT Porsche magazine:

Ruf Automobile and the Return of the Tyre Kicker - Ferdinand

2018 is shaping up to be a very exciting year! I hope you all have a great one too!
That is shaping up to be a great year! Some really COOL projects!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #402 (permalink)

Happy New Year Porsche Fans!

Electrocooler Firmware Update v1.1
----------------------------------------

Based on feedback from our first batch of installs we have a couple of improvements to the control algorithm and a couple of new features.

The update runs on a PC only and is in a zip file ‘Electrocooler_v_1_2.zip’ on this page:

Air Conditioning for Classic 911 - Classic Retrofit
Old 01-02-2018, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #403 (permalink)

Garage
Preparing for the install and had a question about the fan housing with the 90A alternator on a 911SC.

From the install guide:
Early vehicle must be updated to use the 90A alternator from the 3.2 Carrera. As the 90A alternator is longer, the fan housing needs to machined deeper to accept it. This is not a difficult
operation for a machine shop but does require some careful measurement so that the fan pulley is perfectly aligned with the crank pulley.

Could a fan housing from a later car be used instead of machining the original housing?

Last edited by PushinRice; 01-09-2018 at 06:16 AM..
Old 01-09-2018, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #404 (permalink)

Garage
See Jon’s post #9 in this thread High Amp Alternator for 84 911 . According to him you can use a 3.2 alternator housing setup as an alternative, but I would anticipate that you won’t find the parts you need for less than $500.

Regards,
David
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #405 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. I'm realizing as I search that it will be pricey for updated parts.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #406 (permalink)

Garage
PushinRice,

Not sure where you are in MA. but when you are done with your A/C install, I would like the opportunity to check it out, get your thoughts and maybe some notes about the job for a potential future install in my 83sc.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #407 (permalink)

Garage
I'm about 20 miles North of Boston. Not sure if I will be tackling the install myself, or will be having a shop do it. The install seems straightforward but possibly time consuming. Might cost a lot to have a pro do it and there don't seem to be many special skills or tools needed.

I have not received the parts yet, but hope to get rolling on the install in March. You are totally welcome to come check out the parts and install at any point once it gets going.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #408 (permalink)

Garage
That would be great, thanks! We can't be too far apart, I'm about 30 miles north of Boston.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #409 (permalink)

Really interested for use on a 993 depending on price point and ease of installation and availability down under.

Last edited by brappa; 01-14-2018 at 02:06 AM..
Old 01-14-2018, 02:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #410 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerkes View Post
See Jon’s post #9 in this thread High Amp Alternator for 84 911 . According to him you can use a 3.2 alternator housing setup as an alternative, but I would anticipate that you won’t find the parts you need for less than $500.

Regards,
David
Yes, either swap to a 3.2 housing or machine out the SC one deeper. We are working on 'proper' high output alternator that will be a direct swap in (without machining) for all model years but we are probably looking at Summer for release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsf911 View Post
That would be great, thanks! We can't be too far apart, I'm about 30 miles north of Boston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushinRice View Post
I'm about 20 miles North of Boston. Not sure if I will be tackling the install myself, or will be having a shop do it. The install seems straightforward but possibly time consuming. Might cost a lot to have a pro do it and there don't seem to be many special skills or tools needed.

I have not received the parts yet, but hope to get rolling on the install in March. You are totally welcome to come check out the parts and install at any point once it gets going.
It's great how people help each other out in this community. Of course, if I can assist in any way, just email me. I'm sure David (dyerkes) will agree, we are pretty much pen pals now!

Hang in there if you're expecting a system, we got let down on a delivery but we hope to start shipping in the next couple of weeks at last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brappa View Post
Really interested for use on a 993 depending on price point and ease of installation and availability down under.
Well, we have this test mule. I know it's just a 'bitsa' but you have to start somewhere. . Btw, user 'PorkChops' on PFA has our classic system and has sent us some pretty nice feedback on performance in the Australian Summer.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #411 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
Jonny, did you pay Brappa for that setup question? My goodness!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #412 (permalink)

Just watched Matt on TheSmokingTire do a review/test drive on the 400R. Incredible car.

78 911sc Targa
70 911T
Old 01-14-2018, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #413 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Here's our thoughts with 914 (We have one here). Put the Sawzall down, forget cutting out the spare wheel well.

Condenser ahead of rear wheel.
Compressor either in trunk (lazy man's install), above relay board or suspended under trunk floor near gearbox (opposite side to starter motor)
Hoses run through rocker covers.
Replacement for fresh air blower with evaporator.
What are the dimensions of the condenser? The passenger side 914 wheel well is pretty tight.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #414 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetus View Post
What are the dimensions of the condenser? The passenger side 914 wheel well is pretty tight.
Dimensions: 370mm x 270mm x 95mm (to fan tip) = 14.6 x 10.6 x 3.7 inches.
Weight: 2.3kg = 5 lbs

Some folks might care to know that:

Fan is made in Italy by Spal.
Condenser is either Behr / Nissens. Behr is OEM for Porsche.
Fully shrouded and foam sealed assembly is designed and manufactured in the UK.
Unit has been road tested for 2 years.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #415 (permalink)

Rear fender install on customer's own bracket. Nicely done:

Same car, mid way through install. Front blower installed in place of fresh air blower, compressor in smuggler's box.

Pictures courtesy of Twin Spark Racing in the Netherlands.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #416 (permalink)

Maybe you answered this and I missed it but, will the evaporator box with ducts for the 911 application work in the 914 application or is there a separate 914 unit?
Old 01-18-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #417 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfab View Post
Maybe you answered this and I missed it but, will the evaporator box with ducts for the 911 application work in the 914 application or is there a separate 914 unit?
I don't think it will fit. 914 blower unit is a totally different shape. We have some ideas around 914 but it is some way off.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #418 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think it will fit. 914 blower unit is a totally different shape. We have some ideas around 914 but it is some way off.
Fortunately I weld slowly...
Old 01-18-2018, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #419 (permalink)

Why did that customer opt for rear placement? Is there any loss in performance from longer hose?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #420 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: